The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

What size are you? I see those 'round these parts all the time. Makes sense, since they were a local brand.
    Seriously?! Wow! I've only found one in my entire thrifting career and it was a Small! I'm a Medium-Large. If you see any other SW stuff (I know they made packs too) or any Class 5 stuff (down jackets, parkas or packs) in nice shape with the old ice-pick label (not the rose label) in M-L I'm your guy. They were out of Calif. too, but I cannot recall what area. In any case, do let me know! [​IMG]

2. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

this vintage Velva Sheen shirt ( does anyone know what this style of shirt is called and if anyone is making them?).
    [​IMG]

I love that you collect vintage hiking gear Nataku and would love to see your stash sometime.

Cool shirt! Love it - screams early 80s!

As for my gear collection, you should have seen it 5-6 years ago. Had a walk-in closet at my parent's house packed full with down parkas, tents, sleeping bags and packs. Had tons of oddball stuff like ice-picks, walking sticks, lanterns and backpacking stoves too. Since then I've tried to thin down the herd to a select few pieces. Still keeping the stuff I use and stuff that's too nice to sell. My main area of interest is stuff made between the mid 70's and early 80's. A Synergy Works parka like the one pictured is my next grail item. I had one that fit me perfect but lost it on a camping trip while up by the boundary waters. Hope someone rescued it and is enjoying it. Since then, I've found one just like it but it was a Small. I've been looking for another for 3 years now.

3. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

Cool shirt! Love it - screams early 80s!

As for my gear collection, you should have seen it 5-6 years ago. Had a walk-in closet at my parent's house packed full with down parkas, tents, sleeping bags and packs. Had tons of oddball stuff like ice-picks, walking sticks, lanterns and backpacking stoves too. Since then I've tried to thin down the herd to a select few pieces. Still keeping the stuff I use and stuff that's too nice to sell. My main area of interest is stuff made between the mid 70's and early 80's. A Synergy Works parka like the one pictured is my next grail item. I had one that fit me perfect but lost it on a camping trip while up by the boundary waters. Hope someone rescued it and is enjoying it. Since then, I've found one just like it but it was a Small. I've been looking for another for 3 years now.

Check your pms sucka!

4. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Whoa, thanks! For some reason it wasn't showing I had new PMs. Replied.

5. Stewie

Stewie Senior member

Ok...Since Nataku want the M-L's let me know if you find any S-M's and I will be glad to take them off your hand as well. Any Chouinard items as well, even the rugby shirts!

D

6. alanjav

alanjav Senior member

7. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

8. 83glt

83glt Senior member

Penhaligon's scent library and "The Amazing Golf Swing Clock (Laser Time)" - $5.

9. SimonC

SimonC Senior member

Sorry in advance, but I lucked out today. I saw this in a shop window, and just liked it without knowing who made it. I looked for a makers mark and couldn't find one, but purchased it for a modest price. Whilst giving the leather a feed, I noticed a small mark on the bottom. Held it up to the light, and hey presto! From a quick Google, it seems to be made from Clemence leather and canvas, and is about 24" high and 11" across the base - quite sizeable and weighty. Any guesses on how old it is? I'm all for keeping it (after all, I purchased it because I liked the style), but knowing the value of Hermes items I think I may be better off flipping it and putting the money to a more practical use. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. YoungAmerican

YoungAmerican Senior member Dubiously Honored

Spectacular find, Simon. Beautiful bag.

11. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

How it works:
    Thanks to some encouragement here last week, I bought an Etro sport coat for $50
    that I was gonna pass on. Flipped it on Ebay for $42 profit, then bought a NWT Charvet
    shirt for $45 over the weekend. End result, NWT Charvet shirt for $3
    =) Thanks guys!

i am so taking some credit for this!!!

12. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

13. Nataku

Nataku Senior member

Wow - amazing find on the bag!

14. AlanC

AlanC Minister of Trad

Congrats, Simon!

I'd be very torn on keeping or flipping, too. I'd probably fall on the side of flipping, though.

15. Xenos

Xenos Senior member

El Pueblo de Nuestra Señora la Reina de los Ángele
    SimonC, sweet bag! Excellent find!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.