The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Such a depressing thrifting day. Came across four orphaned pin stripe jackets, Isaia (three of them), and a single Borrelli. All sized 60. No blasted pants. OK, so pants are going to be a 40 - 44 size. I look over at the pants section, a guy is there aggressively going through pants. I am immediately feeling anxious, surely he is going to f$$k off soon I thought? I wait 5 minutes, he is checking every pair of pants as if he were gynecologist inspecting a hot lady's genetalia. I cant put up with this I thought, I am going to pick this rack right now. He was going left to right, I thought I would go right to left. I go through every pair of pants that are pinstriped as quickly as possible. Nothing there. I cast my eyes at his cart, yes, he has about 8 or 9 pairs of pinstriped pants. The horror! What if he has them? I swallow my awkwardness and ask him as politely as possible if any of his pants matched the jackets and maybe we could work something out. He looked at me as if I had just propositioned his wife to play a game of doctors and nurses with me, and bluntly said "No I will not consider letting go of any of these pants". Oh well, nevermind, an orphaned jacket is still worth a bit of money, I could easily see the Borrelli flipping for $50+. I go to the checkout, and the lady started scanning them. Total price was nearly $160, I did not check the price tags and assumed they were $10 per jacket, they were all more like $40 a jacket :facepalm:. I walked out a bitter and twisted man and the jackets were left behind.

I was astonished at that shirt haul in my size. That is the best haul I think I have ever seen, far far better than my recent haul. I very very nearly hit the PM button, and then thought it would not be so bad to sit this one out, let some other big guys like TheWGP and Achilles get the action.

Stone Island shirt = casual, wear with jeans etc, only showed it since I thrifted it the other day... Shirt with a flimsy collar like that was never meant to be worn with a sport coat.

Very decent suit, well done. I think Zegna Couture in terms of build quality deserve a favourable mention up there with Brioni, Oxxford etc....

Bolded part is excellent advice. I will be visiting my tailor along with 2/3 other items that came from the same donor. They all fit trim / snug but all were likely tailored down by the original owner. There may be fabric to let out, crossing fingers.

As for coverage, is a half inch above the bottom of the butt too short? The jacket "almost" covers my a$$. Issue / No Issue? I think I will post further pics of that jacket and my other recently thrifted stuff. I like your original idea of outfit pics and like that you are completely cool with regards to "hey this is me, check out this outfit" :fonz:. Most of us would be camera shy in regards to pics, including myself.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

2. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

All a large , to fit me, sorry not available.

3. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

My first brag! A pair of "indy brown" Alden boots. My size (10.5/11). Looks like a dead-ringer for these. I need to work on my polishing skills; they obviously look worn, but not in bad shape. Toes have a bit of 'character' to them. Anybody know how old this model is?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Really great find. Well done.

5. chest rockwell

chest rockwell Member

Had a nice find today, but my post is waiting for approval or something? hope it shows up soon

6. Ace_Face

Ace_Face Senior member

17 beautiful Italian shirts in my size?

[​IMG]

7. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Thanks!!

8. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

NOOBIZOR: FILTHY LUCRE TOUR kicks off this week with a bang, as several items go cynically up with one purpose in mind: to replenish my ailing wallet.

:violin:

I got a varsity - WHOA!
    ...an MA-1 - WOO!
    ...and a very Justin Bieber-esque ToJ1 2011 MTM on the way - SHEEEEEEEEIT.jpg

WAT DO!

Today's finds:

[​IMG]

RLPL size 16/L LOOKS LIKE NEW OMG
    the buttons!, the fabric!, the fabric!, the buttons!
    - double monster cuff action -
    AVAILABLE!

[​IMG]

Armani mainline 16L
    super nice fabric. Huge-ass buttons w/ sweet light blue stitching. Regular cuffs. Made in Italy, oh my!

[​IMG]

Armani mainline 16/42R
    Aslo nice fabric!. Double cuffs. Big-ass buttons galore. Also made in Italy, oh my!

[​IMG]

Charvet, 3.6
    Place Vendome, mother[ redacted ]'ers!
    AVAILABLE!

WHY ARE THESE PICS SO BIG?

I DON'T KNOW!

:foo:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

9. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

Fine idea for others. Bad idea for you. :devil:

10. Typhoid Jones

Typhoid Jones Senior member

Mr. Clean Magic erasers and a couple drops of water work well, too.

11. Henry Boogers

Henry Boogers Senior member

In order of preference:

- sandpaper
    - buffing wheel attached to cordless drill
    - add a '1' to the front of the price :embar:
    - scribble it out
    - stick some dog sh*t on it to hide it. PM me for details on the dog sh*t; I have 2 pugs and an English Mastiff

12. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Me too! Me too! I WANT those windowpane shirts. And I'm in need of a new pink shirt. DIBS. PM sent.

13. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Today was one of those best kinds of days and one of the true rarities for me: I found a lot of stuff that fits me!!

First, for me:

[​IMG]

Recent (I think...this is one of the more recent incarnations of the silver label, right?) HF navy staple suit...size 42L!! [​IMG] I've been looking for a navy staple for forever...FINALLY!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Another awesome HF grey birdseye staple suit with LP Tasmanian Super 120s, side vented...also size 42L [​IMG][​IMG]. A grey staple is *another* thing I've been looking for for forever.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not my size, but equally awesome HF charcoal staple, Loro Piana Tasmanian Super 130s. This one might actually be the most recent silver label, yes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Quite gorgeous Donegal Mist tweed SC, 5% cashmere/35% mohair/60% wool blend. 2 sleeve buttons are a bit beat up, but otherwise it looks great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Brooks Brothers silk/wool/linen blend POW check SC. This one looks awesome and fits me, but is a bit curious. I've never seen Italian-made Brooks Bros, and I don't think I've ever seen a BB content label like this one. The breast patch is the normal BB 1818 one though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These two I got because I just got a kick out of how out of the norm they are for these makers, IMO:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Zegna and HF respectively. And no, the flash didn't make the Zegna all crazy-like..it actually looks like that, haha. And you can't tell, but the HF is weird because it's very thin, almost to the point of being sheer. Very weird, haha.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AE Manchesters in need of a polish and a little bit of love, but otherwise quite nice

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Burgundy AE Park Aves that need some work but are definitely doable. It's all surface scuffs, thankfully, which I should be able to work out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Not pictured: A pretty nice DB Burberrys suit, a surprisingly mild Robert Graham shirt, Harris Tweed SC, Zanella pants in my size, and 3 BB ties.

14. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

^^^ Nice finds Andro.

15. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

I don't sit out anything nicer then Brooks Brothers that are in my tiny tiny size.[​IMG] Must be nice, you NWT haul wasnt too shabby though

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.