• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
How many times have you worn the shoes? I'd be surprised if the problem didn't work itself out after a few wearings. I've had bespoke shoes come back like this. I've always prescribed this to the slight imperfection that is impossible to avoid with anything "handmade."
Just received a pair of shoes .Everything looks great except that the shoes are unbalanced. Returning to the company is a pain as they're an international shoemaker. 1) Just how easy is this to fix? 2) Is this a common problem? Shoes can be "slightly unbalanced right? I'm guessing this is more on the extreme case.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How many times have you worn the shoes? I'd be surprised if the problem didn't work itself out after a few wearings. I've had bespoke shoes come back like this. I've always prescribed this to the slight imperfection that is impossible to avoid with anything "handmade."

Some of my other shoes also have this problem, but the heel doesn't go that high. It's very subtle whereas this particular heel goes up by quite a bit compared to some of my other shoes.

I didn't wear it due to the risk of not being able to return the shoes. If this is a minor problem, I'll just wear these shoes. Glad to hear this is not a big deal - appreciate the feedback.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Some of my other shoes also have this problem, but the heel doesn't go that high. It's very subtle whereas this particular heel goes up by quite a bit compared to some of my other shoes. 

I didn't wear it due to the risk of not being able to return the shoes. If this is a minor problem, I'll just wear these shoes. Glad to hear this is not a big deal - appreciate the feedback. 

My bespoke pair of Cleverly's torqued significantly. However, I feel that once you load the shoe with your body weight, that immediately disappears. I'm not sure if any of the other guys have opinions here... mine is certainly not scientific. But I certainly haven't felt this affect while wearing the ones mentioned.

wengxiah

Reaction score

For people who's interested in metal heel taps: yesterday I received a pair of shoes from Meermin with metal heel taps, I always assumed that the metal heel taps would make it very slippery from what I have read on sf, but I wear them today, walked on different kind of surface, including tiles, carpet and I don't find them any more slippery than regular rubber heel. I'm not sure if it would make difference if you use non flushed heel tap.
Noise: yes, about the same amount of noise made by heels of women. Personally I'm fine with it, because when I bought my first pair of dress shoes, Paul smiths, they were as noisy as these

Last edited:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a pair of shoes .Everything looks great except that the shoes are unbalanced.

Returning to the company is a pain as they're an international shoemaker.

1) Just how easy is this to fix?
2) Is this a common problem? Shoes can be "slightly unbalanced right? I'm guessing this is more on the extreme case.

Very easy to fix, any cobbler can do it. Or just wear them.

Very typical for RTW shoes.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My bespoke pair of Cleverly's torqued significantly. However, I feel that once you load the shoe with your body weight, that immediately disappears. I'm not sure if any of the other guys have opinions here... mine is certainly not scientific. But I certainly haven't felt this affect while wearing the ones mentioned.

Interesting. It didnt happen to my numerous pairs from other makers.

Hotjock

Reaction score
Need some help please. The leather sole on my C&J has broken off almighty at the toe - probably due to it getting wet and the way I walk. The stitching is now revealed slightly (hand grade). I wanted to put on flush metal toe taps, but been all over Budapest she repairers and no one can do such a job. To make them flush I understand they have to cut away the leather but does this not ruin the integrity of the shoe? i.e. Cutting away below the stitching level? Would like to do this on some of my other shoes GG and other C&J, but don't want to screw up the shoes. Grateful for any insights on this process and would be in London at Christmas time, so any places who could do this would be most welcome.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vass have the option to install flushed metal toe taps for their brand news shoes. So I would imagine there's someone in Budapest that is capable of doing the same.

Maybe go ask Vass store for help since you are already at Budapest.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Need some help please. The leather sole on my C&J has broken off almighty at the toe - probably due to it getting wet and the way I walk. The stitching is now revealed slightly (hand grade). I wanted to put on flush metal toe taps, but been all over Budapest she repairers and no one can do such a job. To make them flush I understand they have to cut away the leather but does this not ruin the integrity of the shoe? i.e. Cutting away below the stitching level? Would like to do this on some of my other shoes GG and other C&J, but don't want to screw up the shoes. Grateful for any insights on this process and would be in London at Christmas time, so any places who could do this would be most welcome.

If done properly it won't ruin the integrity of the shoe. If the sole is new the stitching is not disturbed at all. If the sole has been worn to far -or- in your case it sounds like it was damaged at the toe. A new leather tip is attached and stitched on. Then, the flush mounted toe plate is added.

Hotjock

Reaction score

Vass have the option to install flushed metal toe taps for their brand news shoes.  So I would imagine there's someone in Budapest that is capable of doing the same.

Maybe go ask Vass store for help since you are already at Budapest.

I went to Vass the other day to order a couple of pairs of shoes. I saw Rezso and showed him the shoes but unfortunately they can't do it - not the same process as they use. He gave me contacts who may be able to do it, but unfortunately they can't. Probably have to wait until I go to London.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got a serious question about shoe sizing, particularly for elongated european lasts.

Back when I was mostly wearing AE shoes, I was typically a 9D. Shoe buying was simple then. I found, one day, while purchasing some Church's single monks in a longer last, the 7.5E (UK) fit me more comfortably than anything I'd previously owned. And now, after trying on a number of Ferragamo shoes, I keep finding that the 8EE seems to fit best. Also found a pair of 8.5D (US) Alden loafers had no heel slip vs the 9Ds, which felt great but for the slippage. On a foot sizer, I measure about an 8.75 standard American length. So I suppose I could go up or down depending on the last.

So now to my question. When it comes to slip-ons, can finding the most comfortable fit accidentally put more wear on the toe box? I wonder if certain shoes are just meant to be long in the toe box and, darnit, let the soles break in to prevent heel slip. Or is a nice snug fit when trying on the shoes king; come what may?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Toe box extension is most cases is part of the design. If the ball of the shoe is snug and your heel doesn't slip in general that's going to be a good fit. The vamp should be close to your foot with no extra room in there.

BostonHedonist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, but let's say your "true" size in one of these Ferragamo drivers is 8.5 but due to the design/last, the 8 fits nice and snugly too. Would having your toes a bit farther up the toe box drastically increase the wear and tear?

I fear I may have marked my new drivers for an early grave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads