The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

Good day already and its only the afternoon. Mint R. Caruso Suit, Hugo Boss Baldessarini Suit, Burberry Tweed SC, and J + M Aristocraft SHELL Wingtip Shoes. Total Bill $32

2. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Was having problems with the spoilers again. I picked these up in the last couple days.

3. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

4. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

NICE

I got my one and only pair of shells (Nettletons) at a thrift...for somewhere south of five bucks. It's way out of the way (90 miles) but I am going back Saturday en route to visiting a pal...also found gator loafers (Cable & Co, but still, topy'd and great for lunchtime walks when one doesn't want to wear better shoes he'd put on for the office in the morning).

Congrats. Finding shell at a thrift might be the best application of the :slayer:

5. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

Stopped by GW yesterday and saw that the GREEN tags were very recent and since I had been there a couple of times, just started looking at green. No ties to speak of so I went to the suits.

Came across an orphan SC custom made with owner name:

Made through Fit-Wel, in Hong Kong, for A.L. Merritt (couldn't find any owner info on the net)

[​IMG]

Left the orphan and a few coats later, I find a full suit for the same guy, go back and get orphan, keep looking...SC #3 same owner, DB suit #4 same owner, orphan #5 same owner, SC #6 same owner, DB (made by Faconnable in Italy) orphan suit #7 same owner...........Heart rate is racing, rush over to pants, start scanning green tags, orphan #1 pants, orphan #5 pants. Then, could I be lucky, orphan number 7 pants, no just Stafford's! Few more looks, bingo, orphan #7 pants.

These are super nice, made between 2005-2008. Pick stitching, surgeon cuffs, amazing fabrics, Zegna Trofeo, Zegna Tropical, Vitale Barberis Cononico Super 110's, Dormeuil 15 point 8 BLUE, . Pants are pleated, with no cuffs but do have the slit on one side of each cuff and about 3" extra fabric.

They are all within a half inch or so in measurements, but there TOO BIG FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Who needs a new wardrobe! Will take suggestions on best way to sell, move, trade, bay,,,,,,

Measurements: Suit coats: PTP 23.50", Shoulder 20", sleeve 24" +1, Length from bottom of collar 31".
    Pants: 38 waist, 32 inseam (a lot of fabric inside, 3" see picture), 42.5 outseam, leg opening 9.25"

#1 3-button suit- made by Fit-Wel from E. Zegna cashmere-silk fabric, Blue with overcheck:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]They sewed the content label upsidedown [​IMG]

Suit #2 Vitale Barberis Canonico super 110's in brownish/olive?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sport Coat #3 (edited 2-10-12, went back 2 days later and found pants) a stunning, super soft, grey with purple stripe Dormeuil 15 point 8 BLUE fabric.

Non working cuffs.[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

DB suit #4, another made by Fit-Wel from Vitale Barberis super 110's in Olive

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Suit #5 A made by Fit-Wel from E. Zegna Tropical Australian wool in navy blue with very nice contrasting buttons, again, surgeon cuffs. The pants match in fabric color, but the buttons seemed like they should have been solid color.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sport Coat #6 another made by Fit-Wel from E. Zegna Trofeo Australian wool. Blue with raised overcheck.

[​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

Suit #7 DB Blue Faconnable Tailleur, designed by Albert Goldberg, made in Italy stunner.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Pant leg hem:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  6. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

My favorite find of the week so far.

There are no tags or labels on it except a tattered cloth tag in the side pocket which has become see through over time and a collar loop tag which reads "all pure wool"

[​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. grendel

grendel Senior member

^^^ Wow... Nice haul!

It's a good thing those are too big for me. I'm trying not to spend money right now [​IMG]

8. MattR

MattR Senior member

That's a great haul! :slayer:

If only that charcoal PRL was a short....I have the exact opposite problem of Andro's ape arms/legs.

Seriously. NoVa is square-toe and cracked leather central.

9. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

8 D

McAfees are more your size at 12.5 B

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  10. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Picked these Old Red Wing Boots up on Friday too. Their warm glow just wouldn't let me leave them on the shelf.

[​IMG]

11. Cotton Dockers

Cotton Dockers Senior member

So cool, I love thrift finds/stories like this.

12. eddievddr10

eddievddr10 Senior member

wow it just goes to show the state of b&s on the forum, the archived b&s has over 100 viewers at the moment! while active only has about 200!, think there needs to be some major changes

13. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

The newspaper page had some comics and the crossword puzzle. On the other side there was an ad for War Bonds, and an article about how the 1943 penant race was beginning the following day, dispite the loss of baseball players to the armed forces and war industrial jobs.
    It was cool to think the shoes hadn't been worn since that time period.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  14. ATLjon

ATLjon Senior member

Can anyone help me out with a vintage on these tags?

[​IMG]

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Several very nice hauls today, way to go guys.

Stopped for a few minutes this afternoon while running an errand. Didn't pick up anything, but found a rather unusual creature. Tan tweed double breasted SC. Side vented. Couldn't measure it, but I tried it on and it seemed like about a 42-44 L. I think you can make out the ticket pocket (or whatever it is, I don't know the distinctions). Pretty cool, but I couldn't find a maker or any tag (not even a size tag). The only tag was from one of the nice men's stores in town (Roger Stevens, for any who know Milwaukee). The ipod pic is pretty lousy, the color is definitely tan, not gray, and it has lots of flecking in it. If anyone is interested in a trade (wide open to anything nice) I can check again next time I'm there.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.