• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zxyrobin

Reaction score
I wonder for new shoes that I have not worn. Should I just leave them as they are or do I still need to apply some lotion/wax to them every few months?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Originally Posted by nmprisons
I would be interested to hear why the inside of my shoes doesn't require the care I put into the outside. Why doesn't the lining require conditioning? Thanks
Who said it didn't? Any leather needs conditioning every so often. It doesn't hurt to use a light conditioner such as Lexol applied thinly on the lining and on the insole...if it is leather. You don't have to do this every day or even every week but once a month wouldn't hurt a thing. The shoemakers of yesteryear (and even some today) would impregnate the insole with tallow and lanolin prior to lasting the shoe. They kept a little pot on the hearth so that it was always liquid. This created a reservoir of conditioners in the fibers of the insole that would insure the life of the insole for longer than otherwise might be expected. Perspiration from the foot is not beneficial for the leather. It is salt water. It does not moisturize. What's more combined with body heat it creates a perfect environment for bacteria and other organisms that will attack whatever organic material they can find. When we talk about a shoe or boot being "sweat out" what we are really referring to is this deterioration. --

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This debate about conditioning the inside of your shoes is interesting. Do other people have views on it? I have just never heard of it and never thought of it, before! A fascinating topic!

Plasticman85

Reaction score
Sorry if this has already been asked but I have a pair of grenson brogues that have what can only be described as spider webbing on the upper. They are not cracks. I have some saphir renovateur and some grenson shoe cream will this help improve the look of this? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Sorry if this has already been asked but I have a pair of grenson brogues that have what can only be described as spider webbing on the upper. They are not cracks. I have some saphir renovateur and some grenson shoe cream will this help improve the look of this? Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Don't see what you are referring to. Are you referring to the wrinkles where your foot bends? That looks normal for calf shoes. Maybe you put some wax polish there? You should not put wax polish where your shoes will crease, only cream polish.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, as Churchill says, these look fine. Most shoes will get a few marks across the welt. The shoes do look a bit dry though. Plenty of brushing and occasional use of cream polish and things will be fine! Yours, Munky.

Plasticman85

Reaction score
OK thankyou guys I'll use the saphir renovateur and the cream and post an update. One more question how often should I use the renovateur and cream?

narcosis219

Reaction score

OK thankyou guys I'll use the saphir renovateur and the cream and post an update. One more question how often should I use the renovateur and cream?

Renovateur I would say every 6 months or when you feel that the leather is dry. Depends on how much you wear it.

Cream would probably be once a month or so. If you're using renovateur then the only thing the cream is doing is restoring color. So do it when you feel the color is fading.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Renovateur I would say every 6 months or when you feel that the leather is dry. Depends on how much you wear it.

Cream would probably be once a month or so. If you're using renovateur then the only thing the cream is doing is restoring color. So do it when you feel the color is fading.

That's sound advice! I do much the same.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I posted this on the Tricker's page didn't get much help. I would welcome anyone's thoughts on this, please.

I bought this beautiful pair of Navy Bourtons, as seconds, from RETricker. The 'seconds' bit seems to be some uneven sanding to the edges and I love them as they are.

However...I can't get a shine on the topcaps. I don't mean a 'mirror shine', just an ordinary one. The leather seems to be a bit opaque. I used a small amount of Renovateur and brushed it off after 10 mins. No shine. Then I used some Saphir Neutral wax, waited the appropriate time and brushed it off. Still no shine. Brushed again, buffed with a cloth and so on.

I am not exactly new to polishing or looking after shoes. I don't normally use wax, at all, but cream. Mostly I just brush a lot.

Does anyone have any ideas about why the leather won't shine? I can live with them, as they are, but it would be good to see them a bit brighter.

A few months ago, I had a conversation with a senior man from Loakes. He mentioned that it is quite difficult to make blue shoes. Unfortunately, I didn't follow through or ask him why.

Yours, as always, Munky.

PS Tricker's is closing it's e-bay, seconds, page, permanently
cry.gif

muddy250

Reaction score
I posted this on the Tricker's page didn't get much help. I would welcome anyone's thoughts on this, please.

I bought this beautiful pair of Navy Bourtons, as seconds, from RETricker. The 'seconds' bit seems to be some uneven sanding to the edges and I love them as they are.

However...I can't get a shine on the topcaps. I don't mean a 'mirror shine', just an ordinary one. The leather seems to be a bit opaque. I used a small amount of Renovateur and brushed it off after 10 mins. No shine. Then I used some Saphir Neutral wax, waited the appropriate time and brushed it off. Still no shine. Brushed again, buffed with a cloth and so on.

I am not exactly new to polishing or looking after shoes. I don't normally use wax, at all, but cream. Mostly I just brush a lot.

Does anyone have any ideas about why the leather won't shine? I can live with them, as they are, but it would be good to see them a bit brighter.

A few months ago, I had a conversation with a senior man from Loakes. He mentioned that it is quite difficult to make blue shoes. Unfortunately, I didn't follow through or ask him why.

Yours, as always, Munky.

PS Tricker's is closing it's e-bay, seconds, page, permanently
cry.gif
Likely just the leather being less receptive.
Took me a long time to get my Hyde boots toes to shine.
Just keep adding layers of saphir, lots of layers, a little water doesn't go amiss :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads