• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Passus Shoes. Passus shoes was founded by long term members of the forum and veterans of the shoes business. and is dedicated to crafting fine shoes in Budapest in a time honored tradition. Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new affiliate vendor thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official Skiing / Snowboarding / Playing in the Snow Thread

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Mount Bohemia says they are going to keep spinning 1 chair and close all of the pools, bars, food, and shuttle bus.

1584384486057.png

Thinking about renting an SUV, driving up friday afternoon, sleeping in the car (sheet of home depot pink foam insulation in the back plus camping pad, down bag, and down comforter...) and skiing for a day or two without ever having to get within 3 feet of another person.

Only thing putting a damper on that is that my fiance doesn't think that sounds very fun and doesn't really want to be left alone. Also, REI is closed and I don't know that I have enough fuel canisters if my water freezes and I have to melt...I guess I could find a Walmart on the way, they'll still be open and I think they carry them.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Tahoe locals are imploring people to stay away. The storm brought out the locusts on Friday night who cleared out the supermarkets (and potentially spread virus everywhere). As of yesterday a ton of people were laid off and told to go home and self-isolate, but there's nothing left to buy.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, I am seeing similar discussion regarding Moab from climbers. It is Indian Creek season and I think a lot of people (especially college students with nothing to do) see it as a great chance to climb.

But I think you have to be real cognizant of what that means. Are you going full on #vanlife or camping in dispersed sites with provisions you've packed in? Climbing at remote crags? That's probably OK.

Are you trying to stay somewhere local or in a developed campground? buy a bunch of the easy to prepare/no preparation food from small local stores? climb the busy/accessible crags? Maybe you should just stay home.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Update on Mount Bohemia....they are still open (no shuttle bus, no rentals, no restaurant/bar, just the 1 frontside lift), they have empty cabins, and the fiance wants to escape to the middle of nowhere.
Plan would be to bring our own food, stop for nothing besides gas and 99% avoid other humans (there will still be a lift operator, and probably 30 people on the mountain, but I'd never need to share a chair).

...but I'm not ready to drive 8-hours each way and pay $415+gas to ski 2 days on limited end of season terrain.

Technically they are still offering take-out food (although I'd refuse it just to avoid the contact) and they aren't trying to encourage people to come, so the current pricing on the cabins is for the "spring break special" that includes 2x meals per person and lift tickets...but if she's not going to ski and we're not going to eat the food so it is kind of a raw deal. I'm pretty sure this is a "rich owner's pet project" story so its not like I feel compelled to toss them some money.

Normally it is great deal if you can put 4 people in a cabin--comes to $75 a day for lift ticket, lodging and food!

I still have a few hours to make up my mind...cut the drive in half and I'd be there, but it is looking like a no.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Weird that increasingly large areas of the country are in lockdown and other areas are pretty blasé about it.

You’d still have to be in contact with people at various points (gas, check in, etc). Why take the risk that one of them is a superspreader (it could even be you)?

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Eh, my recollection is that check in is basically them emailing you the code for the cabin door. Cabin is bring your own linens and will be closed for the year after this weekend.

I'd have to use the credit card reader and nozzle at a gas station, and I would wipe everything down as much as I wiped down everything when I voted on tuesday (fortunately my fiance has a background in global public health and freaked out early, so I got wipes before they vanished). I wouldn't go if I didn't think I could keep myself isolated.

The only person I'd have to come within 6 feet of might be to claim my lift ticket, although since it would already have been paid for, they could just throw it at me (or just say to go without it since there are only going to be a few people on the hill, almost all local passholders since you can't even rent). That'd be less contact than I'm going to have to have in the next few days when I need to go grocery shopping.

Not trying to be blase about it at all--I think the extreme lockdowns are resulting from the fact that people have shown that they are unwilling to take those sorts of precautions. My fiance is one of those people you read articles about who is struggling to get her retired mom to stop socializing (and she's a former nurse, not some fox-news watching non-believer). The news that cities might ticket you if you are spotted within 6 feet of another person is what it takes to convince people to stop.

That said...I'm not going.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
1585153570499.png

yes yes, this is apparently an old photo from a road that is closed to trucks for the winter (coming down mt. st. Helens, so nowhere for a truck to even accidentally get on)...and they are sledding not skiing...but don't let facts ruin a good joke

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How do you feel about spending money on non-essential goods during the Covid-19 crisis?

• I don't want to spend money at a time of economic uncertainty, even if I could afford it.

• I feel compelled to spend to help small businesses that are struggling.

• I reduced my budget for non-essential goods and I'm not spending at the moment.

• Not much has changed for me and I'm still buying stuff I can't afford.

Results are only viewable after voting.