• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
those shoes are cool. not my size though.

tonylumpkin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thats a crappy pic, but looks real from here. Thats the first line "Couture" level of Versace - the best menswear they made at the time. This is the same line as the silk shirts that are all in my eBay link go for great money on eBay. The shirt is most likely a silk crepe, those cufflink buttons (should be 3 - one at the neck, one on each cuff) are notorious for having the crystals fall out, so some may be missing. The size tag is located in the upper left hand shoulder, right on the seam. The material content tag, which should have been located right under the Gianni Versace label has been cut out, so I can't pinpoint much else for you, but my best guess is that it dates to about 1996-1997.
If you are looking to list it on eBay, try "Vintage Versace Couture Mens Silk Crystal PreDeath Shirt (size)" Make sure you feel confident in calling it silk without a content tag though first. Nice find. Im not surprised about finding it in Philly though - one of the biggest collectors I know lives not too far from there.

Thanks Spoo! Everything is just as you said. The size is 50 and as you can see, the Medusa button at the collar is missing, replaced by a nice big MOP one. It almost appears to have been the original button, as the button hole accommodates it, and it is a much larger button. The two remaining at the cuffs both have their crystals. I'll have to find someone to confirm that it is silk crepe, but that was my guess before you suggested it. The construction is superb and, although its impossible to tell from the crappy picture, the front is pleated, as in a tuxshirt. What's a ballpark on what these fetch on eBay?

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I almost plunged on a bunch yesterday.....
1 Sulka pure cashmere DB blue blazer, made by St. Andrews. Tags were ripped out, but was a little large on me.
A Barneys dongeal wool shirt jacket
a couple of Zegna suits
Jeff Rose shirt.

bought nothing.....

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

How hard are parts to get for these? As I drove by..it didn't look terrible if that makes sense. Looks to have the original rims which looked pretty cool.

Not hard at all. Parts are still available and many are shared with the GTI/Golf/Jetta. They're great cars, the rust usually gets them, though.

How hard are parts to get for these? As I drove by..it didn't look terrible if that makes sense. Looks to have the original rims which looked pretty cool.

I almost plunged on a bunch yesterday.....
1 Sulka pure cashmere DB blue blazer, made by St. Andrews. Tags were ripped out, but was a little large on me.
A Barneys dongeal wool shirt jacket
a couple of Zegna suits
Jeff Rose shirt.
bought nothing.....

Were the Zegnas recent? If so, what size and colors?

Rad5

Reaction score
I've been lurking for quite a while and I figure id share my latest haul of ties!

I've never encountered Versace before, so I'm not sure if its fake or not.

Digmenow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to see if I could participate in Man Of Lint's monthly No Purchase club so I've limited my time in the thrift stores. That said, I failed miserably in September, having spent less than a C-note but even a paltry sum is a failure. You just can't predict what treasures you'll find on any given thrift day.

In that spirit and since it's Wednesday (Senior Citizen Discount Day at Goodwill!), I was in the neighborhood of a location that I see around once a month and dropped in to see what was up. I'm always thrilled to find wooden shoe trees, even when they have the plastic heel/handle and today, I found a pair of each and they were marked $2/pair instead of the usual and inexplicable $2/each ( I mean, who buys one tree?) so I copped both pair.

I have become VERY selective regarding dress shirt purchases. No more tent like Tyrwhitts in odd looking stripes and such. I want solid white or light blue, spread collar, non-iron and slim fit. There were TWO Brooks Brothers SW,SC, NI,SF shirts with a collar just at the outer edge of my size. They were brand new w/o tags. How do I know? There were blacked out labels in the back of the shirts (indicating BB donations?) and BB tags attached through the button holes indicating they were returned as the wrong size. No rips, stains, all the buttons in place.

Total damage was under $12 including tax.

I'd show you pics but I'm over my photobucket bandwidth limit and really, do we need more pics of white shirts on hangers and shoe trees?

High five and don't leave me hangin'!

Last edited:

tonylamer

Reaction score
Digmenow, I applaud your selectivity. I have over 100 dress shirts now--I just can't pass up a mainline Zegna shirt for $6, and they seem to be falling from the sky. The same thing's happening with ties. Ties are $1/piece around here, and it has to be the centre of the vintage wool-tie universe. I went grocery shopping during half-time in the Bills game on Sunday, and I figured I'd put on a tie just to wear some of the stuff. Here's a cool PRL hunt-themed tie that I found yesterday. (I had to use my web cam, so the quality's terrible.)

contactme_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never encountered Versace before, so I'm not sure if its fake or not.
It looks real to me but just really old. Spoo will know for sure though.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Hoofit

Reaction score

Real, from what I can tell. If the tag on the skinny end says made in Spain, its 90-91. If it says made in Italy, its 92-93.

^^^ Spoo is turning out to be the smartest person I know on the internet. And I dont even really know you, but your knowlege is inspiring. Maybe you have some stock tips for the rest of us.

eddievddr10

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that versace is def before 95 thats when i pronounced it versase :embar:

Last edited:

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yhpgf.png

You and Elizabeth Berkley...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics