1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. saskatoonjay

saskatoonjay Senior Member

Your use of language made my week. Thank you.

2. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

:cheers:

Yr. Hmb. Svt.

3. mosy

mosy Distinguished Member

What do I use to clean and cover up scratches and scuffs on shiny corrected grain leather?

6A41533D-A109-4667-850F-3362C628B645.jpeg

4. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I have quite a few pairs of shoes. I follow conventional wisdom and rotate them - although quite a few are rotated more than others. Give that I am a little older than I would like to be, I don't need to worry about most of them wearing out.

As a matter of curiosity, what is likely to happen if I wore that same pair of shoes for 7 days? I would brush the pair on a daily basis, as usual. Just curious. :dozingoff:

5. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@Munky ... I guess your seven-days-worn-shoes would make the final ingredient in the Witches' cauldron :eek:

<<Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the cauldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble. ...
    >> (Macbeth, Act 4 Scene 1)

Jokes apart: I myself have been successfully wearing the same pair for several days on occasions, and they easily survived. As you often say, they are shoes! ;):D
    Yours, Luigi.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018

6. Christian GV.

Christian GV. Member

Black Vernis Rife from Saphir is made specifically for that. Great product.

If you can't get your hands on it... The easiest available solution would be Black parade gloss from Kiwi! Clean with damp cloth and apply 2 or 3 tiny layers (less is more). Brush vigorously between layers until it looks decent!

7. Munky

Thank you for that, Luigi! I once played Lady Macbeth (I went to an all boys school and someone had to do it). You are right, of course, the sky doesn't fall in nor does anyone get hurt in these shoe situations. Just brushing your shoes every time you wear them is more than about 95.37% of the population does. Yours, in shoes, Munky.

8. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

"All the perfumes of Arabia will not sweeten these little shoes." :D

9. Munky

"Brush your shoes, put on your nightgown; look not so pale."

10. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@Munky ... you won!
    My fault : quoting Shakespeare to a well educated Briton is likely to be as successful as punching Mike Tyson! :D
    Best wishes! Luigi.

11. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

How would I flatten wrinkles in a leather insole?

12. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

What do you mean by that? Do you have any pictures? And are the shoes Goodyear welted or made in another way?

I once had a cobbler replace the entire cork footbed in one of my GYW shoes that had "wrinkles" in the insoles which helped restoring the leather insole to it's original form.

13. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

Shoes are relatively new. One shoe wore differently than the other al the way at the left little toe. The leather insole there has some wrinkling which feels off to my foot when I walk. It probably happened because I walked differently while I had injured that toe. Can’t take pictures because it’s too deep in the show, but the leather there is wrinkles—not flat—and a bit softer so it shifts as I walk

14. Schweino

Schweino Senior Member

Seems not the insole itself has wrinkles but the insole liner? In that case it can easily be replaced. What make and model shoes are these?

Often you can take pretty clear pictures when sticking your phone camera upside down in the shoe and taking a picture with the flash on.

15. EZB

EZB Well-Known Member

These are Allen Edmond shoes. I couldn't get the phone all the way inside though to shoe the where it bothers me, but this picture does shoe the kind of wrinkling i mean. I am not a shoe expert. I have 5 pairs of AE shoes and take good care of them with the Kirby Allison routines. IMG_0725.jpg