1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I was gonna start cutting out a kidney... but black trenches make me think of the Columbine kids.

2. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

In that case, if a GW, they often distribute their stuff over a few GW's in a certain area. It will be worth going to others and see if they have pitched up there. A longshot, but better than nothing. Without the pants, that RLPL odd jacket is restricted in its attractiveness and use. Most here would not touch it, although eBay is full of people willing to pay $100 or so just to say they have a RLPL.

EU, but has already been Dibbed by another here, sorry bro!
    I have not measured pants yet, seem like medium rise. About 12" or so.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to look!

Whats he looking for on the Brioni? Id like to see the LP khakis if they are unpleated and have at least a 31" inseam.

4. mexicutioner

mexicutioner Senior member

[​IMG]

5. marblehouse

marblehouse Senior member

Can you please explain your moniker?

I can think of two possibilities and I'm hoping you're just an honest, hard-working executioner from Mexico.

6. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Started my day by hitting four stores and only coming out with an early Johnny Cash record when he was on Sun in VG+ condition. I passed on a pin striped Oxxford SC, obviously orphaned in a 39R. It fit me incredibly well, but being that it was unvented and without pants it was basically useless. From 1973!

Then, I finally hit my favorite store and had a decent tie day, one in which I passed on no less than 10 hideous, flimsy, old Zegna ties. I did pick up some incredible spring ties, one Vineyard Vines with Beluga whales printed all over, a fruit-themed Ferragamo, and a NWT Tyrwhitt. It was also a fantastic shoe day, picking up two AE loafers in 10 1/2D (Glasgow in brown, Newport in black tassle) which seem to be a hair large for me, if anyone is interested in trading for a 10D. Also, THESE:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last pic is quite blurry, but I'm basically showing that the heel wedge says "Gucci Italy" and notice that the "genuine crocodile" plate is missing from this and the other shoe. That explains why they were priced for a pittance. They are a 10 1/2 EEE, which is far too wide for me.

Spoo, any idea on their vintage?

7. mexicutioner

LOL. none of the above:

1. from mexico? not from mexico, but my parents are
    2. hard-working? ummmm
    3. executioner? nope, i'm an attorney
    4. honest? see #3 above

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  8. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

+1 - db pinstripe is going to be a suit. Find those pants!

I swear, everyone is on a tear lately! I even have an in-real-life friend who lives in the LA area now who mentioned going to Goodwill and seeing two RLPL shirts. He left them, since he remembered I told him that almost all RL stuff is crap except their top line... which he didn't recall I mentioned had a purple label. :brick: He'll be there at opening tomorrow, though.

9. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Id love to know what you paid for those. That font is from the Tom Ford era, probably about 95 or so? They still make it, still in stores, never goes on sale. Id suggest getting them resoled at Gucci, or have Gucci refurb them (they will do so for a fair charge), ask for a Gucci box and bags, and sell the motherfuckingshit out of them. You may come home with 800+.

10. AndroFan

AndroFan Senior member

So, revise to "kinda" on #3 then, yes? [​IMG]

Quote:

11. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Dubs on the rlpl shirt if not already called, also the Caruso if you decide it's not for you! (I love me some Caruso)

12. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

Was it from the store I think it was from?

13. amnesiacv2

amnesiacv2 Well-Known Member

Today was $2 day at the local GW. It was mobbed so I figured pickings were going to be slim, plus that particular one has a lot of generic crap. I think I managed okay:

- Vintage brown Gucci blazer with brass buttons. About a size 38. Needs dry cleaning. Available. -
    - GIvenchy Monsieur SC, also about a 38. Available.
    - Givenchy Monsiuer SC, size 42. I might keep this one
    - Valentino DB suit, greyish blue. Size 42. Still debating about keeping this.

For $8, not too bad.

14. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

:nodding:

:D

15. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

:confused:

I was sort of excited to find a NWT Paul Smith shirt, recently. Made in Italy, pearl buttons, brown with a nice small polka dot-ish pattern -- and a price of $400!

Why no special!

:(

We must see this. Immediately.

16. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

New rule: you must change your avatar to Danny Trejo at once.

17. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

OMG yes, I've had a mental image of Danny Trejo in my head ever since mexecutioner started posting in this thread...

18. Klobber

Klobber Senior member

Caruso, glad to give it you. Need to get at least a couple of wears from it though ;).
    RLPL? Did not know you were a 16.5 my friend, would have certainly offered it to you right away. As it is, dibbed by another gent on this forum.

I agree with this gentleman. I like Paul Smith stuff. The London and PS lines are lower quality, but mainline stuff is generally good.

19. mexicutioner

LOL you guys are lucky i'm still procrastiworking on a friday night.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  20. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Haha, CLASSIC.

Well, it was more of a question, but thanks. Of the limited stuff I've handled, I really can't tell the difference between Paul Smith mainline and the usual vaunted suspects.

P.S. When you are going to finish that story about the experiment you helped conduct in grad school? The one with the labeled vs. unlabeled shirts, and so forth. I found it...fascinating -- but didn't want to just assume that the outcome matched-up with my own experiences.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.