• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JE_FR88

Reaction score
Hello and welcome! Brushing is really important. Give your shoes a good brushing before you go and out when you come back. I like it that you don't use loads of product, loads of times. I hope you enjoy your shoes! Yours sincerely, Munky

Hi Munky, thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it!

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Munky, thank you so much for your advice, I appreciate it!

If you're already using Saphir sparingly, why do you want to use it even more sparingly? Renovateur does have wax in it so it'll come up to (some) shine. If you're after a matte finish, you can try Bick 4, as it doesn't have any wax. I use it for shoes or other leather goods that don't need any additional shine, although I believe the Saphir to be a superior product. If you don't mind the shine, and don't use it all that much, I think you should stick to reno. Another popular nourishing option is Venetian Shoe Cream, without getting into some of the heavier waxes like obenaufs.

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello.

Can anyone suggest a brand/color of leather dye that would closely match Allen Edmonds dark chili?

Thanks

I've had great luck with feibings for both smooth calf and suede. The colors in the chart are pretty true in my experience though please consider that you can only really dye the leather a darker shade, it doesn't work if you choose a lighter hue

fiebing-leather-dye-color-chart.jpg

ccpl14

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had great luck with feibings for both smooth calf and suede. The colors in the chart are pretty true in my experience though please consider that you can only really dye the leather a darker shade, it doesn't work if you choose a lighter hue

View attachment 1057670
Thanks. I’m assuming at alcohol based is the way to go for smooth calf? Any advantage to using the Pro dye over the standard?

JE_FR88

Reaction score
If you're already using Saphir sparingly, why do you want to use it even more sparingly? Renovateur does have wax in it so it'll come up to (some) shine. If you're after a matte finish, you can try Bick 4, as it doesn't have any wax. I use it for shoes or other leather goods that don't need any additional shine, although I believe the Saphir to be a superior product. If you don't mind the shine, and don't use it all that much, I think you should stick to reno. Another popular nourishing option is Venetian Shoe Cream, without getting into some of the heavier waxes like obenaufs.

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I am using the reno sparingly, but I think that when more polish is needed, a conditioner beforehand is a good idea, no? And seen as too much mink oil and too many waxes in a conditioner are not desirable on a regular basis, I was thinking that the Bick 4 would be more suitable.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I am using the reno sparingly, but I think that when more polish is needed, a conditioner beforehand is a good idea, no? And seen as too much mink oil and too many waxes in a conditioner are not desirable on a regular basis, I was thinking that the Bick 4 would be more suitable.

With shoes, as in life, keep it simple. I know I go on about this but it is important. Brush, occasional cream (and wax, if you want a higher shine; I leave it at cream). Brush some more. Keep up a simple routine and don't rush to apply complicated conditioners unless you shoes really need them. My guess is that they won't. Yours, as ever, Munky.

MrUnderwood

Reaction score
This is a bit tricky as the usual care methods don't really apply to suede. What kind of damage is it? If its minor nicks and scuffs, a suede eraser followed by some brushing (with a suede brush) should get it out. For tougher dirt (usually happens if u get the shoe wet, then dirty) you will likely need to use a suede cleaner/saddle soap. Brass bristles are good for loosening up dirt that has gone further into the nap before any deep cleaning.

If its actual damage to the nap then i'm afraid you'll likely have to rely on a coloured spray to "mask" the damage, in which case darkening the shoe via a slightly darker shade wouldn't really be a concern.

Late reply, but thank you for taken the time Sehn82 :)

Lets avoid the question of what kind of issue i would like to fix and focus on the Neutral spray - lets assume that a Saphir Renovateur Suede & Nubuck Conditioning Spray would be the best option available.

Now i would like to ask, how can a neutral spray do any recoloring? I might be incredibly dumb, but i understand how a e.g. a medium brown spray can add color to places, since it is - yes actually providing coloring. But how can a neutral spray help anything?

@Luigi_M Cheers for the recommendation for that color chart. I will order one with my next Hanger Project order.

Sehn82

Reaction score
Late reply, but thank you for taken the time Sehn82 :)

Lets avoid the question of what kind of issue i would like to fix and focus on the Neutral spray - lets assume that a Saphir Renovateur Suede & Nubuck Conditioning Spray would be the best option available.

Now i would like to ask, how can a neutral spray do any recoloring? I might be incredibly dumb, but i understand how a e.g. a medium brown spray can add color to places, since it is - yes actually providing coloring. But how can a neutral spray help anything?

@Luigi_M Cheers for the recommendation for that color chart. I will order one with my next Hanger Project order.

Neutral won't do anything colouring wise if you're looking for confirmation. That being said, renovateur spray is essentially a conditioning product and I use neutral as a personal choice since it can work on any suede or nubuck that I have regardless of colour.

Suede is a little unique in that it can pick up dirt and scruffs easier (especially when wet) On the flip side, it can also "hide" scuffs better due to the nature of it (once cleaned of course).

I haven't had the need to use any colouring product on my suedes and nubucks. Then again, I tend to not baby them as much. Just a routine cleaning regime and regular waterproofing sprays to help (I live in a tropical climate where rain is common) YMMV of course.

JE_FR88

Reaction score
Also, do you guys condition and then put cream/polish on the soles, or in the area between the upper shoe and the soles?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use any silicone free waterproofing spray, by the way? If so, which ones?

Also, do you guys condition and then put cream/polish on the soles, or in the area between the upper shoe and the soles?

I never used waterproofing spray. Anyway I know that Pure Polish (ex GlenKaren) produces a shoe cream with waterproofing properties, whose concept I find interesting, and I plan to give it a try some time ...

About soles, the common consensus is that conditioning the soles is likely to 'soften' the leather and lead to premature wear.
Once in a lifetime I spread some shoe wax on my soles, though, and then burnish them with a hot iron in order to melt the wax and have it penetrate the leather (hot means that I cannot touch it, not that it's rovent!)
I borrowed this idea from the bespoke shoemakers, but I'm not sure if I apply it correctly and haven't been experimenting for long enough, so if you decide to try, you do that at your own risk ...
While I like to experiment, anyway, I have to second @Munky's wise KISS advice!
Best wishes. Luigi.

P.S.: I own and use Bick4, and find it a really good general use conditioner.

Last edited:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. I’m assuming at alcohol based is the way to go for smooth calf? Any advantage to using the Pro dye over the standard?
Im my rare experiments, until now, I only used alcohol based dyes. I prefer to furtherly dilute them with a little pure alcohol and lay it on my shoes in several hands. I like to think I have more control on the process this way..
In Italian groceries you only find a pink tinted one, so I use the food grade alcohol that's transparent. Expensive, but a little bottle will last me a lifetime.

@MrUnderwood :cheers:

troika

Coco the Monkey
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you guys use any silicone free waterproofing spray, by the way? If so, which ones?

I use it on my suede, roughout, nubuck, canvas, and sneakers religiously, never on smooth leather though. I switch the AE spray to Tarrago Nano bc it was recommended on here. Fwiw, it's been great for me, works well.

Edit: Lololol Derek just posted about it in a different thread too

Every once in a while (maybe once a year or two) I'll put conditioner on the soles and let them dry for about a week. Whenever I condition the whole shoe, I'll do the welt and the sole sides as well. I had a couple of pairs who's soles started cracking a bit, and now I'm extra careful.

Last edited:

JE_FR88

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input! Do you guys also dip your cotton chamois in water first before polishing? Or is that nonsense? I find the Collonil shoe cream to be quite difficult to spread at times. The same goes for the Saphir samples I have received in the past.

Christian GV.

Reaction score
Thank you all for the input! Do you guys also dip your cotton chamois in water first before polishing? Or is that nonsense? I find the Collonil shoe cream to be quite difficult to spread at times. The same goes for the Saphir samples I have received in the past.

@JE_FR88 Very good questions! I usually don't dip the chamois, but shoe shining is all about personal preferences so it's not non-sense, not at all. When polishing with a wet cotton cloth, the advice is to very sparingly dab just a tiny bit of wax on the cotton cloth before applying. I've tried it much, my experience is; more water on cloth = less wax on cloth, and visa versa, try to find a balance, for an efficient and successful polish.

Using a cotton chamois with creams, in my opinion, will quickly get buttery in the touch and make it harder to spread the cream. Go one better by spreading creams with a little dauber, with the hands (example Yuya Hasegawa at 2:15) or with a sponge (example Peter Bultitude from G.G. at 10:45).

Hope this helps and that the examples can be inspirational, these guys have helped me a lot :) Happy shoe shining!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads