The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

I don't know the maker but that is one beautiful jacket with character. The collar and cuffs make it. Congratulations!

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

2. Everett464

Everett464 Senior member

They are "the Florsheim Shoe" line - not imperial.

Number is: 10 C 425405 18 30679 GI

I am more and more certain that the creasing is shell, but I didn't know that Florsheim made cordovan in "the Shoe" line, or in this color. I might have to email the company on this one before I can sell these with a good conscious as "Shell Cordovan."

3. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Found my first Aldens today. I wish they were an 11 D, but beggars can't be choosers. They're a 9 a/c if anyone is interested. They are available.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Ain't it cool, the first day that you realize you're wearing an outfit of completely thrifted clothing and you're wearing the best clothes you've ever worn in your life? It's taken me about a year but I have that same experience now, every day! :fistbump:
    Pretty much my M.O., exactly when thrifting belts.
    I may have to go back and offer them fitty bux! :cool: They were some big a$$ed lenses, though. :eek:
    Avoid the urge to "fill in" unless there's a real need. You WILL find everything you need in better stuff and then you'll look back on these early buys and kick yourself for spending money on stuff you'll end up donating. OTOH, if you got it, wear the hell out of it!
    Same here. I'm in awe of the big hauls posted here. The best day I ever had was 3 recent Brooks Brothers suits from the same store. That said, take your time and it will come. I now have 5 Brooks Brothers suits and 2 H. Freeman and Sons. Basically, a suit for every day of the week! Sure, it took me a year and some of that time was spent learning what fit and what didn't but I now have a wardrobe that is deep into the thousands of dollars at original retail but I still look for the Canli's Corneliani's, Brioni's and Kitons. Someday.
    Once again, as I said above, unless it's something very nice or unusual or an emergency, try to hold out! I'm an Allen Edmonds brand whore and have at least (I'm ashamed to say I've lost count) 10 pairs of them. I will pick up a pair of J&M or Clubroom if they are suede or something special but I'm glad I've left most of them behind. They're out there. Believe me. :nodding:
    Hey, man...I NEVER question another man's fetish. :lookaround: :lol:
    Better late than never! Congrats on what sounds like a great find!
    Those! :inlove: BTW...based on your recommendation, we had lunch here the Sunday before last. The place was P A C K E D! The food was good, as well and reasonably priced. [​IMG]

5. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

I picked these two pieces up because it's the first time I've seen them in the wild and they seemed to be reasonably useable trousers (though way, way too big for me). In my haste I may have overlooked a few details that made these a bad purchase. Comments please!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OK.... but what's up with this seam on the back?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These are about the same size as the Canali, if slightly bigger, but there are two issues, one potentially life threatening

This is a sorry representation of the stains on the front left leg near the cuff (one in the top right, two near the bottom of the pic). Can they be cleaned away, or is this, as I suspect, bleach and I'm SOL?

[​IMG]

Here's an easier fix: loose stitching!

[​IMG]

I can measure up either/both if anyone's interested. I got a fairly nice pair of Theory (yeah, yeah) trousers out of the deal, so I won't be heartbroken if these weren't worth picking up (I suspect they still were, yes?).

Oh, the Oxxfords have double pleats.

6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

These are 8 D

7. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

So on my Moygashel Irish linen tie, I've found a couple of interesting details:

Rooster in the '70s made ties of Moygashel Irish linen.

The dude behind Rooster has done a lot with RL and Nautica and Burberry since.

And my tie isn't a Rooster. So I'm back a square one. But, there's gonna be some interesting back-story to it when I dig a little more, I'm sure.

8. horse's_ass

horse's_ass Senior member

Horrible thing happened today - found a NWT Pringle lambswool sweater, riddled with holes.

9. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Hate when that happens. Found a YSL Pour Homme shirt a couple months ago...only to notice the snag. At least you didn't buy it and notice the holes later.

10. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

I had to pass on a Luciano Barbera the other day over condition issues. Dress shirt with frayed collar.
    Oh yeah, that luxury Barbour sweater I will send you pics when I get time - you will like it ;)

11. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

Interestingly, I found my first Pringle today. Unfortunately not NWT, thankfully without any moth holes [​IMG].

12. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

They were already listed on the bay on Friday and have a bid or two. Good news for you is they are still pulling low numbers.

13. Brianpore

Brianpore B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief

Nice find!!

14. matty long legs

matty long legs Senior member

I was swimming in Southwick today. Passed on a made in Ireland donegal tweed sport coat but did purchase a brooks brothers makers tweed. 42L. Black and brown herringbone. Fully canvassed. Fit a little big. Has a couple tiny moth holes but they are hardly noticeable in this pattern. Available so I'll post pics if anyone is interested.

15. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Those suits aren't Zegna.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.