The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

Indeed. I'm not even putting my silk Macclesfield P.S. find in the thread as the bag overshadows anything found for the rest of the week!

Dig, you and Navi found pocket sqrs recently. Where do thrift stores usually keep them? I've never seen any.
    Happy thrifting.

2. jobro

jobro Senior member

Dig, you and Navi found pocket sqrs recently. Where do thrift stores usually keep them? I've never seen any. Happy thrifting.
    Womens scarves section.

3. Digmenow

Digmenow Senior member

Womens scarves section.

+1

4. Ewath

Ewath New Member

Hi. Just found this forum. I have been thrift shopping for about two years. I am still new and learning to differentiate the junk from the good stuff. I decided to stop dressing like a boy and more like a grownup recently.

I found this a couple years ago before I really knew what Issey Miyake was. It is definitely dated but it fits well and the style is popular among the hipster crowd, and it is in stellar shape, looks to be worn very little. Thinking about throwing it up on Ebay. Anyways, here are some pics. I will throw up some more pictures of other finds.

Also, any advice on what to look for or brands that are/were well made would be helpful as I sift through what I own, get rid of outfits that do not work and replenish with more quality garments.

Thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. pneumo

pneumo Active Member

made in Italy Johnston & Murphy, not in the greatest condition, but they were cheaper than a happy meal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Womens scarves section.

I've found Hermes and Chanel womens scarfs.. just thought I'd take a look one day, now I ALWAYS do! [​IMG]

7. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

8. Handcuffed

Handcuffed Senior member

Can I get 3rd dibs on those AE brogues 13's if the first two in line fail to pay? :=)

9. davesmith

davesmith Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

10. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

[​IMG]
    Cross-post from Trading thread:
    (click for photo album)
    [​IMG]

I have this exact same jacket, in fact I wore it today. Congratulations on your find.

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Ha, thank you both! Unfortunately, it's not my size, so today, I make myself jelly. [​IMG]

P.S. Holy shit on those whole-cut shoes, man. I can't believe those were found in a thrift...

12. TheWGP

TheWGP Senior member

One small out of the way store today... a few interesting things but nothing earth-shattering:

Very recent BB polo for myself
    Kid Icarus NES game either for the kids or to sell if they're not interested
    Very recent BB linen shorts... waist 34. These are the exact darn thing I've been looking for for 18 months... in a waist 40-42. [​IMG]
    Recent BB Made in Italy SC, USA 39R, NWOT (basted, spare thread and buttons, no wear)

Most interestingly, though, a charcoal herringbone 100% cashmere with Zegna fabric. Appears to be made by "Schildt" for Moeller am Dammtor in Hamburg. How it wound up in rural Ohio is what I'd like to know! Figured it was worth picking up based solely on the buttery Zegna cashmere.

Seriously though, anyone know anything about Schildt? It appears to be a "Model S" from the tag, but not much else to identify it. See photo of the labels.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I know, I know... no Hermes or Tom Ford surprise at the bottom of this post... sorry, but this is the real world here! [​IMG]

13. pnutpug

pnutpug Senior member

A shout-out to all my thrifting brethren.

In a Christmas tradition, my spouse and I put together greeting cards. Like this:

[​IMG]

This year, we are planning a tennis sweater deal, featuring croquet and gin-and-tonics. But we are short a couple of tennis sweaters for our four-legged family members. If any of you-all might stumble across sweaters that could be altered to fit two (or even three--I will sacrifice a BB for the largest if I must) of our mutts, we would be much appreciative. Naturally, we are happy to pay all acquisition and shipping charges, plus a gratuity for your efforts. The sweaters can be in any condition--in fact, we would prefer stained, god-awful condition sweaters with obvious odors--things that we won't feel guilty about when we get them altered to fit a dog. Thanks for any help.

14. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

made in Italy Johnston & Murphy, not in the greatest condition, but they were cheaper than a happy meal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ha ha, I had those identical boots, bought them new about 10 years ago. Decent shoe, wore them for years.

15. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

not a good thrifting day.....well found some killer stuff, but some bitch decided to make a u-turn in front of me. Not bad, but irritating. However she admitted fault, and i already heard from her ins. and theyre fixing it, and paying for a rental. I wanted to get that bumper resprayed anyways LOL [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.