• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Octoberfest in Munchen.

Oktoberfest is over...

I lean towards outdoorsy pursuits. My favorite fall places would be Yosemite, Banff, Rocky Mountain National Park, Black Hills of South Dakota.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i don't think it's a short i as in EYE.

i've always assumed more like "ICK"

so i've been saying vick-OON-ya

to my ear VAI-****-YA sounds gringo, like saying EYE-talian.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly as is spelled
Slightly more than that. You have to remember the enye at the end.

vicuña: vi-****-ya
Wrong.
It's VICUN-YA
Sorry you beat me to it.
Winny loses...again.

Pretty positive that the clip I posted earlier, homie has it dead to rights, on the dot. Fairly sure this is a truly logical conclusion also, because in the 50s, It was simply viewed as more rare, and demand was a result of this as well as a more exclusive nature to it (due entirely to economics of the industry, nothing else). No protection or regulation, consistently stock in the cooler months, of 100% fabric content coats. Business logistics regarding costs, sourcing, milling, etc... was the reason behind the cost. The animal and its by-products were thoroughly discussed consistently and daily by nearly all working in retail, in no way viewed as some mythical type creature, highly documented and detailed breed, basic knowledge of anyone working with it, and certainly without question, known across the board, how to pronounce the animals name 100% correctly and done so by everyone who ever needed to say the word professionally and/or socially....I mean more or less on par with someone who simply does not know the correct way to pronounce Cashmere today, it simply doesn't exist because it can't.

0.jpg

Last edited:

Hoofit

Reaction score

I believe that the walnut ones are Strands as well. AE offered a toe-medallion delete under their MTO program.

I have this same model. I believe it was an option that Nordstrom put together many years ago. It did not have a name but is sometimes referred to as the old Clifford.

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pretty positive that the clip I posted earlier, homie has it dead to rights, on the dot. Fairly sure this is a truly logical conclusion also, because in the 50s, It was simply viewed as more rare, and demand was a result of this as well as a more exclusive nature to it (due entirely to economics of the industry, nothing else). No protection or regulation, consistently stock in the cooler months, of 100% fabric content coats. Business logistics regarding costs, sourcing, milling, etc... was the reason behind the cost. The animal and its by-products were thoroughly discussed consistently and daily by nearly all working in retail, in no way viewed as some mythical type creature, highly documented and detailed breed, basic knowledge of anyone working with it, and certainly without question, known across the board, how to pronounce the animals name 100% correctly and done so by everyone who ever needed to say the word professionally and/or socially....I mean more or less on par with someone who simply does not know the correct way to pronounce Cashmere today, it simply doesn't exist because it can't.

0.jpg
Nah. The way the guy is saying it in that clip is basically the equivalent of saying 'chipolte'. The word vicuna is Spanish and the enye is the only letter effected with the 'y' affectation. douple00 is right about the 'ick' though. There are phonetic pronunciations on every dictionary site.

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Picked up a few pair of shoes tonight. I haven't had much time to thrift lately but it amazes me what I'm still able to find at 8 or 9pm. Makes me wonder what I missed out on during the day, haha.

Couple pair of AE. Strand and not sure on the lighter colored (walnut?) model's name. Googled and even looked through the AE appreciation thread and didn't find it yet. Anyone know off hand? They appear new but with something spilled on them, hoping to learn how to save them but am assuming it involves just darkening them. Vibram heels and soles.
Also these anonymous woven penny loafers. Seem decently made, but only markings visible don't help me out much. Will be researching more tomorrow to identify both pairs.

I have this same model. I believe it was an option that Nordstrom put together many years ago. It did not have a name but is sometimes referred to as the old Clifford.

The Clifford is a blucher. Was the old version a balmoral?
For the record, I had to speak with AE customer service today about an unrelated subject and brought up the mystery shoes. Style #1044 was a prototype. It is the AE Lancashire in walnut calf. They made very few of them and were never mass released. Your shoes are likely corporate samples.

Last edited:

Jompso

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nah. The way the guy is saying it in that clip is basically the equivalent of saying 'chipolte'. The word vicuna is Spanish and the enye is the only letter effected with the 'y' affectation. douple00 is right about the 'ick' though. There are phonetic pronunciations on every dictionary site.
Chalk that fail up to pure hubris and total lack of effort. Supported by what I found to be more or less bullet proof logic. Yet, simply factoring obvious outside variables such as ******* 1950S AMERICA or simply a minimal effort of double checking to see if the first source was even right......perhaps my results differ.... or they don't, ******* Tomato, Potato, Vicuna, Silk, Baby Seal Fur....As a blatantly obnoxious deterrent, I'll simply swerve back to my point from my original statement and hammer that ****** home harder.....That of course being, if your Vicuna tag reps <10% Vicuna, you have no ******* Vicuna....#math.

Chotii

Reaction score
Here is the haul from yesterday; it's a mix of men's and women's (because I primarily focus on women's clothes) but there are some fabs in here:

Garnet Hill cowlneck cableknit dress:

Ann Taylor mohair blend cardigan, NWT

Wallace & Barnes men's wool sweater with denim detailing:

Oleana (cha-ching!) silk & wool blend cardigan:

Ann Taylor wool cowlneck tunic with 3/4 length sleeves:

Laura Ashley Scandinavian style wool cardigan:

Burberry men's navy wool sweater with leather shoulder & elbow patches:

Gaeltarra Aran cardigan:

Pendleton High Grade Western Wear Indian Blanket bathrobe:

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
Saw a likely flipper in my neck of the woods. Kopped some stuff that I always pass on (Eton shirt, middle-tier jeans).

Very skinny guy about 5'10". Young. One of you?

Also - Balmain dress shoes. Kind of ugly, cannot find anything remotely like them online. Black, kind of pointy lace ups. Fairly benign looking. Mainline Balmain. Worth a kop?

Last edited:

carreragt7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For the record, I had to speak with AE customer service today about an unrelated subject and brought up the mystery shoes. Style #1044 was a prototype. It is the AE Lancashire in walnut calf. They made very few of them and were never mass released. Your shoes are likely corporate samples.

Very informative! Thank you for that! I like the shoes a lot and they happen to be my size. Now to figure out if there is any way to salvage the color or if I'm stuck darkening them. I'm not even a novice when it comes to dress shoe care so more researching is needed. I know there is a vast amount of threads on such topics so will be fun reading.

The woven pair seem similar to Bragano by Cole Haan but are lacking the proper labeling and would still have signs of the label, so who knows. They fit as well so won't worry too much. Good beaters.

Thanks again for insight! This community is awesome.

sarteaga

Reaction score
^try stripping the color off the shoe using Saphir Renomat. You may be able to lighten it up enough that you can just go over it with some walnut polish or brown polish and blend it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members