The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattR

MattR Senior member

I've done the hanging. The times I can remember it failing was probably due more to my own impatience than anything else.

And you're completely right - too wrinkled needs professional help or it's over.

One other thing I've tried that had some success was placing the tie in my tie drawer to add pressure without too much heaviness. This works better for edges than on the "body" of the tie.

2. Shiny

Shiny Senior member

Left behind a lightweight leather jacket today. The reason I left it behind was that the lining was worn in spots and was coming off the inside of the jacket. Question: how much does someone charge to replace the poly lining inside a leather jacket? Most leather jackets I try on at thrifts is heavy. Not this one. Fit me nicely. Should I go back?

3. catside

catside Senior member

A sewing needle, string, and lining from Joann's fabrics will set you back ten bucks. Patch it up. :D

4. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Read on: http://www.acontinuouslean.com/2012/01/25/better-than-new-re-crafting-the-red-wing-875/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Dude, that is so awesome. I have a copy of that Spawn issue with Cerebus, that was where I first saw the little critter.

Let me know if you ever find any autographed Stray Bullets graphic novels. Damn, I lusted after Cerebus 1st editions at my favorite comic shop when I was like 14. I didn't have enough scratch for anything that coveted, I was mostly limited to scarce Uncanny X-Men jams or Witchblade and Gen-13 rarities. I really need to get my comics from my parents' storage unit and revisit my former geekdom.

5. Towers

Towers Senior member

Massive shirt haul today:

Burberry London, Gitman Bros., Paul Smith London (available), Palazzo Altieri Roma (available, linen, made in Italy), PRL, Hilditch & Key (available), NWT Zenga
    [​IMG]
    Boss, Canali, Zenga Sport, Turnbull and Asser (available, pleated shirt w/ turndown collar), Etro Milano (available)
    [​IMG]
    Zenga, BB x 3 (19 - 33/34)
    [​IMG]
    BB x 2 (available, one original polo, one outlet line), Armani Collezioni
    [​IMG]
    Also found my first hand rolled pocket square (ladies scarf in thrift store parlance) and a pair of polo shoes I'm going to try to restore
    [​IMG]

Most of the available shirts are 16 or 16.5 except the three massive brooks brothers polos.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012

6. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

You dont say! Thats like a whole wardrobe right there.

7. jkidd41011

jkidd41011 Senior member

Just an update on TJ Maxx. Went to the one in downtown Nati...Saw a couple Ferragamo's, Missoni, a Fendi, and a Caravalli sp. These where not there a couple weeks ago when everyone was making the crazy finds.

8. lastdonb

lastdonb Senior member

I'm sorry but are you serious!

You read through a post that took the better part of two hours posting not counting pictures and measurements and the best you can do is "those suits aren't Zegna"!

Those are 7 excellent, hand crafted, custom made suits as I posted, did I say they were Zegna? Lets look deeper at the post:

Made through Fit-Wel, in Hong Kong,

These are super nice, made between 2005-2008. Pick stitching, surgeon cuffs, amazing fabrics, Zegna Trofeo, Zegna Tropical, Vitale Barberis Cononico Super 110's, Dormeuil 15 point 8 BLUE, . Pants are pleated, with no cuffs but do have the slit on one side of each cuff and about 3" extra fabric.

Didn't say they were Zegna there!

#1 3-button suit- E. Zegna cashmere-silk fabric, Blue with overcheck: How about this one, did say it was a Zegna suit?

Suit #5 An E. Zegna Tropical Australian wool in navy blue with very nice contrasting buttons, again, surgeon cuffs.

Maybe that one confused you!

I posted pictures of all the suits showing the tags as Zegna fabric!!!!

What didn't you get! If you were a noob I could understand why you may be confused, but your a SENIOR MEMEBER!!!

9. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Which of the shirts are 16 neck? Any with a 20.5 p2p?

10. grendel

grendel Senior member

I went to Marshall's today... Saw a Brioni tie marked at $129.99, an ugly Canali tie at $30, and a semi-ugly Versace tie at $70. Nothing worth picking up.

11. Towers

Towers Senior member

a couple are 16 (off the top of my head, the h&k, the etro) but i dont know that any of them are that slim fitting, maybe the paul smith london but it's a 15.5.

12. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

LOL, your rant reminds me of a professor who lent me his thesis and when I returned the next day, all he could say was "you bastard, it took you a few hours to read what took me 4 years to write". Its good to let out some steam, but never forget your hours of hard work gets scanned over in a few seconds. Even I thought intitially you thought they were made by Zegna since I just skimmed through your post. Cant fault good old Tben for briefly scanning without absorbing every detail. You are right, you had a respectable suit haul. It is a shame none of us took the time to comment, but this thread moves too fast to read every post in detail. Next time you post 4 Kiton suits, believe me, everyone here will take notice ;) Welcome to the forum and this thread BTW.

13. RealBubaji

RealBubaji Well-Known Member

14. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    Warning: Spoiler! Zenga SC Blue (Click to hide)
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Wow, calm down. You forgot to go back an edit this one. But in all seriousness you have some great finds here, and some really quality items. To be honest, you have probably found more quality items than I ever have so I applaud you. I made the mistake when I first started and thought that nice "cloth by" patch meant it was Zegna. I had a really quality mtm item on my hands made from Zegna cloth, but it just wasn't Zegna. I just wouldn't want you to portray the item wrong when trying to flip, sell on eBay, etc. I am sorry that my intellect and senior member status didn't meet all of the expectations that it apparently comes with.

15. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    No doubt, the suits are really nice and appear to be very high quality. Like I said, I used to make mistakes with cloth patches all the time; Zegna, Loro Piana, etc. and I just didn't want him to make the same mistakes, portraying the suits as something they weren't when he was trying to resell them. For all I know the suits and SC's in his possession may have a higher retail and resell value than a Zegna suit or SC. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.