1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. concealed

concealed Senior member

I have found several Zegna polos and a few Vineyard Vines, the ones that are my size have been kept by me

2. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Wait, next to Burberry scarves or whatever $150 nick-knack Louis Vuitton peddles, aren't polos like the #1 entry-way item those ridonkulous brands use to cash-in on the peeps who can't really afford it? Ballers don't wear them, non-ballers will only donate them after death. Figured this is why you see less B-berry scarves, less polos of any kind.

But this is only a guess.

P.S. Dig is a reality TV star now? :paranoia:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

You know, it's weird and I hadn't really thought about it, but I think you're right about that. I've never found anything nicer than a few Vineyard Vines Polos, a few golden fleece, and some real Lacoste.

Though I do know someone who managed to find two (!!!) Loro Piana polos and a Pal Zileri polo. I think those are the nicest I've heard of.

EDIT: Also, thanks dudes for all the kind words!! I'll take pics of the grenadine next time...suit is off for the day and definitely not going back on, haha.

4. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

^^^ The only two "nice" things I've ever found in the polo / t-shirt section were a red Brunello Cucinelli polo with a spread collar and 3 smoked MOP buttons and a BNWOT BBBF red, white, & blue t-shirt. Both were shaped all gross and boxy. The BC went quickly on eBay and I finally had to trade the BBBF to Buffalo Exchange just to get it out of my sight.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Made a quick stop tonight. I thought I had a 36S for the smaller guys here, but I guess it's more of a 38S. Southwick, nicely made and available:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did some quick measurements:

18" shoulder to shoulder
    21" pit to pit
    21.5-22" sleeve from the top of the shoulder

33" waist
    28" inseam

Found some awesome Piatelli for Barneys shirts for me

[​IMG]
    Lavender Oxford semi-spread

[​IMG]
    Don't know what this fabric is but it's super soft and breathable

Also found this tie. I got it because I figured Concealed and Pnutpug would be interested in Andover Shop stuff, but now I'm wondering if it's made by Drakes? It doesn't feel like it's ever been tied and it's really heavy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

I don't see a lot of nice ones either. I like Polo RL polos okay, and have a bunch of Brooks brothers that I wear. I did get a RLPL polo from Beck that's pretty damn awesome though, and I'd get more if I could.

7. div25sec9

div25sec9 Senior member

I've found RLPL and Canali, but they are very rare. I don't bother looking in the polo racks any more.

I think that those who are buying high end clothing would just buy the odd one to wear golfing or on the weekend; not everyday like dress shirts. They would also be worn harder to they're more likely to go to the bin rather than the donation pile. The high end stores here push Boss, Burberry, and Lacoste for the casual clothes as well.

8. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

9. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

I hate those weeks. I almost bought a Crappy Flawed Brooks Brothers Jacket today for $8.

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

Oh, hey... I also saw this in the store. It was $45 or so so I didn't pick it up, but if someone's interested I could proxy

[​IMG]

11. barrelntrigger

barrelntrigger Senior member

Hey guys, before I post my find today, I just want to make sure is Bill Blass and Alexander Shields (Park Ave NY) brag worthy? I don't want the SF gods striking me down...AGAIN!!! LOL

12. concealed

concealed Senior member

That's a beauty, I don't think Drake's does their ties, but I guess it's possible!

13. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

On the topic of polos, I snagged a Nom de Guerre polo from The WGP.:slayer:

14. eazye

eazye Senior member

Someone awhile ago posted a Brioni polo.

15. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

One of my good hauls included 3 Loro Piana polos and a recent Isaia (red label) polo shirt with the coral logo embroidered on the chest. Really cool. I find RLPL from time to time.

16. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

If you find LP, RLPL, or Isaia again, size XL - XXL gimme a holler ;)

Yup, PRL polos and BB's are my solid staples, and if I find Lacoste (not too often), I bag them for myself.

I would love to wear a higher end polo or short sleeve shirt, i.e. the likes of Avon Celli, Loro Piana etc, but as far as retail or eBay goes, I cannot bring myself to sink over $100 for something that amounts to a tee shirt with a collar.

17. Samuel Smith

Samuel Smith Senior member

Question regarding Gieves and Hawkes. Picked a sick DB, Peak Lapel suit up today because it was the first time I have ran across G&H. I thought it to be legit because of its make and the fact that it had a Bloomingdale's tag on the inside. But when I got into my car I thought "shit, Bloomingdales is def a department store that would create this stuff under a license" what are they tell tale signs, if any? oh well its available - 40S

18. 330CK

330CK Senior member

If it's Drake's, it very likely has an "MD" (Michael Drake) somewhere on the content tag.

Likely Hickey Freeman for GH. Checking where it's made is a good start.

19. grendel

grendel Senior member

No.

Probably available... Like to figure out who made it first. Any other thoughts?

Not sure what you're asking... I doubt seriously that anyone would fake G&H. G&H has had several other makers make their RTW for them. HF makes lots for them here in Rochester, but I also have a DB navy blazer made by Belvest in Italy that's the tits.

20. DeadBoy

DeadBoy Senior member

Well, this is the bragging thread, so if you find something you really like, go ahead and brag about it. But if it's "Christian Dior," "Yves Saint Laurent pour homme" or anything else in that vain, I wouldn't go around touting the brand.

And, while taste is totally subjective and all, I think that tie is uuuuuuuuuugly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.