1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I thought this thread would have been popping after 2012 with all the last minute donations. :confused:

2. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Spoo enough with the ties and suits! Next time you clean your closet how about hitting the shirts. I love the ones I bought from you last time.

3. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Actually, I just did that. Stuff is at the cleaners now, was planning a thread for next week.

4. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

you cleaned them?!

well now you just lost one buyer

5. SpooPoker

:uhoh:

6. phoenixrecon

phoenixrecon Senior member

when you remove the most desirable aspect of a piece of clothing you kinda kill the value...

Its like cleaning a fine painting with Windex.

you should have seen it coming

7. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  8. toscano_adottato

toscano_adottato Senior member

Dibs

9. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Wow, getting jealous of everyone who's actually finding good stuff at Marshall's and TJ Maxx. I got the finest crap in town at the Marshall's I hit the other day. Alot of Axist, Hilfiger, Cole Haan...etc. Some people may like those designers... but I don't. I hit up an Arc too. Found an orphaned Oxxford suit jacket, size 39 Sh. Turned the store upside down, never found the pants. So I had to leave it.

Oh and to the guy who found the Cucinelli at Marshall's for $69.00 :eek:..... :fu:

10. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

^^ How does something that nice stick around in the stores long enough to wait out interest for a couple days. That thing wouldn't last 4 hours in my local stores.

11. MattR

MattR Senior member

There are usually a few hanging out at that price around here.

12. acosbysweater

acosbysweater Senior member

Today's snags:

Mid-90s? Eddie Bauer goose down-fill parka that fits me oustandingly well. It's probably a 60/40 like most cotton outerwear. It is missing the zip on hood and was steeply priced at $25, but I've been looking for a coat exactly like this in a trim size and it's even in a favorable burnt orange color. One tiny stain on the side and some cuff wear, but this will be fantastic for winter hikes and what not.

97cm Pringle of Scotland belt. I tried to find a single Pringle belt on eBay or even Google for that matter...nada. I know that Barneys and Park and Bond sell their knits and outerwear, but the belts seem to be a phantom item. Anyone else seen a Pringle belt? It's an incredibly stout leather with a contrasting suede (?) overlay, featuring the Pringle script and a coat of arms-style lion, which I assume to be their logo.

36" Brown coach belt...pretty standard. Veggie dyed leather, made in Turkey.

Left behind a pretty fantastic, in style (as far as streetwear goes), mid-70s L.L. Bean Chamois shirt in 14 1/2 neck size (XS, essentially) in a camo print. I really really love the look of vintage camo and the chamois shirt is a stone cold classic fall and spring hunting garment. Oh well, now I know to look for a 15 1/2 in this print.

Both of the belts are up for sale or trade; they are in immaculate condition.

13. tben

tben Senior member

Quote:
    People in my area are more interested in Jack Spade and Marc by Marc Jacobs than Cucinelli.

14. Brianpore

Brianpore Senior member

Most of the XS stuff flips pretty well as us small guys have a hard time finding it due to being on the end of the bell curve [​IMG]

15. Patrologia

Patrologia Senior member

Which BB line is this label? I couldn't tell from anything else in the suit b/c I just don't know BB that well.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

16. Kitontini

Kitontini Senior member

Exactly! How did the Cucinelli last long enough to be clearanced down to $69?! Everyone around my area buys things just to buy them. Some guy at my secret store bought a NWT Caruso sportcoat.... for $10.... only cause he liked the colors. He had no idea who the maker was!

17. LooknGr8

LooknGr8 Senior member

I have found all the thrift stores loaded this month. I thought it was because no one thrifts around Christmas because they don't have time and got presents, anyway, and were busy with holiday stuff...didn't even think about getting those tax breaks for calendar 2011.

I couldn't believe seeing the Savers loading dock 2 days after Christmas...overflowing with furniture and toys and other goods like I'd never seen before, so the tax argument makes total sense.

As far as my own finds, I've nabbed several very nice shirts in my size (15-32), which usually I have to settle for 32/33 or the dreaded 15/15-1/2. Like shooting fish in a barrel. Lots of other excellent stuff but not in my size (Canali shirts, etc.) that are at best uncommon in my neck of the woods. Nothing worth posting pix of here. But your Marshall's tip (see previous) was right on the money.

18. capnwes

capnwes Senior member

Today's findings...not so bad.
    See link in signature for measurements and other details.

Nordstrom Classics SC 3 Button .... Loro Piana Cashmere

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lanvin Suede SC

[​IMG][​IMG]

Chaps Ralph Lauren Camel Hair SC

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Wool and Alpaca SC Made in England for Todays Man

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lanvin Wool SC

[​IMG][​IMG]

Hammersley of England Wool and Cashmere Top Coat

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. MattR

MattR Senior member

I've had the exact opposite experience so far. Everywhere is cleared out. Maybe they are trying to restock after the holidays (the places were mobbed right before Christmas). Or maybe Andro and Toscanno cleaned house while I was out of town...:paranoia:

20. grendel

grendel Senior member

Here's some pics of the stuff I found earlier

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The stains weren't as bad as I thought
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyone recognize the maker from this tag?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Went out tonight after dinner... Found another of these XL Luciano Barbera sport shirts at the same place. That's 4 now.
    [​IMG]

Then I went to Savers. Found these interesting Lacoste sneakers but didn't get them... Anyone know anything about them? I think they were around a 9 or 9.5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also saw this interesting Winchester shooting sweater / jacket. Not sure if it could be flipped so I didn't get it.

[​IMG]

They had a ton of NWT blazers and sportcoats from LRL, Chaps, Nautica, and even Alan Flusser. Some store must have been dumping their leftover stock. I picked up these 2, a Brooks Brothers sportcoat and a Harris Tweed with the newest Harris Tweed tag I've ever seen. They're both basically NWOT and both fit, but I think the BB is too yellow for my complexion, so it's available (41R)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Made in Mexico?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also picked up 2 more driving caps... One charcoal grey 100% cashmere, made in Ireland, labelled Foxhunter, and one navy and green plaid wool with a label inside under a plastic protector that says Dobbs Park Avenue New York.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.