The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

I have "done" fairly "well" with them.

2. AHS

AHS Senior member

Just found these...

[​IMG]

Anyone interested in a pair of dark brown suede Church's in 9 D? (Not sure if this a UK or US size.) Length is 11-7/8" and width about 4-1/4". They're pretty beat up: the heels need to be replaced soon and the brown suede has stains or marks.

Flipping value is pretty minimal, but I have a thing for brown suede and would totally knock around in these if they fit me. Some kind of trade (11b shoes or a tie?) would work.

Thanks, AHS

3. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

4. wcl

wcl Senior member

Probably a US size. If it was UK the width would be E, F, or G. I think........

5. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Actually, I was afraid I was going to disappoint you guys today. Really a sub-par performance.

6. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

That would be my best day of the month.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ This is true. My wife and I were in Shannon (the stab-capital of Ireland) for a weekend last spring and the offerings were were more or less nonexistent.

^^^ If I ever decide to start a second career as a James Bond villain, I'm going to make all my henchmen in my secret base under the polar icecap wear this for a uniform.

Quote:
    ^^^ From what I've seen, it's a little bit of both. English (or at least UK) goods are more plentiful for obvious reasons. You can turn up T&A and H&K shirts more easily than over here, but the prices are a bit higher.

^^^ I wasn't coming down on anybody in particular in that earlier blurb. I do agree that the thrifting in general is overall about fit, style, and quality. However, and I speak only for myself on this one, I enjoy reading about other posters' hard-to-find finds (ie. the GG shoes from a while ago, the 10 pairs of Luciano Barbera / Incotex pants, the RLPL overcoat, etc.). I personally like and come up with a lot of vintage 1960's Trad / Ivy things that I usually mention as an aside at the end of a "bragging" post after throwing down my "Eff yeah!" finds that I think would be more generally entertaining to the thread at large. If anyone is interested in the vintage stuff, then they usually end up PM'ing me and that's when the horse-trading starts.

[​IMG]

Thanks. -M-

8. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Does anyone know anything about a brand simply called Sartoria? Maybe someone can identify the maker based on the label? I can't find anything on Google, but as far as quality goes these are definitely on par with Brioni, Isaia, Purple Label, etc. They have outstanding fabric and there is some hand stitching. Size is 38 with double pleats if anyone is interested.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Also picked up my second ever Hermes and my first 6-fold. The brand is not bragworthy, but its still a $90 handsewn tie. Plus I've been looking for a solid navy tie for a longgggg time. Both of these ties are NOT AVAILABLE.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

9. s_allen_p

s_allen_p Senior member

Finally found some items that can stand up with the clothes other people are always posting on here:

Ermenegildo Zegna - Mitch Cashmere Coat - Brand-spanking new. $10. The woman at the register said I was lucky they missed paper-tagging it higher. Found it selling on the Neiman Marcus site for $2300. So, I was...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Battistoni jacket - Excellent condition. The tag says 2004. One of the pockets was never opened, the others were only part opened. There's a very small section in one of the sleeve seams that's coming undone. Not sure how much of a deal it is for a tailor to get in there and fix it.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Brooks Brothers jacket - Made in Italy - Light Green (hard to tell in pics). Trying to find the maker via the FTC RN# database. Is the RN# any of those on the tag (see pic)? Those are the only numbers I can find. Nothing prefaced with "RN".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

RLPL Keaton collar shirt - Also brand new.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brioni, H. Huntsman & Sons, and Ermenegildo Zegna ties
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

and another colorful shirt
    [​IMG]

Had to pass on a Loro Piana shirt...in my size. I was going to buy it, but decided to try it on first, and strangely, one shoulder fit right, while they other hung over the shoulder onto my arm. Then I noticed the collar had these small shred marks around it like someone marked it as defective. Very sad; it would have made the day that much better.

10. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

How well would that work over a dinner suit, d'ya think? I've read that one shouldn't wear rainwear over black tie but that hardly qualifies as a London Fog tan slicker now, does it?

I'm semi interested in it but don't hold on to it if someone else likes it faster.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2012
  11. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

What kind of tie do you have in mind?

12. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

13. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Real nice finds....

14. datsunfan

datsunfan Senior member

I found my first thrift store Brioni. It's a lightweight blazer in size 40R. There were a few Zegna jackets from the same owner, but they looked really dated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. ImaculateArt

ImaculateArt Member

Incredible stuff. I love that coat and tie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.