• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's one of my favorite "recent" finds. I found this back in April, but am still working through my backlog caused by the basement flooding we had in May. Anyway, this is a Fall 1996 Patagonia Activist Fleece pullover (Style #25832). This was Patagonia's performance fleece before the Regulator series came out two years later. It's basically a stretch Synchilla fabric. This might end up being a keeper, as it does fit pretty well. The condition is amazing for a 22 year old jacket.

View attachment 1042660
Sigh... That would have actually fit me when it was brand new. :(

DeoreDX

Reaction score
I'm a long time lurker who will search the forums looking for ideas on what to match my sport coats and suit separates with. I figured if there was ever a group of people who would appreciate my bargain store find it would be you guys so I signed up just to post my story.

We have Dirt Cheap store here which sells salvage items and store returns that are not sellable. Lots of damaged box furniture, toys that don't work. etc. Racks of really horrible clothes in size xs or 3xl that never sell in stores. The son and I walk in to kill some time as my wife gets her hair cut nearby. A sport coat on the rack caught my eye in the middle of all of the old NASCR shirts and Target brand clothing that never sold. I grab it off the rack and I'm immediatly impresssed with the feel of the materials. I thought it was going to be linen but it was much softer than I expected. Says made in Italy and I can't decypher the material content. 70% ws? 20% lino? 10% Seta? I've never heard of the brand. I can't google it because I get no cell reception in the store. I check the price. $12. Size 50. I'm a dumb american I don't know Euro sizing but I try it on and I love the way it drapes. It's a hair long in the sleeves. Wish it has a little more taper through the sleeves as well. I'm really digging this coat so I walk around the store wearing this coat until my wife finishes and comes in the store and I ask her for her opinion.

"You're too much of a snob to ever wear a jacket from Dirt Cheap but it looks good" was her answer. I decide to buy it with the rational that Ive been wanting to try my hand at shortening a sport coat sleeve since I almost always have to get them shortened if I get a suit/sport coat/blazer off the rack. After googling the brand I've decided to get it professionally altered instead. Brand new with tags. $13.08 after tax.

44188881194_315c0f98d8_c.jpg

43096688480_e9c9e3b9fc_c.jpg

43096689470_25e18e6f90_c.jpg

44858844242_beddb00574_c.jpg

31036009698_7da06c11a2_c.jpg

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm a long time lurker who will search the forums looking for ideas on what to match my sport coats and suit separates with. I figured if there was ever a group of people who would appreciate my bargain store find it would be you guys so I signed up just to post my story.

We have Dirt Cheap store here which sells salvage items and store returns that are not sellable. Lots of damaged box furniture, toys that don't work. etc. Racks of really horrible clothes in size xs or 3xl that never sell in stores. The son and I walk in to kill some time as my wife gets her hair cut nearby. A sport coat on the rack caught my eye in the middle of all of the old NASCR shirts and Target brand clothing that never sold. I grab it off the rack and I'm immediatly impresssed with the feel of the materials. I thought it was going to be linen but it was much softer than I expected. Says made in Italy and I can't decypher the material content. 70% ws? 20% lino? 10% Seta? I've never heard of the brand. I can't google it because I get no cell reception in the store. I check the price. $12. Size 50. I'm a dumb american I don't know Euro sizing but I try it on and I love the way it drapes. It's a hair long in the sleeves. Wish it has a little more taper through the sleeves as well. I'm really digging this coat so I walk around the store wearing this coat until my wife finishes and comes in the store and I ask her for her opinion.

"You're too much of a snob to ever wear a jacket from Dirt Cheap but it looks good" was her answer. I decide to buy it with the rational that Ive been wanting to try my hand at shortening a sport coat sleeve since I almost always have to get them shortened if I get a suit/sport coat/blazer off the rack. After googling the brand I've decided to get it professionally altered instead. Brand new with tags. $13.08 after tax.

Very solid find. IF you decide to pass on it/aren’t bothered for alterations I’ll take it off your hands mate.

flipstah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
WAIT!! Do NOT use soap on waxed cotton. You’ll remove the wax and you’ll never be able to fix it.

Use the spray vodka method and leave outside (not in the sun) you’ll cause sun damage.

Flippy you noob.
He said the inside. That's not waxed

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

capnwes

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Nice! BTW, it's 70% Cashmere, 20% Linen, 10% Silk = 100% Awesome!

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing find!

If that’s not enough to lure you into the thrift life then nothing will.

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jesus. I've been doing this for 5+ years. A few of those years were basically full time and I have NEVER found Kiton. Not in Wichita, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Mississippi Gulf Coast, Houston, Dallas, Topeka, Springfield MO, or Oklahoma City. NEVER. NNNNNEEEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRR

parker_posey_omg.gif

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Jesus. I've been doing this for 5+ years. A few of those years were basically full time and I have NEVER found Kiton. Not in Wichita, Kansas City, St. Louis, Memphis, Mississippi Gulf Coast, Houston, Dallas, Topeka, Springfield MO, or Oklahoma City. NEVER. NNNNNEEEEEVVVVVEEEEERRRRR

View attachment 1042785
I found two cashmere Kitons in Siloam Springs, Missouri. Never heard of it? No one fuckin has, not even the handful of people that live there. so anything is possible my friend. It will happen

Nobleprofessor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found two cashmere Kitons in Siloam Springs, Missouri. Never heard of it? No one fuckin has, not even the handful of people that live there. so anything is possible my friend. It will happen

I have heard of it, but Siloam Springs is in Arkansas. I have family nearby in the Ozarks. That is amazing that you found it there, because that part of Arkansas is like a time warp.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 31 11.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads