1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

At least a full size too big and 2 width too narrow.

2. nekostyle

nekostyle Active Member

They are 8E Lexington. Measured in store they tried to sell me a 8.5D and I pushed back as my heel was sliding all over the place. Sales guy watched me walk around and told me these were right. So I guess I am actually a 7EEE or something?

Too scared to wear the Park Avenues I bought at the same time (also 8E. Same last I believe)

3. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I saw this this morning and I still can't believe it.

This I would do with my Redwings, but not with my Galways.

Ah well what are they for if not for getting enjoyment out of.

4. SimplyStylin

SimplyStylin Senior member

I had some Lexingtons for a few weeks, until I decided the 65 last is just too narrow for me to get a comfortable fit without some serious break-in time or stretching.

i did not receive any creases in the cap toe, so I'd have to agree it's most likely it's a fit issue as mentioned.

5. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Advice to get beer stains out of leather shoes? They're navy blue, so they're not exactly stains, but rather little wrinkles.

6. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

The 5 last is one of their most narrow lasts, and quite long too. It's very popular but is an odd fit IMO. I've owned several 5 last shoes in the past, but have sold them all off as it just doesn't work for me. It is not unusual to have to go down in length and up in width in that last. Don't worry about the # on the box, go with what fits best. If you haven't worn the Park Aves yet, I would consider returning to the store and trying other sizes before wearing them.

7. Fred G. Unn

Fred G. Unn Senior member

Paging @Crat...

I've seen him beat the hell out of his C&Js while fishing and get them looking great again.

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

I think he did this to Galways as well, but those were the more field type boots on the 64 Last.

9. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Try 1 part white vinegar with 3 parts distilled water and some elbow grease.

10. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

I have creasing that looks a bit like that on my Leeds. Totally different last and no cap but similar looking creasing. I have it only on the left foot. My left foot is about a size smaller than my right foot, so I think the gentlemen's comments about fit should be spot on.

I wear Leeds (511 last which is wider than 65 I've been told) in 8 1/2 EEE. Right foot pinches after a days wear until broken in while the left would be fine in 7 1/2 EEE. Just try them all on yourself in the store if you have the luxury. Maybe a 511 lasted shoe fits you better, although that also depends on the heel. For me its still fine, even on the left foot, as its mostly just shorter but not much thinner than my right.

11. chogall

chogall Senior member

1. Don't use moist paper towel. Just put them under faucet and wash. Faster and cleaner. Alternatively, wash them in a bucket of water + renomat, or water + vinegar if its salt/sea water stained. Use old toothbrush to get rid of the dirt.
    2. Use lexol or bick4 to condition, not renovateur. Condition them while they are still wet. Insert shoe tree. Wait a day or two till they are dry.

the rest is fine. cream and buff or whatever you feel like.

If you wear them rough, maybe a touch of dubbing across the vamp.

12. Crat

Crat Senior member

This, with one small tweak.
    To start with dont use shoe trees but newspaper. Stuff it into the boots tightly and replace it every few hours. You will notice how quickly it absorbs the moisture from the shoes. Wooden trees hill hold on to the moisture if the boots are drenched thus keeping the boots damp. Once the boots are moderately dry then use the trees. Dry somewhere away from a heat source where there is good air circulation. Since they have leather soles I would lay them on their sides to dry. Or is it dainite? Looks like dainite on my phone. If dainite then disregard the previous.

The upcoming tide trapped me on a sand bank the other day. I used the same procedure on my connistons, works fine. I've also previously used it on my poncified 82-last galways.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
    3 people like this.
  13. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

How many newspapers do you buy for your boots @Crat?. You guys are unbelievable. [​IMG]

@Chogall. Under wich circumtances do you use water+Renomat?. Never heard of it unless you want to stripp off the colour.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Washing/cleaning of dirty shoes. Water + renomat, saddle soap, lexol cleaner, etc + non-abrasive kitchen scrub. Pick your poison.

15. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Why not just water then if there is only dirt and no salt stained?.

Note: I understand the yellowish saddle soap contains glicerine in most cases.

16. chogall

chogall Senior member

You don't know what else is there in addition to dirt. Sometimes grit, rain, sweat, mineral deposits, soil, compost, etc. I use my boots for gardening/farming work and they get dirty.

Some Japanese shoe washing services goes as far as using ultrasound machine to shake all the unwanted particles.

17. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I understand the use of cleaners like Lexol or B4 for gardening/riding shoes and the heck for the unwanted particles....but Renomat with water it seems to strange to me. I might get one of those lovely cowboy boots to open up my untouched Lexol cleaner 1 L drum.

18. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't ever use saddle soap on leather.

19. chogall

chogall Senior member

http://www.saintcrispins.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/SC_shoecare.pdf

Yes, I agree that saddle soap isn't the best for leather and might change its acidic nature if not rinsed. Washing isn't the same as soaking and my boots are in contact with a lot of water/mud of acidic materials.

20. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Apart from SC saying that its actually OK to use saddle soap and how to do it exactly, just think about it. When you use soap (lets say pure glycerin soap, like Pears) on your skin (leather), how is that so different? Well theres still a body attached to that leather to help replenish the skin/leather. And if it isn't, say in dry winters, we use lotions and cremes. Which is probably why saddle soap is not pure glycerin (although a pure glycerin soap might actually be much better than most other soaps people buy nowadays) but has other ingredients apart from glycerin and its why SC says its enough to care for the leather.

Another nice read on the topic is this one (scroll down a bit, although the question is on waterproofing the later paragraphs in the answer deal with glycerin and how to clean and care for the leather https://www.boot.com/bfaq1.shtml#SnowSeal