The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

CdG is a Japanese Streetwear-ish label. Pretty fashion-forward but is also known for their modern, minimalistic designs. Similar designers/labels are Issey Miyake and Yoji Yamamoto. Can be quite pricey at retail. Any CdG stuff is a nice find!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

2. grendel

grendel Senior member

3. grendel

grendel Senior member

Oh, cool... I thought it was French :) I did see it was made in Japan though... I actually thought this was a kid's blazer at first, but a small Japanese size would be equivalent to a chunky American kid's size I guess [​IMG]

It measures out to around a 36R or 36S

4. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

No idea. One poster mentioned Isaia, Canali, and Corneliani (I think) as potential makers for their Italian stuff, though nothing seems definitive.

5. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

Yes, Colorado Springs. When I got it I thought I would wear it - it fits me, when I'm 10 lbs less than now - but I'm a little too old to pull it off. Did you try to sell it on B&S? If so then I won't bother, maybe give it to my brother who sometimes sells things on Ebay.

6. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

As always, a picture is worth a couple hunnert words. A half inch in the real world would be unnoticeable, I suspect, to anyone with who you come into contact. The sheer awesomeness of the colors and pattern will likely distract anyone from peeping your bum unless you're standing in line at the post office. Those waits are so interminable, it's inevitable that the person behind you in the line will run out of things to look at and will eventually glance at your pants.

As long as they don't frequent styleforum however, you're probably safe from being called on the carpet before the Postmaster.

As for being camera shy, if you never look worse than this...

[​IMG]

...you'll never scrape the bottom that I occupied with that pic!

Yes, those are blue suede skater dude sneakers that I thought would freshen up the fit. What an idiot!

7. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

HOLY SHITE I have that exact suit, its one of my favorites, it from the victim of the crime season 04, great find!

8. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

I wouldn't mess with the shoulder unless you had working buttonholes that couldn't be moved. With this one, I would have the tailor put the bottom button at the top and gently remove the stitching where the bottom button was. No need to create a faux buttonhole for the new button location, no one will notice. I had this done recently and it looks fine. However, my tailor did the same thing that appears to be going on with this sleeve where the cuff is actually tucked into the other side rather than flapping underneath (which I wasn't too pleased about, but not enough to go back and complain about). Am I right?

9. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Quick stop to goodwill. Small but decent haul:

Sport Coats (All 38-42R I believe):
    Prada Milano
    Chester Barrie
    Oxxford
    Brioni

Pants:
    Incotex Khakis (40 I think)
    Possibly NWOT PRL Made in Italy (I think corneliani) khakis.

I really need to work on at least listing my inventory, but I'm too addicted to thrifting. It's my stress release. I tell myself I'll go, but I'll only buy things that are above a certain level... and then I find stuff like this. It's really bad... I'm a college student, and I'm hitting my credit limit on my card often now, whereas I had never gotten close to it before! At least I'm selling...

Also, I should mention some shoes that I thrifted a while back that I actually KEPT FOR MYSELF (What a concept!). I found some burgundy(I think it's shell)/black AE Polos that fit me perfectly for $8. I've worn them a few times now, and really love them. I've also started clothing all of my friends here at school whenever they have interviews, or more formal events using my massive inventory. Sure I get made fun of quite a bit, but I'm having a blast!

10. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Nice haul. I think I need to get out of damn NJ. You seem to find nicer stuff every week then I find in months, and I go thrift every few days, It is very addicting. Get that stuff up on ebay and the B&S. One Oxxford or Brioni should pay for a number of other trips to the store.

11. grendel

grendel Senior member

Yeah, you need to take some pics and measurements to go with the bragging... I'd love to see the stuff you have around a 40-41R and if you have any more shell around a size 10-10.5 [​IMG]

12. darkmatter7

darkmatter7 Affiliate Vendor

Quote: Brianpore I really have a lot of bad dry spells! I think the big reason why I frequently get big hauls is because i've added in a weekly rotation in some wealthy areas. The downside of this is that I end up paying a lot (I have had several $300+ thrifting days). I am extremely pissed at ebay right now.... I'm a new seller, so I almost immediately hit my 25 item category selling limit. Called them, and someone gave me a "6 day extension so that I could sell as many items as I wanted." I think... AWESOME! So I start taking pictures and measurements of a ton of my stuff, then start listing, only to find out it was a 24 hour extension.... =( I'm slowly posting stuff on B&S, and I much prefer it to ebay, especially since 95% of the people on here are awesome and courteous, but posting 200+ items well, on a college schedule, is daunting.

Quote: Grendel I know I do, and I want to, however, my girlfriend already puts up with enough of my thrifting... she even comes with me to the stores sometimes, and I need to focus on her right now. I don't think I have any shell in 10-10.5... wait... no I have some alden loafers that might be shell in 10.5 I think... but I do have a bunch of really nice stuff in 40-41R. I'll get pics/info up soon.

13. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

We should declare a pics-only day just to see how majestic it'd be...

14. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thrifting like that is going to pay for college [​IMG] and where are the damn 7-7.5 Alden shells or 36S Kitons and Oxxfords...got to look harder!

15. 330CK

330CK Affiliate Vendor

Darkmatter - what state do you live in? I'll drop by those stores and lighten the load on your wallet. :)

So after a long drought in thrifting, I finally had a decent haul. All of this stuff is available. Shoot me offers via PM. I have an idea of what I want for each item, and will be posting it all in the B&S forum in the next day or so.

Turnbull & Asser shirt

Marked size 16.5 42cm

Beautiful shirt made by T&A. Real MOP buttons. Barrel cuffs with 3 buttons.

Measurements

Chest: 25.5”
    Sleeves: 25.5”
    Shoulders: 20.5”
    Length (BOC): 33.5”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HF are all fully canvassed

Hickey Freeman Prince of Wales

Chest: 23.5”
    Sleeve: 27.5”
    Shoulders: 20”
    Length: 34”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HF plaid

Elegant 3-roll-2

Chest: 23”
    Sleeve: 28”
    Shoulders: 19”
    Length: 33.5”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HF Houndstooth b&w

Elegant 3-roll-2

Shoulders: 19.5”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

HF Houndstooth grey & white

Shoulders: 19.5”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Rugby

Chest: 48”
    Sleeves: 26”
    Shoulders: 20”
    Length: 31”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece

Chest: 24”
    Sleeve: 25”
    Shoulders: 20.5”
    Length: 30.5”

Waist: 38”
    Inseam: 31” (4” to let out if cuff taken out)
    Total length: 42”
    Width at cuff: 9.75”
    Rise: 13.5”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Alan Flusser Prince of Wales

This suit is AWESOME but will be a project. Previous owner must have had a posture problem. Sleeve on one side is rather short. Hopefully someone here has short arms. Or maybe you can take some of the extra material left in the pants and have the sleeve rewoven?

Chest: 20.5”
    Sleeve: 20” (1.5” to let out) other sleeve: 25.5”
    Shoulders: 18”
    Length: 30”

Waist: 36”
    Inseam:29.5”
    Total Length: 41”
    Width at cuff: 9.5”
    Rise: 12”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I posted this Mont Blanc already, but I’ve decided to sell it.
    [​IMG]

Sperrys BNWT size 9
    [​IMG]

I’ll offer a choice of free tie for any purchase

Paul Stuart: 3.25”
    J. Press: 3.25”
    BB made in Ireland; 3.5”
    Hardy Amies: 3.25”
    BB red: 3.75”

[​IMG]

Thread Status: