• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

joachim92

Reaction score
I'd say you'd be fine with the creams as they don't raise as high of a shine as the hard wax polishes. Saphir and, or GlenKaren creams would both be good choices. Make sure you don't wear them every day, use cedar shoe trees and if they get wet or you walk in wet grounds leave them with shoe trees in on their sides so the soles can dry out. I'd get a brush too and brush them to keep dirt from accumulating and raising the leather fibers after wearing.

Thanks! I was gonna get a brush (this one) to remove the renovateur / cream (I'm basing this on this guide), will get a second one to remove the dirt. Will also look out for some shoe trees.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Brushes aren't used for removing cream they are used to raise a slight sine and brush off small dust and dirt particles. It also spreads around the oils and waxes on the surface and lifts the microfibers of the leather.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the basic thought from people, that brushes were design to remove the product. I don't know about removal, but I know that over time brushes accumulate a lot of polishes.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Hang on, Voltaire..."
smile.gif

Totally agree. Wholecuts can look super formal or casual (Norvegese stitching like the Bonafé pairs posted in that thread).

Curious if a black shell wholecut is worth it over calf for a formal shoe. I feel like the blooming would be an eyesore for a formal shoe, needing constant upkeep.

With wholecuts, though, I guess it's all about which last you want it on for the occasion.
In order to prevent blooming, make sure you condition shell with sufficient amount of oils and creams, and give it a ton of brushing. Neglecting oil content in shell cordovan caused the leather to push the stationary waxes and tallows impregnated during hot stuffing process.

Wholecut shoes in Navy blue shell cordovan is my new target. As of construction - either you punch medallion on the toe, or else Norvegese wouldn't make it less formal, IMO.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In order to prevent blooming, make sure you condition shell with sufficient amount of oils and creams, and give it a ton of brushing. Neglecting oil content in shell cordovan caused the leather to push the stationary waxes and tallows impregnated during hot stuffing process. 

Wholecut shoes in Navy blue shell cordovan is my new target. As of construction - either you punch medallion on the toe, or else Norvegese wouldn't make it less formal, IMO.
I heavily disagree with your care for shell using grease and oil and such. That's ridiculous. Bloom is just a part of shell, if you don't like it don't buy shell. No leather required being smothered in grease.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I heavily disagree with your care for shell using grease and oil and such. That's ridiculous. Bloom is just a part of shell, if you don't like it don't buy shell. No leather required being smothered in grease.
No no no, not smothering it, and I bet I'm the only crazy asshole who grease my shell here. I mean, give it a coat of cream per maintenance.

Besides, regarding grease, I wouldn't smother my shell neither. Just a light coat across with my finger, and rub it in really good on.

Crazy how I've never got blooming on shell. Guess I was just lucky.

Guys who use Pecard's leather dressing would get bloom as well, Pat, not just shell. I know it is ordinary amongst leather.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mry8s

Reaction score
So I guess my question was buried in the Dublin comments, but I'm still curious what basic cleaning and conditioning products you'd all recommend.

I'm looking for "good enough", not trying to squeeze out the last 1%.

Right now I'm pondering Lexol cleaner and conditioner or maybe Glenkaren non toxic cleaner.

I really have no idea what to look for in a conditioner.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

So I guess my question was buried in the Dublin comments, but I'm still curious what basic cleaning and conditioning products you'd all recommend.

Right now I'm pondering Lexol cleaner and conditioner or maybe Glenkaren non toxic cleaner.

Lexol-ph cleaner is a pretty fair product, IMO. When I came up, the common wisdom (among shoemakers) was that any ph-balanced soap was good.Tallow or glycerine based saddle soaps, not so good. Many of us even used Johnson & Johnson's "No More Tears" baby shampoo before the Lexol-ph gained notoriety. It worked well.

As for conditioners...my current go to product is Bick4.

Last edited:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Unless really necessary, don't always use a cleaning product. A dampen cloth can remove most dirts and dusts, while heavier concentrated products can use a dauber and running water.

As of myself, I use raw oils, but unless you have a good experience with raw oils, always go for stuffs like Lexol and Bick series instead.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads