• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShayaEXQT

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I just looked in a Zegna Couture suit i picked up thrifting in London.. it belonged to Stephen Alden

Could it be the same guy as this:

Quote:

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought these for my dad over the weekend, but they don't fit him "right"...picky bastard. Pendleton blackwatch plaid wool shirt, size L. PRL yellow cotton coat, size L. PRL blue shirt sleeve shirt, classic fit size L. All have very very light use. If you're interested send me a PM...or they'll make it to the B&S or ebay sometime soonish.

threeleggeddog

Reaction score
I grabbed two items yesterday at a trendy thrift. Prices are usually ridiculously weird, selling higher end designers at the same price as GAP (or maybe they are ridiculously right with regards to similar fabric quality).

In any event, I got a bold blue and white striped GANT blazer, cotton and unstructured, size 50 (perfect fitting), functional cuffs, perfect condition: $22.

I also got a purplish (kind of interesting plum color, which seemed occassional but also kind of rock-and-roll) blazer from Crosby Hallen and Cobb. I know NOTHING about what this brand typically sold for (and if anyone has any input, let me know), but it felt much nicer constructed than anything else they were selling. Regardless, it was interesting and $20. It had a few white (don't want to know) blotches on it, that I think will come out.

So two blazers: $42 total. Not a super steal, but surprising (I thought the shop would have priced these higher, being trendy/hip/etc).

I passed on a pinstripe Theory suit for $40. The blazer fit ok, but the pants were hilarious. Whoever previously owned these things tailored them to super-flare at the bottom. Imagine a grey pinstripe suit, with pants that have a 16" knee and 24+" opening. I can only imagine what this guy looked like when (if) he wore this to work.

Last edited:

MattR

Reaction score
Some pics of the Zegna PJs. Taken with an Iphone as my cat tried to make his way in, so they are how they are. Just for future reference, is there a tutorial on how to do spoilers?

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brian - you upload like an animal. You pretty much have the listings complete by the time you get into the car :lol:

How is it possible that with efficiency like that you only have 280 feedback on eBay in 10 years?

Brianpore

B&S (BS) ambassador-in-chief
Reaction score
Brian - you upload like an animal. You pretty much have the listings complete by the time you get into the car
lol8[1].gif

How is it possible that with efficiency like that you only have 280 feedback on eBay in 10 years?
I wish I got more stuff up faster, it takes a ton of time (as you know). Bought 37 items on Saturday and got 27 of them listed already. Need to take the photos, edit the photos, take the measurements, upload the photos and then post everything. The new forum being a lot slower since the update hasn't helped. I really enjoy doing it though and the few extra bucks don't hurt. I've only been thrifting for 2 or 3 months, and half the people don't leave feedback (and a bunch sells here on the forum) which is why its still pretty low. I've had eBay since 16? and just bought stuff here and there for the first 8 years lol. I just wish more people would make offers on things I have listed and I need a damn mannequin.

Here's a teaser for tomorrow :)

PS - Spoo, what is a realistic price for this Saint Andrews Spa Sportcoat I have? Don't usually deal with that high end of items. Can you PM if you get a sec. Thanks

Last edited:

Cedric

Reaction score
Real or fake?
Christian Dior, double breasted, wool, navy pinstripe. I have never been a big fan of the brand itself, but this was cheap enough. Plus i absolutely hate the shoulders.
Is it real or fake? Maybe the experts on here can tell.

Few pics

2n0o9w9.jpg

2ywvbsj.jpg

2qa0qck.jpg

i6jmrk.jpg

Last edited:

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
^ That CD looks fake, the font and logo are just a bit off from what I can see. At the very best case scenario, its a licensed number with virtually no value.
Spoo, what is a realistic price for this Saint Andrews Spa Sportcoat I have? Don't usually deal with that high end of items. Can you PM if you get a sec. Thanks
Thats a really nice coat. I had a SA 100% cashmere SC last year in a gorgeous gun club. I think I sold it for $125ish.

horse's_ass

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some decent luck today:

Couple pairs of Allen Edmonds loafers - a nice pair of Woodstocks (11D) and a pair of Enfields (11D). Also found a pair of Church's driving mocs (10.5) and some black Polo tassel mocs (10.5D).

Also found a Joseph Abboud Plaid "American Soft" blazer (42S) that's still being sold for full price ($495) at Nordstrom. Finally, i swung by TJ Maxx. No Black Fleece or Golden Fleece, but got a really nice Polo madras tie for 10 bucks.

I'll probably keep the Enfields and the Church's and probably the Polo tie, but hit me up if you're interested in any of the other items.

Also, a question:

I found Corneliani DB, roughly a size 41/42. 85% wool, 15% cashmere. It had some pretty pronounced peak lapels and was ventless, so I passed. Is there any value here? The suit was 10 bucks.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Picked up a cool early 60's Schwinn Racer today from the thrift. Original black paint in great shape. Tires had air in them and hold it well. $13.

Looks just like this, but has the original black/white seat with the S on it:

Nice bike Nataku. You going to swan around town in it, tootling from thrift to thrift with your wicker basket mounted on the bars? (Forgive my scepticism, but I doubt this "racer" ever saw a velodrome) :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads