• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about renting a place in Telluride for 2-3 weeks and driving up (thinking December 26 to January 9 - unfortunately, early season, but I am optimistic for good snow fall this year). Seems like I can rent a 2 bedroom condo in-town for a semi-reasonable price. Honestly though, I'm increasingly worried about a straight-up closure of the mountain.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, first update on the new skis:

1597438625818.png

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I'm thinking about renting a place in Telluride for 2-3 weeks and driving up (thinking December 26 to January 9 - unfortunately, early season, but I am optimistic for good snow fall this year). Seems like I can rent a 2 bedroom condo in-town for a semi-reasonable price. Honestly though, I'm increasingly worried about a straight-up closure of the mountain.

I’m not doing a seasonal rental, but I’m going to book several week long stints in Tahoe during the winter. They have a 30 day cancellation policy and I may buy trip cancellation insurance.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not doing a seasonal rental, but I’m going to book several week long stints in Tahoe during the winter. They have a 30 day cancellation policy and I may buy trip cancellation insurance.
One of the great things since I'm retired is deciding to ski Monday on Sunday night. This winter is going to be weird

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm kind of confused :\
Yeah me too but since I'm retired the days I ski are usually a ghost town anyway so I'll throw out the $400 for a season at 3 Tahoe mountains.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I confirmed that I am going to Telluride from December 26 through January 6, and then Beaver Creek from January 6 through the 9. The Epic Pass makes sense for me... but I am still confused.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I confirmed that I am going to Telluride from December 26 through January 6, and then Beaver Creek from January 6 through the 9. The Epic Pass makes sense for me... but I am still confused.
Yeah I don't know those times are crazy in Tahoe normally. I haven't skied during that period in 20 years

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, I know. I'm not excited about skiing during that period. But this is what makes sense from a work/time off perspective. Telluride is usually pretty empty - and with reservations, I think it will be OK.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Make sure everything you book is refundable...I can easily see busy holiday travel suddenly getting everything shut down for a while.

We'll see what Ikon does--that was originally my plan but everything is too uncertain. Even if I can get days blocked off, am I going to feel comfortable getting on a plane?

Was hoping to do a Steep & Deep at Jackson Hole this winter (even though it is now an upcharge on top of the base Ikon), but it is a tough commitment.
On the other hand, assuming I am still working remotely, road tripping out west and spending a chunk of time skiing is a possibility...too bad I don't own a heated camper van!

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ha, I know. I'm not excited about skiing during that period. But this is what makes sense from a work/time off perspective. Telluride is usually pretty empty - and with reservations, I think it will be OK.
I don't "know" but my guess is you'll be fine. Planning anything in the mountains in the winter more than 7 days in advance is rolling dice. I'm old and grumpy and I have learned that some conditions just aren't that much fun.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@otc - yeah, we are doing an airbnb for our time in Telluride and then we are spending a few days at the Ritz Carlton in Bachelor Gulch (guess whose idea that was...).

So far, I've negotiated a 7-day, full-refund termination policy in connection with my accommodations. And we are driving, so all good there.

@Numbernine - I'm young and am happy with what I can get. Sometimes you get great conditions, sometimes you get boned. But for me, it is just a pleasure being in the mountain air. I hope that good terrain is open, but I have long-since stopped caring for "ideal" conditions. When you have to travel 1200 miles to get to a mountain you cannot be too choosy.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@otc - yeah, we are doing an airbnb for our time in Telluride and then we are spending a few days at the Ritz Carlton in Bachelor Gulch (guess whose idea that was...).

So far, I've negotiated a 7-day, full-refund termination policy in connection with my accommodations. And we are driving, so all good there.

@Numbernine - I'm young and am happy with what I can get. Sometimes you get great conditions, sometimes you get boned. But for me, it is just a pleasure being in the mountain air. I hope that good terrain is open, but I have long-since stopped caring for "ideal" conditions. When you have to travel 1200 miles to get to a mountain you cannot be too choosy.
It does make you better skier imo. I have a friend who goes to the steepest inbounds stuff and skis icy moguls without poles just to remind himself where the body mass belongs

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I don't "know" but my guess is you'll be fine. Planning anything in the mountains in the winter more than 7 days in advance is rolling dice. I'm old and grumpy and I have learned that some conditions just aren't that much fun.

Bite your tongue! There's no such thing as a bad day on snow!

But rain can make it a close call.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics