• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Louis Vuitton tie less than a week ago that I didn't realize was embarrassingly fake until I got home. To be fair, it was in a new bin with limited edition Sulka, Canali, Hermes, etc so I just assumed it was real. But yeah...still buying stupid stuff after all these years. :/
Hey, I can send you a real LV tie?
:hide:

Spruce Moose

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, I've got a wedding to attend at the beginning of October in Missoula, Montana. My wife and I decided we want to wear fancy western getups. Anybody have a nice western style suit in a 38-40 lying around by chance? Also, any fancy women's western gear in a small or size 0-2? Thanks in advance. :cheers:

IMG_6448.PNG

Redsoxfan1104

Reaction score
A couple weeks ago I was in Nordstrom rack and I passed up on what I just recently found out were two quidinci ties for around $40 each....... just looked at what they were going for on eBay and I'm currently kicking myself

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a Louis Vuitton tie less than a week ago that I didn't realize was embarrassingly fake until I got home. To be fair, it was in a new bin with limited edition Sulka, Canali, Hermes, etc so I just assumed it was real. But yeah...still buying stupid stuff after all these years. :/
I posted some seriously fake Zegna ties a few months ago. I just assumed they were older. :facepalm: So yeah, same here.

Getting warmer.......

Purplelabel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dadjeans

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
FIVE quindicis???
Yeah, that makes settantacinque :rimshot:
I miss sleep.
It will get better, eventually.

Also, shoutout to @Denton for a screaming deal to add to my growing empire of Sid Mashburn trousers!

And a little e-thrift to get back on-topic:
Dior Homme SS02 "Boys Don't Cry" / "Red" collection. Hedi Slimane era. Made from some weird thick glossy black cotton.
$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Extra R

Reaction score
I've been a lurker here for a while and have started to do some thrifting, mostly just for personal use. How did you guys learn to tell fake from legit articles? Did you just post pictures to get others' opinions? Are there certain signs to look for across brands?

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Greetings new guys and welcome to the thrifting thread. Best advice for newcomers is to read this thread (and the one before it,) from end to end paying attention to details when pics are presented. We understand that this could take weeks if not longer but it truly is the best way to learn and most of us have done it.

Styleforum does have a thread just for authentication found here:

https://www.styleforum.net/threads/fake-or-real-authentic-genuine-etc-official-authentication-thread.231002/page-156#post-8908013

But the guys here are open to some authentication questions here and there as long as they are not excessive and you could not find the answer in a 10 second google search.

My experience has been that most of the higher level menswear brands are faked seldom, if at all. Kiton, Oxxford, Canali, Loro Piana, Cucinelli (beware Brioni Bangkok,) I have never seen a fake so don’t be so worried about each and every item you find thrifting, they will most likely be real (As stated above over time the quality of the items will start to speak to you a little.) Having said that, the more fashionable brands like Hermes, Gucci, Burberry, Montcler or similar are often faked and some of the fakes are pretty solid. (In particular stay away from women’s handbags or other accessories if you don’t yet know what you are doing.) There are quite a few things online (including EBAY) helping you out with some of these harder ones.

Most important thing is to understand that all of us have made mistakes before. You often need to make a quick decision whether to buy or not buy something which will most likely not be there the next time you go back if it is real and can often sell for many times what you would pay. Assuming thrift prices are reasonable in your area, it is a great learning experience to waste $20 one time on a fake Burberry trench but learn from that experience for the next time.

Good luck.

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads