• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Dillardiv

Reaction score

Cannot be saved.  Those are not veins but creases from using lower grade part of the leather.  Live with this.  Cream wax will conceal them slightly.

Don't need to complain about Meermin either.  You get what you paid for, and there's no other well-known shoemaker that produces better at the same price.

Thanks. They aren't really that visible from regular wear. Definitely can't complain about the price.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A new one on me - cemented soles. I have discovered, from the manufacturer, that I have a couple of pairs of shoes with these. I don't know much about them but I suspect that a response to asking about cementing, here, will bring forth opinions along the lines of a) don't go anywhere near them, b) there is good cementing and bad and c) cementing can be very good.

From a quick look on the internet, I note that some of Loake's and (I think) Church's are made with cemented soles.

Any info would be welcome.

I think one of the issues to consider first is that construction methods often reflect the quality of their components. This obviously isn't always true. There are Goodyear-welted shoes made from total crap, and there are cemented shoes made from the best leathers. However, as a rule of thumb, it's a relatively safe assumption. Since cementing is the cheapest construction method, most shoes made this way also use inferior components.

The insoles of cemented shoes are quite likely to be made of fiberboard (essentially high-tech cardboard).

Cemented shoes can be repaired, contrary to what many may tell you. However, it is undisputable that repairing a cemented shoe is much more "risky" than repairing a stitched shoe such as a Goodyear-welted or Blake/Rapid. When the sole is removed from a cemented shoe, there isn't anything holding the rest of the shoe together. Furthermore, when you rip off the old sole from a cemented shoe, you may damage the other glued components as well. This can set off a domino effect that leads to the shoe not fitting properly afterword. The uppers of cemented shoes are simply wrapped around and glued to the underside of the insole, then the sole is glued to that. So, the sole is essentially glued to the uppers themselves.

It is the norm for cemented shoes that are made of cheap materials to simply be considered "disposable" because the cost of repairing them is generally not worth it considering the deterioration of the other cheap components in conjunction with the sole. When the sole wears out, the rest of the shoe isn't looking good enough to warrant investing more money in them.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Do you mean cemented as in only using glue to hold the sole on, or glue in addition to stitching? If the latter then that is normal.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, MoneyWellSpent, as always, for your detailed response to my query about cemented soles. Referring to Patrick's point, my shoes of this sort have stitching right the way round the edge of the shoes. Are these likely to be cemented and stitched? The makers of my shoes offered a curt 'this range is cemented and not welted'.

jd13jd13

Reaction score

Thank you, MoneyWellSpent, as always, for your detailed response to my query about cemented soles. Referring to Patrick's point, my shoes of this sort have stitching right the way round the edge of the shoes. Are these likely to be cemented and stitched? The makers of my shoes offered a curt 'this range is cemented and not welted'.

Probably a pseudo-stitch. Many cemented shoes have them for the look.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, MoneyWellSpent, as always, for your detailed response to my query about cemented soles. Referring to Patrick's point, my shoes of this sort have stitching right the way round the edge of the shoes. Are these likely to be cemented and stitched? The makers of my shoes offered a curt 'this range is cemented and not welted'.

Probably a pseudo-stitch. Many cemented shoes have them for the look.

Exactly. I don't know your shoes in particular, but it is surprising how many shoe manufacturers go through the effort to disguise their shoes to look like they are constructed in a different way than they actually are.

Watch this video: They touch on it there.

mikeharo

Reaction score
You have me thinking about this more now and I have question about cemented shoes. I like the shape of C&J's Cheam for my wedding next year. They are cemented soles. Do the same sentiments hold true for formal shoes?

For some background, these shoes will not be worn more than once per year beyond my wedding next year.

Last edited:

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have me thinking about this more now and I have question about cemented shoes. I like the shape of C&J's Cheam for my wedding next year. They are cemented soles. Do the same sentiments hold true for formal shoes?

For some background, these shoes will not be worn more than once per year beyond my wedding next year.

No, it isn't unusual for strictly formal shoes (like patent leather ones) to have cemented soles even by the most expensive brands. They are going for the cleanest look possible, and thus don't want to have any welt to increase the girth of the shoe. Shoes like these get worn so rarely by most people, that they will likely last a lifetime despite being made in an "inferior" way.

mikeharo

Reaction score

No, it isn't unusual for strictly formal shoes (like patent leather ones) to have cemented soles even by the most expensive brands.  They are going for the cleanest look possible, and thus don't want to have any welt to increase the girth of the shoe.  Shoes like these get worn so rarely by most people, that they will likely last a lifetime despite being made in an "inferior" way.

Thank-you for responding. That makes sense and I figured as much.

FootFitter

Reaction score
@Dillardiv This is not completely something you can fix. I would go ahead and treat and condition using the Saphir Renovating cream tube and go ahead and purchase a pair of shoe trees. When walking in your shoes for a long time you create moisture which expands the leather and lining in your shoe. When you remove your shoe, if you don't have a shoe tree to absorb the moisture/sweat the shoe will not maintain its shape which then causes these creases. Cedar Shoe Tree is best!

JermynStreet

Reaction score
High end shoe manufacturers ($1k+) usually Blake stitch formal patent shoes from what I have seen.
I agree. Why is that? Blake stitch is really useless IMO. I suppose it just allows the maker to make the sole poke out less, but a really good GY welting machine could do that just the same.

BootSpell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree. Why is that? Blake stitch is really useless IMO. I suppose it just allows the maker to make the sole poke out less, but a really good GY welting machine could do that just the same.

Interesting that you say Blake is useless. I'm certainly no expert but have heard opinions where weather issues aside (water seeping in through the stitching holes), that Blake/Blake rapid is of no inferior construction than Goodyear. As pointed out, Blake does offer the ability to make sleeker looking footwear.

Could you expand on why you think Blake is "useless"?

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High end shoe manufacturers ($1k+) usually Blake stitch formal patent shoes from what I have seen.

Are you referring to the manufacturer's that normally charge more than 1K, or to the actual shoes themselves? Edward Green Holborn is cemented, while their Carnegie is Blake stitched. I don't know about the John Lobb Soiree. It doesn't seem to be consistent in who Blake stitches and who cements.

I think those who choose to Blake stitch are likely just going off of the premise that stitching is considered higher quality than cementing as a stereotype. A welt sewing machine can only get so close, no matter what. A Blake stitching machine can stitch on a sole leaving it flush with the upper since the stitch is running inside the shoe. This is impossible with a welt sewing machine since the stitch is around the perimeter of the welt/sole.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads