• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
It is funny though to see some of the items Goodwill puts in the "special pricing" rack. Like a pair of Nunn-Bush shoes marked up to $25. lol, ok Goodwill

MattR

Reaction score

Brooks Brothers silk/wool/linen blend POW check SC.  This one looks awesome and fits me, but is a bit curious.  I've never seen Italian-made Brooks Bros, and I don't think I've ever seen a BB content label like this one.  The breast patch is the normal BB 1818 one though.

That is awesome. There's plenty of Italian BB stuff out there. Just wore my silk/wool/linen SC tonight, Made in Italy. Admittedly, the content tag looks different than what I've seen before, but the patch, materials tag, and the "Made In" tag all look right.

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Picked up this really nice solid blue Hart Schaffner Marx Gold Trumpeter blazer. I am pretty sure it is the current model sold in the retail stores, please correct me if I'm wrong. Really great except its missing all the cuff buttons and a hole by the cuff (approx 2" up)
facepalm.gif
If this works for anyone shoot me a PM before it gets listed.

Looks to be about a 48L (no tag)?
Chest: 25"
Shoulder: 20"
Sleeve: 27"
Length (boc): 32.5"

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Spoo, what do you think?  I saw this today but couldn't pull the trigger.  Are there people out there looking for something like this?

Its a vintage women's leather jacket.  All white, probably 5 buttons on the front, and probably would go down to the knees.  By no means is it in awful condition, but its a little dirty, has creasing, and has some roughed up spots on the leather.  Price was $25.  

:slayer: Go back and get that puppy now. NAO! I probably would have bought to sell (condition dependent) if it was $125, put it like that.

Shiny

Reaction score
Ok, found this Dior suit that, I think, is not that watered down line, but I can be corrected. Canvassed, peak lapels, euro cut and my size (!), maybe just take in the pants a little.

P1010080.jpg

P1010081.jpg

HOwever, the previous owner ended up shortening the sleeves like this:

P1010082.jpg

Wha! they should have done this at the shoulder.

Anyway, I think all that needs to be done is move the button up, right? Can this be done and how much would that be? And, there would be the remnant of the faux button hole.

Or, do it at the shoulder and unfold the sleeve and iron the crease out. That would probably double the price because the tailor has to work on the shoulder arms and also the sleeve end. What do you all think?

BTW the current sleeve length is perfect for my arms.

Brianpore

Reaction score
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif
Go back and get that puppy now. NAO! I probably would have bought to sell (condition dependent) if it was $125, put it like that.

I can only hope to one day get a Spoo reaction like that.

Ok, found this Dior suit that, I think, is not that watered down line, but I can be corrected. Canvassed, peak lapels, euro cut and my size (!), maybe just take in the pants a little.
P1010080.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010082.jpg

Anyway, I think all that needs to be done is move the button up, right? Can this be done and how much would that be? And, there would be the remnant of the faux button hole.
Or, do it at the shoulder and unfold the sleeve and iron the crease out. That would probably double the price because the tailor has to work on the shoulder arms and also the sleeve end. What do you all think?

Double the price... well worth it if it fits. That is the good stuff, nice find!

Brianpore

Reaction score
Nothing crazy, but a few quality shirts and a fully lined Harris Tweed (seems to be rare). None fit as usual so all are posted in my Megathreads!
cheers.gif

Brooks Brothers Luxury "Purple Label" White Blue/Tan Plaid - 16.5-34

Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 24"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 19.5"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 23.75"
Brooks Brothers Luxury Purple Label
Cloth woven in Italy
Made in USA
No Chest Pocket
Extra Thick Buttons
Single Needle Stitching
Split Back Yoke
Double Button Cuff

Canali Light Blue Check w/ Red Overcheck - 15.5-34

Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 22.5"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 19.75"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 24.5"
Beautiful pattern shirt
Nice spread collar
45 deg cut cuffs
Made in Italy

Salvatore Ferragamo Solid Blue - 18-35/36

Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 25"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 21.25"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 25"
Very nice material
Nice buttons
Spread collar
Pleated back shoulders

Faconnable White w/ Blue Red Light Blue Check - Size 5 / 16.5-35

Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 25.25"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 20.25"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 25"
Nice Material & Buttons
Split Back Yoke
Button Down Collar
Center Back Pleat
Two extra buttons (one each size)

Harris Tweed Fully Lined Brown - 41R/42R

Chest (armpit to armpit on back): 21.75"
Shoulder (seam to seam on back): 18.75"
Arm (shoulder seam to end of arm): 25.75"
Overall Length (bottom of collar to bottom): 32.25
One cuff buttons need replacement
Overall good condition for a Harris Tweed
Fully Lined! (Rare for a Harris Tweed)
Nice coloring

Last edited:

shadesofbeige

Reaction score
Oh my God. That's Dior Homme, their best line, probably designed by Hedi Slimane. I'm astonished you found that at a thrift. Definitely worth trying to fix that whacky sleeve. Congratulations
worship.gif

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Holy crap!

How in the world does that happen? I demand request a fit pic!

(Plus, for future reference, I also have short arms :D )

datsunfan

Reaction score

Ok, found this Dior suit that, I think, is not that watered down line, but I can be corrected.
Canvassed, peak lapels, euro cut and my size (!), maybe just take in the pants a little.
P1010080.jpg

P1010081.jpg

P1010082.jpg

Nice find. It is more difficult (thus more expensive) for the tailor to alter the sleeve at the shoulder. There probably will be at least some remnant of the faux button hole, but it depends on the fabric.

My best find today, a charcoal Richards James Savile Row RTW. It's got hacking pockets with a ticket pocket and side adjusters on the pants. It's tagged a 40R and available. Also, found a light blue Haspel pincord suit in 48R/43W that's also available.

IMG_6843-1.jpg

Close up of the stripes. I have no idea what to call this pattern.
IMG_6844-1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads