• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fueco

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Right, I'm just having a hard time imagining that guy in camo pants loving the early 70s tigerstripe but reacting in disgust to the slightly-different-shade-of-green 80s camo.

The streetwear connoisseurs, sure, and the military collector guys, but seems like the thrift finds above should have a market with the average vintage-interested guy.

The difference between a 60s suit and an 80s coat is even more subtle, and yet no one bats an eye that the 80s stuff is worthless. Why should camo be any different?

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nothin wrong with a little shell and selvedge

Nataku

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Right, I'm just having a hard time imagining that guy in camo pants loving the early 70s tigerstripe but reacting in disgust to the slightly-different-shade-of-green 80s camo.

The streetwear connoisseurs, sure, and the military collector guys, but seems like the thrift finds above should have a market with the average vintage-interested guy.

I've tried selling the later-issue dark green tiger stripe and flopped. The only guys really looking for that stuff are guys into paintball or like tiger stripe camo but want em cheap.

The difference between a 60s suit and an 80s coat is even more subtle, and yet no one bats an eye that the 80s stuff is worthless. Why should camo be any different?

+1. It's all about desirability. The original stuff brings in the big $$. The repro/later issue stuff just doesn't have the people willing to pay big bucks to drive the prices up. The later issue stuff is also way more common than the original stuff so there's more to go around.

I'm sure quality is a factor too. The original stuff was made from better fabrics and better attention to detail. The latter stuff went downhill quality-wise. Like comparing a current issue camo jacket to one from Vietnam. Today's fabrics feel cheap, stiff and cardboard-y. They are often times mixed with polyester.

Last edited:

My Main Man

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Catching up on a little backlog. All available for now.

Orphan, right? Grabbed it because it was cheap, thinking I'd keep checking back for the pants. Went back 4-5 times in the next two weeks and never found them, so I decided to just list the jacket. Noticed it was 100% silk when taking pictures and tried convincing myself it was a sport coat. After about 7 seconds, I talked myself back into it being an orphan and then REALLY wish I had found the pants. 52, but fits like a 39-40L

Yohji I assume orphan? Then again, it's Yohji so maybe it's a SC.

I think this is a 38R - 32W

42R 36W

the2ndhandman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never had the guts to roll with a dress shoe and selvedge. It's always been boots or chukkas or its a no go with me Just feels weird like everyone is staring at my socks. Maybe with selvedge chinos but not denim. Is that weird? I have a pair of shell Crockett and Jones for ralph loafers I've had for years ive never worn thdm cause I feel stupid in loafers and so they sit unused. I gotta get over that crap or get rid of it geez.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's worth more because you're buying the story, not just the design or quality or whatever (as always with all fashion).

Something made in the 90s doesn't have the same story as a garment from the 60s that probably saw action in Vietnam.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never had the guts to roll with a dress shoe and selvedge. It's always been boots or chukkas or its a no go with me

Your instincts are right IMHO. Sneakers or rougher boots or the like with denim. Dress shoes always look incongruous, even the most "casual"/country design. Save the wingtips and stuff for wool trousers.

Last edited:

kbadgley84

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've never had the guts to roll with a dress shoe and selvedge. It's always been boots or chukkas or its a no go with me Just feels weird like everyone is staring at my socks. Maybe with selvedge chinos but not denim. Is that weird? I have a pair of shell Crockett and Jones for ralph loafers I've had for years ive never worn thdm cause I feel stupid in loafers and so they sit unused. I gotta get over that crap or get rid of it geez.

Went with them still sittin on the shoe
Unused shell?
Wha size?

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Catching up on a little backlog. All available for now.

Orphan, right? Grabbed it because it was cheap, thinking I'd keep checking back for the pants. Went back 4-5 times in the next two weeks and never found them, so I decided to just list the jacket. Noticed it was 100% silk when taking pictures and tried convincing myself it was a sport coat. After about 7 seconds, I talked myself back into it being an orphan and then REALLY wish I had found the pants. 52, but fits like a 39-40L

so you think there is a pair of soie slacks out there? i dunno, i'd say sc on the dior. $.02

love that flax windowpane. polo ii is my fave.

really? if i had to have just one pair of shoes i'd choose shell loafers. and no socks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ocutene