The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I've been trying to only pick up things that fit me, unless I find something killer, so today I passed on an Aquascutum suit made in Canada and an orphan made in USA. I also found another H-F boardroom, but it had some tiny moth holes.

I also found some strange things, like this label on an orphaned jacket, which I had never seen before:
    [​IMG]

I did pick up this BB worsted wool suit after successfully finding the pants among the ladies' clothing. That same goodwill, however, had BB made in England tux shoes that were cracked enough to be worthless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. goneAWOL

goneAWOL Senior member

Spoo, what do you think? I saw this today but couldn't pull the trigger. Are there people out there looking for something like this?

Its a vintage women's leather jacket. All white, probably 5 buttons on the front, and probably would go down to the knees. By no means is it in awful condition, but its a little dirty, has creasing, and has some roughed up spots on the leather. Price was $25.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

Also found these women's (9.5) Ralph Lauren "Bench Made In England" shoes, I'll post before and afters for you when I give them some TLC (they're rough, but I bought them to practice my novice shoe-reforming skills). Dainite soles.

WHo makes these? C&J? Do you have to see pictures?

4. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

Found a 12.5C Allen Edmonds Hardwick today. Not my size so will probably head to ebay. Anyone have suggestions for removing the price they wrote in marker from the leather sole?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Ubryaj

Ubryaj Member

This might sound dumb but I'm new to thrifting... I live in a smaller town about an hour north of Pittsburgh and there is a Salvation Army store and a Goodwill store. Would I have luck finding "good" clothes like the ones posted here, locally? I'm under the impression that I'll only find clothes from Walmart/Kmart at these stores and would have to go to Pittsburgh/the suburbs to find anything good. Maybe I just have a certain stigma about these stores.

6. vexco

vexco Senior member

I find good things around my small-ish town...so it's worth checking out. Check for smaller resale shops as well, that's where I found my best stuff. Can't hurt to check the bigger cities/stores, tho!

7. Larson McCord

Larson McCord Senior member

I use Clorox disinfecting wipes. Rubs off after 30 seconds or so of scrubbing and it's safe to use

8. kindofyoung

kindofyoung Senior member

Bought an awesome camel coat by Rileys the other day on 70% sale, so I payed 105 $ instead of the "normal" price 355 $, and so far, I'm extremely happy with it.
    As a bonus I haven't seen one single guy except me wearing one downtown, which is always nice :p

9. highvoltorb

highvoltorb Senior member

These are real right? Size 36

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Reads Superfine 150's Sharkskin Wool Made in Italy by Dolce & Gabbana

10. ilikethelights

ilikethelights Senior member

Made a stop before band practice this afternoon at a location I've had decent luck and found they started doing this:

[​IMG]

Orphaned Lanvin coat

11. GMMcL

GMMcL Senior member

Thought I had a decent haul until I saw Lookngr8's. Sending you a PM; may be interested in trading or buying for some of those 17-17.5's. (I prefer "Athletic" to "husky").

I went back to the shop where I found the damaged Borrellis. I found 3, one in good condition, the other two stained. All in the 16.5 size range. One ivory with tan stripes, one brown/blue check, one ivory twill. Point collar, notch collar, point collar, respectively. Biggest buttons I've ever seen. Which leads me to: Anyone done that Oxi method on shirts with real MOP buttons? Did they dissolve?

Also picked up two recent Zegnas, 17.5, also massive MOP buttons, one light blue with woven self-color glenplaid, the other a beige with brown microcheck.

Last I picked up a Hickey Freeman Made in Italy cream with brown tan windowpane, size XL. 100% cotton but feels like linen, plus a pair of Corneliani tan wool slacks in what seem to be a 33 x 27, pleated and cuffed, nice handwork. Oh, and a blue paisley Thomas Pink tie and a vintage Hardy Amies pink paisley tie.

Passes: A 40R Oxxford (gold label, somewhat older) gray herringbone suit in good condition EXCEPT for a fairly long moth trail. Not my size so not willing to take the risk on reweaving, but willing to proxy someone if they're interested. $60 or thereabouts. Also a pair of Royal Tweed (Church's lower line) black wings. Uppers in OK shape, but could do with reconditioning and stretching. 9D. $12. Again, proxy available.

Pics and measurements later!

12. Mercuryman76

Mercuryman76 Senior member

I'll give that a try. Thanks.

13. hyakku

hyakku Senior member

Ugh, had no intention of thrifting until after March when I returned from EU and just wanted to trade, but I can't let everyone swoop up all the finds. May hit a few stores tomorrow just to satisfy the craving for a few weeks -_-.

14. buddy72

buddy72 Well-Known Member

The local ARC stores are having their annual 99 cent sweater sale. I picked up the following: top row: - vintage cotton navy Izod, made in Israel - vintage cotton tennis sweater, never heard of the label (American Portrait) but made in USA and seems well made - GAP, charcoal cashmere, Hong Kong bottom row: - wool Bergen, from Norway - wool EMS (Eastern Mountain Sports), made in USA
    [​IMG]
    Also found this Giorgio Armani / Saks 3-button ventless sport coat, which will be going on B&S. Labeled 43R but pit-pit is 23, so that would be more like a 42. Also, the waist is tapered a little.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 11, 2012

15. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Sizes on the sweaters?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.