Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. silverwarebandit

silverwarebandit Senior member

[​IMG] Meant to post this awhile back By column lorenzini, EZ, EZ GANT hopsack Pink 15x34, HF sport italian made safari shirt, vestimenti slack, BB merino cableknit HF SC, florsheim wingtips, RRL NWT (lady jeans unfortunately, sz 24), another EZ and an ascot chang

2. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

This... Looks.... Familiar.... I do believe I once had it, couldn't sell it worth a damn, donated it back.... And now you have it! :laugh: Good luck! ... Are you in Colorado, by chance? So I made a day of thrifting in the cold ass snowy weather today. Yay! And this is what I came away with after hitting 2 stores.... First Up.... -St. Andrews Super 120's Pants. Single Pleat. Sz 38 R (I think St. Andrews is very underrated) [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] -Canali Super 120's (awesome) Yellow Sportcoat. Sz 44 R [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] -Alfred Dunhill (As Spoo would say "Totally Pimp") Suit. Pants are Flat Front. Working Cuffs. Dark Gray with Green Pinstripes! Sz 46 R [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] -Isaia Tie; Not a 7 Fold. (First Ever Isaia Tie Found!) [​IMG] [​IMG] ALL ARE AVAILABLE! I WANTED THAT DUNHILL SUIT BUT ALAS, SLEEVES ARE TOO SHORT! :fu:

3. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

why the hell does it take so long to get a post approved? this is retarded

4. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Be patient, this is just a phase everyone must go through. It will all be over soon.

5. grendel

grendel Senior member

Finally got to go hit some thrifts again today. First some things I left behind, let me know if anyone is interested and I can go back for them...

Woolrich blackwatch peacoat / field coat, size 44. I would have picked this up in my size, but not to flip at $22... actually I kinda wish I had and might go back tomorrow

[​IMG]

Woolrich blanket lined coat... has some damage on the cuff

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Donna Karan made in Italy suit... Anyone know this maker's tag?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also some kinda ugly / cool Pendleton shirt jackets probably around a 38... My phone always washes out the reds for some reason

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A kinda cool Harris Tweed hunting coat around a 38.. had a bit of damage to the lining by the pocket... Might go back for it anyway

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stuff I did get.. A couple Hickey Freeman shirts (available)

[​IMG]
    16.5 - 35 nice white shirt

[​IMG]
    17-35 staple blue

A Comme des Garcons navy blazer (available)... pretty small... I'm guessing a 36? I don't know much about this brand, can someone fill me in?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also, am I the only one who finds Grant Thomas stuff that's pretty well made sometimes? I picked up this very nice purple linen shortsleeve shirt for myself with nice MOP buttons

[​IMG]

Found a couple Hickey Freeman suits (available)... first a Walter Morton (another brand from HF with the same make / quality) 3 piece suit, marked a 42 but feels like around a 39-40 and pretty nice

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also found another one of those 46's with the super 120's, this one a 46XLG

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tried getting my gf a pair of shoes... not her style apparently but at least they were well made

[​IMG]

Picked up a pair of HS Trask Bison leather loafers size 10M... fit me okay, but available

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Picked up a couple ties... the most colorful HF ever and a soporific XL Brooks Brothers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A Highlands made in Scotland wool scarf in a colorful tartan (available)

[​IMG]

A very nice 70% merino wool, 30% cashmere Brooks Brothers light blue sweater, size XL... Gotta figure out how to get the two small spots out (any hints on that?) then it's available

[​IMG]

6. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

I've come across a few BB made in Italy suits before. I did some research online and read that Isaia did some work for their Golden Fleece line (but not quite up to Isaia's standards for their own lines) and Canali and Caruso may have done some of their lower, but still nicer quality lines as well. I think that it had something to do with the the owners of the parent company that bought BB from Marks & Spencer being Italian. Either way, I have two BB suits up on eBay right now that are made in Italy and the blue one with the faint overcheck has a lot of high end details that I haven't normally seen on BB suits in general - pick stitching, better fabric, etc. BB also had some of their shoes made Italy which always ran small for their marked sizing and turned out to be real let downs when I bought them off of eBay for myself. -M-

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

7. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Watch out for the small hole on that blue Brooks Bros. with the 2 spots. I almost purchased it to clean and there is a small separation at one of the cables....can be fixed, I am sure. I like the tide stain pen for the stains...might start carrying one with me.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012

8. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Had a pretty spectacular day...started off slow with just a Sea Island Cotton Tyrwhitt shirt in a very small size (14 1/2/33) which is going to pay for gas, but then it turned out rosay.

3 Hermes ties (7 folds, narrow, astounding)
    1 unbranded 100% wool, made in Italy square, knit tie. 38 cents!
    1 Ferragamo
    This Cockpit A-2 Repro leather jacket in MINT condition : http://www.cockpitusa.com/store/WWII-Government-Issue-A-2-Jacket.html
    A really nice Navy-issue pea coat in a small size, which I think I might be able to take the sleeves out on and make it fit.
    BNWT Turnbull and Asser shirt in my size, but that will pay for the entire haul on its own
    Thomas Pink shirt in my size, will need to have slimmed down.
    BNWT Chester Barrie shirt (didn't even know they made shirts), my size.

I will post pics of all of this stuff some time tomorrow, and everything but the Cockpit will be available. I am fairly certain the Hermes ties are real, but I will ask the minds of SF for verification. The only thing they are missing is the small materials/origin tag on the underside of the thin part of the tie. The keeper looks real, the lining is correct, they are 7 fold, they have the pull string to add tension to the threading, the sublimated item number box is there, etc.

9. shadesofbeige

shadesofbeige Senior member

Had a decent day today:

These Gucci shoes are virtually brand new. Am i correct in thinking these are boy's or could they be women's? They have that chunky black rubber bottom. Hoping these will make a pretty penny on eBay
    [​IMG]

A groovy Céline tie. Never seen one of these or read anything about them. The black tag reads hand made 100% silk. Anyone want to educate me?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last I picked up this badass polyester Surface to Air jacket at a liquidation store. I can barely get it zipped though, good thing it was cheap. Sorry for the crappy picture, I'm too lazy to take another.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012

10. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I saw an orphaned DK Italy jacket today, but I didn't bother searching for the pants. Maybe I should go back?

11. tben

tben Senior member

Trussini is its own maker. A lot of their stuff can be had at Boyds. The suits, IMO, are gorgeous. I have been told by some other members here that they are on par with Canali.

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

It def seems very well made, and all the extra little details, make it something to see. Plus it fits me very well.

13. grendel

grendel Senior member

[​IMG]

Good eye... Oh well... it was $3-4 with the discounts. Cost of doing business. Not worth the effort.

14. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Lol...this, uh...looks EXACTLY like the Brooks Bros Italy SC I posted just a few hours ago, asking pretty much the same question as you about who the maker is. How weird: http://www.styleforum.net/t/9006/th...ount-store-bragging-thread/25635#post_5196450

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

15. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

OMG, that is a jackpot find. Peak lapels as well. If that thing is size 56, double vented, shoot me a PM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.