• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think we are in the golden age of CD thrifting? Typically $0.50 a pop and the shelves are constantly loaded.

I just now realized this Billy Joel pick up only has one of the 2 CDs present. Thank goodness it's Disc One!

PXL_20230707_163503807.jpg
PXL_20230707_163619638.jpg

Letric

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone else think we are in the golden age of CD thrifting? Typically $0.50 a pop and the shelves are constantly loaded.

I just now realized this Billy Joel pick up only has one of the 2 CDs present. Thank goodness it's Disc One!

Yep in my experience thrifting... Whatever amasses in large quantity and can be bought cheaply... eventually becomes collected, becomes more scarce and valued.. and then it's not there anymore.

When I started thrifting I remember Nintendo 64's were pretty common to see.. You'd see maybe 1 or 2 a day at least. Now I maybe see 1 per year if that. Same with Playstation 2's.. I remember seeing STACKS of them stacked on top of eachother for $10.. GW couldn't get rid of em. Now they're scarce and sought after.

Media is going that way now - DVDs, CD's... They'll eventually become scarce and we'll barely see em. Society is shifting to a more "on demand" media consumption so hard media will become antiquated and only really for niche collectors at some point.

There's also a movement starting towards "digital hoarding" right now. As media conglomerates pressure the market and remove more and more content across the internet for "Copyright" issues that will make original authentic media more scarce and collected. That's how Viacom and others want it.

You can already experience it - Say you want to watch a movie ... You either have it on DVD, Blue Ray, etc or you don't and have to go rent it from Amazon or w/e for $3.99. OR you watch it on another paid service... That will become more and more frequent with things until "They" have secured all popular media and "We" are forced to pay out the ass for it.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yep in my experience thrifting... Whatever amasses in large quantity and can be bought cheaply... eventually becomes collected, becomes more scarce and valued.. and then it's not there anymore.

When I started thrifting I remember Nintendo 64's were pretty common to see.. You'd see maybe 1 or 2 a day at least. Now I maybe see 1 per year if that. Same with Playstation 2's.. I remember seeing STACKS of them stacked on top of eachother for $10.. GW couldn't get rid of em. Now they're scarce and sought after.

Media is going that way now - DVDs, CD's... They'll eventually become scarce and we'll barely see em. Society is shifting to a more "on demand" media consumption so hard media will become antiquated and only really for niche collectors at some point.

There's also a movement starting towards "digital hoarding" right now. As media conglomerates pressure the market and remove more and more content across the internet for "Copyright" issues that will make original authentic media more scarce and collected. That's how Viacom and others want it.

You can already experience it - Say you want to watch a movie ... You either have it on DVD, Blue Ray, etc or you don't and have to go rent it from Amazon or w/e for $3.99. OR you watch it on another paid service... That will become more and more frequent with things until "They" have secured all popular media and "We" are forced to pay out the ass for it.
PS2 is bringing money now?? Wow, times they are a changing...

Centaurus3200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any tips for removing stains from an Hermes tie?
honestly, just start with a clean wash cloth and cold water. gently wipe. you'd be suprised how effective. i think because silk fibers are rather slippery? so, i've clean many a tie stain with just cold water and a clean wash cloth.

wumpyfish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the stain, however, I bought a stained Hermes(Le Carnaval de Venise) scarf on eBay solely based on price hoping I couldn't get the stains out so I cut and sew it into a pocket square I wanted to make. Tried the method below exactly except use baby shampoo and it worked! No square but future gift for ms. fish

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Same one I have! Early to mid 60s based on the yellow stitching. Mine is a late 60s version (orange stitching). Nice find!

the rivet stamps are a factory id .

you don't see the 3 digit numbers until the late 60s afaik plus i've never heard of a *347* stamp , most start with 5** .

JohnAAG

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the rivet stamps are a factory id .

you don't see the 3 digit numbers until the late 60s afaik plus i've never heard of a *347* stamp , most start with 5** .
I don't know about the 347, but the combo of the yellow thread and the smaller label at the neck makes me think it couldn't be older than 68.

@Juntao90 Heddels has a good starter guide on how to date the jackets.

But I think you nailed it with that ebay one. I looked it up and it also has the smaller neck label with only the "Size" marking in red.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Skeem1