• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PParker ESQ

Reaction score
Woe is me. I ordered a pair of cordovan trainers from Epaulett in November and finally received them. But unfortunately, the heel counter seam was utterly botched in manufacturing. Given that these had a six-month turnaround time, I'm sure an exchange isn't an option. Haven't heard back from them yet...

Please spare me any "this is what happens" commentary. I wanted cordovan trainers.

But is there any hope of repair if I find someone good?

From what I can see it looks like the leather has torn. If that is the case then in my opinion a good repair isn't possible. Some one could stitch over the top to prevent further damage but it would look awful. I'd probably just leave as is and rely on your pant length to cover it.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From what I can see it looks like the leather has torn. If that is the case then in my opinion a good repair isn't possible. Some one could stitch over the top to prevent further damage but it would look awful. I'd probably just leave as is and rely on your pant length to cover it.

Hello Boston. Sorry to hear about your shoes; it's a great shame. I would have thought it would do no harm to talk it through with a good cobbler. A good one, presumably, would soon tell you whether or not anything can be done. I hope that it can be fixed. Best wishes, Munky.

Nikolaus

Reaction score
Hello Boston. Sorry to hear about your shoes; it's a great shame. I would have thought it would do no harm to talk it through with a good cobbler. A good one, presumably, would soon tell you whether or not anything can be done. I hope that it can be fixed. Best wishes, Munky.
I second consulting a shoemaker; considering it's the heel, I think it could (and should) be stabilized to prevent further damage.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks gentlemen. I will first see what options are available for potential factory repair. Otherwise I think a good cobbler consultation may indeed be worth a try. Such a shame to see good hide end up this way!

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I currently live in London. I'm from Boston originally.

Your name offers something of a clue, perhaps!
smile.gif

wakiem

Reaction score
Just got my shoes back from the cobbler. He did an absolutely ****** job. Do you guys think this is fixable by another cobbler?
The seam at the side of my boots was loose and I asked him to fix it. He 'fixed' it but it's really ugly done.

First shoe:

Second shoe:
This one wasn't loose yet, but the thread was clearly not gonna last much longer so I asked him to do both shoes.

I don't know if this is allowed, but I also wanna leave the name of the cobbler here to warn the people who would Google him before going there: Schoenmakerij Steve & Roland in Gent

Last edited:

thuhoan

Reaction score
That is awful. I personally would inform the cobbler first that he did an awful job. If he offers to fix it again, accept it. If you then are not satisfied, give it a bad review.

wakiem

Reaction score
That is awful. I personally would inform the cobbler first that he did an awful job. If he offers to fix it again, accept it. If you then are not satisfied, give it a bad review.

Don't wanna let this guy touch any of my shoes ever again.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not defending the workmanship or questioning your decision to no longer patronize that shop...but! If you wear the shoe after the seam has come open you'll stretch the leather and make it much harder for any cobbler to get it back in place with any kind of finesse.

Captain Insano

Reaction score
Cross post from AE thread....
My heel started to separate on my AE blue Neumoks so I had local cobbler attach new heels. Also shined these. They used Urad creme which I have never heard of. They are definitely more shiny than before.

I have Lincoln neutral shoe polish and Venetian Shoe Cream at home to use. Which would be best for these of VSC, Lincoln Neutral Polish, or Urad neutral/clear creme?
20160604_091719_zps1vhadgao.jpg

20160604_091648_zpslrgxafz3.jpg

mreams99

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cross post from AE thread....
My heel started to separate on my AE blue Neumoks so I had local cobbler attach new heels. Also shined these. They used Urad creme which I have never heard of. They are definitely more shiny than before.

I have Lincoln neutral shoe polish and Venetian Shoe Cream at home to use. Which would be best for these of VSC, Lincoln Neutral Polish, or Urad neutral/clear creme?
20160604_091719_zps1vhadgao.jpg

20160604_091648_zpslrgxafz3.jpg

Did you look at the AE website to see what they recommend for this leather? I'm not 100% certain, but I'm going to guess that they recommend their "leather lotion". It's what they recommend for my green Rush Streets, and I like the results.

Captain Insano

Reaction score
Yes but I tried their leather conditioner on another shoe and not sure it is going to bring a shine to this blue Neumok. I am hesitant to try it. I did search and find a urad thread on this forum which was helpful.

EDIT: Actually check that, I have the AE leather conditioner cleaner and that is what I don't want to use (way too many leather products in cupboard, can't keep track anymore). So you have had good luck with the AE leather lotion? Does it help with shine or just soften the leather? Trying to get these Neumok as shiny as possible. The leather is not designed for high shine - I know, but that is what I am going for.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member