• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

David P70

Reaction score

@David P70 Me too... I throw a bunch of stuff in my cart as I go, if it feels good or looks interesting. Then my daughter and I camp at the back of the store, inspect them, and search brands and items on eBay etc. About 33‰ still don't make one of the cuts. Still have problems with the Italian Z names... Zanella, zanieri, zileri... I used to just grab them all. And each time I'm out I learn more than one new brand or thing. Never found a boglioli yet...

Yeah, the Zs get me too. I also get thrown by almost any Italian sounding name and think "I'm pretty sure they were talking about this guy on SF".

I do the same thing as far as stockpiling and searching at the end. We don't have carts here so I just start piling stuff in a corner but I have to watch it like a hawk. At least 2 times a day I have to walk up to somebody digging though my pile and say "I'm sorry if my stuff is in your way. It's just too much to carry around. Do you want me to move it?" I act very apologetic so they don't have any reason to get defensive. So far everybody has been cool about it. I do get quite a few dirty looks when I go through the pile checking each piece on my phone though.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing as far as stockpiling and searching at the end. We don't have carts here so I just start piling stuff in a corner but I have to watch it like a hawk. At least 2 times a day I have to walk up to somebody digging though my pile and say "I'm sorry if my stuff is in your way. It's just too much to carry around. Do you want me to move it?" I act very apologetic so they don't have any reason to get defensive. So far everybody has been cool about it. I do get quite a few dirty looks when I go through the pile checking each piece on my phone though.

confused.gif

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i dunno, everybody does things differently... i mean if you had a cart what would be the difference really? on the other hand, i'm not really a fan of fronting at a thrift store.

i think once you get going it won't matter. you'll know what to grab to your ends. there'll always be questions but i'm sure you won't need to cast your net so wide after awhile.

in any case if i explained my method people here would think i'm insane lol. and fwiw i don't really think there is a difference between thrift etiquette and regular etiquette.

Last edited:

David P70

Reaction score

i dunno, everybody does things differently... i mean if you had a cart what would be the difference really? on the other hand, i'm not really a fan of fronting at a thrift store. 

i think once you get going it won't matter. you'll know what to grab to your ends. there'll always be questions but i'm sure you won't need to cast your net so wide after awhile. 

in any case if i explained my method people here would think i'm insane lol. and fwiw i don't really think there is a difference between thrift etiquette and regular etiquette. 

I'm not certain if you and I use "fronting" in the same way. Do you mean getting in people's faces or challenging them? I definitely don't do that at all. I'm an old-ish, broken-ish soldier and would be embarrassed for myself if I got in a row at thrift shop over clothes. When I said I was apologetic when protecting my stash I meant it. In going to protect it but not in a way that challenges or humiliates somebody else. But I might be running off tangentially if you meant something else by "fronting".

Of course, now you have to reveal your method with a lead in like that ;)

Edit: That's supposed to be a wink to imply tongue-in-cheek but on my phone it's the confused emoji. Just wanted to be clear.

Last edited:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I meant something else, not hostility or anything like that at all. Its just the claim pile.

I dont mean to make it a thing. Its a free world.

Lol and as far as my approach I plead the fifth.

David P70

Reaction score
Not a thing at all. I'm new to all this and if I need a course correction then I'm all ears. Don't want to be the asshole at the table.

What would you take in trade to reveal your methods? Lol

drlivingston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't want to be the asshole at the table.
We have all played that role at some point. It's indicative of the beginning cycles of forum evolution. It's difficult to overcome lurker withdrawals. You will eventually move on to being the resident "Is this a thing?" guy. Don't worry about it. It's all part of the natural progression. At this point, you have to develop the proper thrifting attitude. Leave your home with a plan and a desire to succeed! What works for you in the stores is a very personal decision. Some people here are fans of shopping carts, while others believe them to be a total nuisance. Never apologize for your methods. Keep hitting the stores and learning new ****. You will be posting stuff in the cheapies thread before you know it. Cheers!

Last edited:

thebuddahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just wait until the thrift superstitions kick in @David P70! We've got all the crazies in here - people who mutter the words 'Tom Ford' as they enter a store, to the ones like me who HAVE to pick up stuff I accidentally knock off the hangers.

Last edited:

mrcmcklwht

Reaction score
Our legacy, Silent by Damir Doma very lightweight drop crotch cotton pants and LVC 505 67 big E selvedge, worn once or twice

Tretorn and Uniqlo trench

Woofa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dirt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just wait until the thrift superstitions kick in @David P70! We've got all the crazies in here - people who mutter the words 'Tom Ford' as they enter a store, to the ones like me who HAVE to pick up stuff I accidentally knock off the hangers.

Is this a superstition?? I do this but just because my momma raised me right (for the most part). However, if the store uses those clip type hangers and one clip is still desperately hanging onto the item as it dangles, that **** is getting sandwiched between the other items on the rack with a quickness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads