The official thrift/discount store bragging thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by j, Mar 2, 2005.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkoernert

dkoernert Active Member

+1 i take back my earlier assumption, thats totally fake.

Well, away it goes. At least it only cost me 50 cents.

2. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

Here's an in-action shot of the Varvatos linen jeans(w/ Valentino shirt, pants+shirt cost me about $9) after wearing them out to dinner and drinks Friday night. [​IMG] While down on LI for the weekend I wanted to hit some thrifts thinking that I'm going to score with bigtimer wears. The first stop was a SA on the north shore. Holy disappointments. Nothing. Men's selection was terrible. On Saturday I swung by a GW and after 15mins it looked like it was going to be another bust until I spot a brilliant blue long sleeve shirt on the short sleeve rack. I pick it up and this is what I see.
    [​IMG]
    Super soft cotton, in my size. A little staining inside the cuff...I soaked it last night and it's barely there. Maybe someone can verify if it is the real McCoy.

3. ArsenalDan

ArsenalDan Senior member

3 pairs of Polo Cords for $20 each. They're samples, but I'm a sample waist (32), so works for me. We'll see how they fit.

FYI for any NYC'ers checking this thread. The Filene's Basements have a bunch of stuff currently: a lot of racks of gross Missoni stuff, some nicer Missoni stuff (blazers, dress/work pants). That's at both Union Square and UWS. The Union Square location also has a ton of Ralph Lauren stuff (mostly polo, but also a few RLBL things as well; almost everything is a Medium or 32 waist)....runs the gamut from pants and shirts to belts and underwear. There's even a couple of 100% cashmere RLBL shirts/sweaters for I think $20, but they are there for a reason: a bunch of holes. Also at Union Sq: a pair of Brioni loafers for size 8.5, selling for $300. [I don't know who makes them], and a bunch of unfinished Oxxford suits and blazers (possibly still around $1000, however).

Oh, and Nordstrom Rack has a Lanvin black velvet blazer (I think 38?) down from $2000 to like $300 right now.

4. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

While down on LI for the weekend I wanted to hit some thrifts thinking that I'm going to score with bigtimer wears. The first stop was a SA on the north shore. Holy disappointments. Nothing. Men's selection was terrible. On Saturday I swung by a GW and after 15mins it looked like it was going to be another bust

I hope you are not talking about the SA in East Northport and the GW in Huntington...

Yeah, real, but licenced I think. Maybe $20 on the bay.

5. Navi

Navi Senior member

I hope you are not talking about the SA in East Northport and the GW in Huntington...

Yeah, real, but licenced I think. Maybe $20 on the bay.

So that's where Spoo seconds are at huh? Maybe I'll go and try my luck next time I'm in Islip. [​IMG]

Any experience with the West Babylon Salvation Army by chance? I've never tried to thrift on LI. Always too busy.

6. Mannix

Mannix Senior member

A few neat things. J Crew fair isle turtleneck, Jantzen wool sweater vest, and a couple sterling silver bracelets.

Now for the cool things: 2 Hacker Pschorr beer glasses, pint bottle size ($2 each), a vintage Red Cross wool blanket ($5), vintage metal magazine rack ($1), and a very neat and very old nautical styled barometer made from copper and bronze ($15).

7. SpooPoker

SpooPoker Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

So that's where Spoo seconds are at huh? Maybe I'll go and try my luck next time I'm in Islip. [​IMG]

Any experience with the West Babylon Salvation Army by chance? I've never tried to thrift on LI. Always too busy.

[​IMG] 10 years ago when I was just a young pup with a dream, I would make the North Shore/Hampton loop once a week. There used to be gold in Huntington, but its been years since I have been there and the last time I drove by, most of them were out of business. But dollar for dollar, Huntington has (rather, had, cant speak for lately) the best shit anywhere from Bayside - Hampton Bays.

8. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

I hope you are not talking about the SA in East Northport and the GW in Huntington.. Yeah, real, but licenced I think. Maybe $20 on the bay. Thanks. I'll be wearing it soon.
    Yes, the SA in E.Northport on Bellrose. They didn't have much at all. One aquascutum SC, but wasn't my size and the lining was torn anyway. But the GW was out near Lake Grove on 25 (near Nichols Rd). That's where I got the Rubinacci.

9. SpooPoker

Yes, the SA in E.Northport on Bellrose. They didn't have much at all. One aquascutum SC, but wasn't my size and the lining was torn anyway.
    But the GW was out near Lake Grove on 25 (near Nichols Rd). That's where I got the Rubinacci.

I know that one too. I never got lucky there. But did used to score frequently at the Northport SA.

10. Chico2007

Chico2007 Senior member

But did used to score frequently at the Northport SA.
    I was surprised how little was there, but I won't give up on it.

11. An Ex Parrot

An Ex Parrot Active Member

I've been a member here less than a month, and only last week started reading this thread. "You mean I might get some decent stuff at thrift shops?" thought I. So, this weekend my wife and I hit three different shops. Found several things in my size: a couple pair NWOT BB chinos; two pairs of Brioni trousers; a lightweight silk/wool Hilfiger SC (yeah, I know--but for a light summer coat I can sweat in, it's fine); and a Zegna SC (orphaned from a suit, but so great I couldn't pass it up even without the trousers).

I found a bunch of other great stuff that is not in my size. Probably went a bit too nuts on this stuff, but I figured someone here would want it or I could sell it on Ebay. (Apparently, I can't post on B&S until I've been here 45 days. So, if something strikes your fancy, PM me and I can send more pics and measurements. Probably will Bay them in another week or two when I get the time.)

Here's the stuff I'm keeping (for now):

Zegna SC
    [​IMG]

Hilfiger SC
    [​IMG]

Brioni Trousers
    [​IMG]

And the other stuff (All is in great condition. Photos are right out of the bag, so lots of wrinkles):

Armani Le Collezioni Suit (Tan twill, 38R)
    [​IMG]

Burberry Suit (b/w houndstooth, size unmarked but I estimate about 46R or L)
    [​IMG]

Bill Blass SC (100% Camel Hair; DB; size unmarked, about 38R; amazing coat--wish it fit me)
    [​IMG]

Bespoke/MTM with Holland & Sherry SC (beautiful H&S green wool windowpane; exquisitely tailored with hacking pockets, ticket pocket and surgeon's cuffs; size unmarked, but I estimate around 40R; another one I wish was in my size)
    [​IMG]

HSM Golden Trumpeter SC (lt brown with grey windowpane; 48R)
    [​IMG]

HF Brown check SC (marked 43R)
    [​IMG]

H Freeman Brown SC (subtle red & grey windowpane, size unmarked but I estimate about 40R)
    [​IMG]

Mani suit (black with irregular white pinstripes; 46L)
    [​IMG]

John W. Nordstrom blue SC (dark navy--darker than the photo indicates)
    [​IMG]

Let the critiquing commence,

AEP

12. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

13. csoukoulis

csoukoulis Senior member

[​IMG]

Interested in working a trade for that oxxford shirt?

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

15. Ulyanov

Ulyanov Active Member

Found a pair of "Gabrielo Asante" men's shoes that are made in Italy and look very high quality, they seem better then the pairs of Allen Edmonds I've picked up, however I can't seem to find anything on the brand. Anyone hear of them before?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.