• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

pnutpug

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Spring training baseball time in AZ, can't beat a day at the ballpark. But I did go to the Sally next to me and picked up two pairs of shoes for a trade. Had seen them last week but at a 13D, passed:

AE Strands in black 13D, in great shape, still have original heels, small scuff/scrape on toe, but very fixable:

Second pair, 13M, burgundy penny loafer, new heels, well made, don't know maker, footbed says "Genuine Handsewn, Made in U.S.A", any ideas on maker?

Lastly, a pair of Hickey Freeman customized clothes grey dress slacks 34x31½ cuffed 1½", fell like new without tag, still had some sort of item number inside:

Loafers might be SAS, but that's a guess. The ones I've seen have the size under the tongue, though.

lastdonb

Reaction score

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Maybe the thread is quieter because some people have stopped posting three-foot-long posts consisting solely of pictures of the awesome Hickey Freeman suits from 1989 and Cole Haan shoes and Calvin Klein boxer shorts they thrifted today.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got a pic of the loafer soles?

Spring training baseball time in AZ, can't beat a day at the ballpark. But I did go to the Sally next to me and picked up two pairs of shoes for a trade. Had seen them last week but at a 13D, passed:

AE Strands in black 13D, in great shape, still have original heels, small scuff/scrape on toe, but very fixable:

Second pair, 13M, burgundy penny loafer, new heels, well made, don't know maker, footbed says "Genuine Handsewn, Made in U.S.A", any ideas on maker?

Lastly, a pair of Hickey Freeman customized clothes grey dress slacks 34x31½ cuffed 1½", fell like new without tag, still had some sort of item number inside:

Typhoid Jones

Reaction score
There should be a "Golden Rule of Posting." Post unto others as you would have them post unto you (or something along those lines). If you don't think to yourself "Eff yeah!" when you see it on the rack, then you should think twice about posting it. .02.

Last edited:

ledude

Reaction score
Has anybody had any luck in british stores? Any good results? Especially round London. I just seem to find crappy stuff in our charity (thrift) shops but haven't taken scouring them too seriously just yet.

Love any advice/suggestions
Bump. Me too. Gonna be headed over there in a couple days, have a shopping list.

lastdonb

Reaction score
Got a pic of the loafer soles?

Not now. The heels had been redone but there wasn't any markings on the soles that I could see. They were leather soles.

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anybody had any luck in british stores? Any good results? Especially round London. I just seem to find crappy stuff in our charity (thrift) shops but haven't taken scouring them too seriously just yet.

Love any advice/suggestions

http://gentlemansgent.blogspot.com/
Bump. Me too. Gonna be headed over there in a couple days, have a shopping list.

http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/26565#post_5222440

Last edited:

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Given my new wardrobe needs, I was pretty stoked to find a pair of 31W X 32L Brooks Brothers flat front chinos in like new condition (no visible wear/dirt/urine) in, I think, the Clark fit. Very slim fitting.

You don't really need a picture of khaki chinos, do you?

Last edited:

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Quote:
Maybe the thread is quieter because some people have stopped posting three-foot-long posts consisting solely of pictures of the awesome Hickey Freeman suits from 1989 and Cole Haan shoes and Calvin Klein boxer shorts they thrifted today.

I think you are on to something!

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I was in the UK last year (Belfast and London), and in the six or eight charity shops I visited, I did not see anything even close to worth taking home. It seemed like a whole different ballgame over there.

Patrologia

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

37 or 43 pleats?

c'mon Andro, pay attention - he said they were in the 7-10 pleat range right there in the post.

Was doing some research, they might be Alden Leisure Handsewns, they sure look like the picture:

http://www.shermanbrothers.com/product.php?ItemId=1113&ProductId=201

Not that I'm the Alden expert, but as far as I know Alden alway designates width with a letter (actually 2, heel and ball). The ones you linked to did the same. The ones in the OP were "M." On that, they look tired to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads