1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior member

By the way, @Munky, following up on a question you had back in May re Bass Weejuns, I recently obtained a pair from their 'Made In USA' line (the Lavin), and I'm sorry to say they're about as poor quality as their mainline offering, despite the much higher price point. Leathers was shellacked and the construction sloppy, with very little support in the footbed. It's a shame, because as I noted before the Mr. Porter x Bass collection from last Fall was a solid offering.

I remember Mrs. Munky did not approve of the style so it's a moot point, but thought I'd update you.

2. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thanks, again Who.The Burfords have Dainite soles and the Dr Martens have the company's own, thick and hard rubber soles that seems likely to last forever. Not to everyone's taste but I like Docs and the company make very comfortable and colourful boots and shoes. Hardly top end but they come with an interesting cultural history!

You remembered well! Mrs Munky did, indeed, turn her nose up at Bass Weejuns and since I saw them, the shop that had them has closed down. I have since discovered that Mrs M has a downer on all types of penny loafers. No luck with those, then.

3. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior member

Not much for the ivy league, then. I can't blame her.

Is there a Welsh version of the American Trad look?

4. Munky

Munky Senior member

I think the Welsh version is tracksuits and wellington boots. I may just have lost a few good friends, though. With remorse, Munky.

1 person likes this.
  5. San780

San780 Senior member

Hello there,

Has anyone here had the opportunity of testing SAPHIR Medaille d'Or MINK OIL? It seems like a new product on their website and I was wondering about its comparison with Renovateur.

Thank you.

6. pediwear

pediwear Senior member Affiliate Vendor

1 person likes this.
  7. San780

San780 Senior member

Thank you very much for the swift reply.

Actually the new product I'm referring to is the following:
    https://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-medaille-d-or-mink-oil.html

It's being advertised for smooth leather...

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Old porcelain sign.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  9. pediwear

10. pediwear

Hi @San780

We received a delivery of this today. I tried it out on some black calf leather shoes of mine to start with and was reasonably pleased with the result. However I did notice that the product is quite thick and greasy - not at all like the Mink Oil we have seen from Saphir previously (http://www.avel.com/saphir-medaille...lotion-saphir-medaille-dor-1925-paris-31.html). I have read previously on here or elsewhere that mink oil can discolour leather - and it's use is discouraged for fine leathers by some. So I found an old pair of tan calf leather shoes in our stock and applied Mink Oil on one half of the vamp. On the other half I applied Saphir MDO renovateur. It is noticeable how much more liquid the renovateur is and how it is absorbed by the leather more easily. However it was the finishing result which might give cause for concern because the mink oil side of the shoe had darkened, slightly - but definitely noticeable. I have left it several hours and brushed the shoe several times but the darker shade remains. The renovateur side retains the original colour of the leather.

This is not intended as a definitive or scientific review. However, based on these results my thoughts are that the mink oil should perhaps to use it to renovate dark waxy leather products and keep it away from any light colours. Given that MDO renovateur is such a good product I would continue using this on calf leather - the arrival of this mink oil product does not seem to be a reason to change. It would be fascinating to hear whether others agree?

Regards

Mike

3 people like this.
  11. pediwear

Of course I should probably add that MDO renovateur itself is Mink Oil based, but it is presumably at significantly lower concentration in that product than in this new offering.

12. San780

San780 Senior member

Dear Mike,

Thank you very much for your very helpful feedback. Being French, I called VALMOUR directly yesterday and talked with a lady over there. She kept on underlining the fact that I should not use their new mink oil with light colored shoes; otherwise I run the risk of really darkening the shoes.

I've ordered the new mink oil as well as the new mirror gloss polish. Will give my two cents once I've used them...

Thanks once again.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2016
  13. Munky

Munky Senior member

I do sometimes worry about the amount of words people write about this or that polish/conditioner/wax. I suspect that, as long as you put something on your shoes, occasionally and brush them regularly, all will be well. In the UK, at least, if you merely brush your shoes, before you go out and when you get back, you will be doing more that around 90% of the male population. Less polish and more brush is probably the way to do it.

2 people like this.
  14. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

If you brush before and after wearing, I would guess you're doing more than 95% in the U.K. and 99.99% in the US.

1 person likes this.
  15. FrankieG

FrankieG Member

I use dubbin to maintain my C&J Tetbury in Black Wax Calf. Can you use Saphir Wax on top of dubbin to give the toe cap some extra shine?

If so, can you apply dubbin on top of the waxed part next time the shoes are polished or do you have to remove the wax first?

16. SlickTime

SlickTime Active Member

Hello gents. What is the best method of aftercare for your leather(upper) shoes in terms of wiping them down etc, after you just got home from walking around snowy conditions or icy slush? And also, what's the best thing to do after a trip of doing so for about a week to best restore them to good health after being exposed to some snow/salt/etc.?

Thank you!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2016
  17. SoGent

SoGent Senior member

I've had a few screw-ups like this. Try a sleeking bone with some crème lubricant to minimize the scar by
    smoothing it out some before using any polish.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2016
  18. pediwear

Thanks @San780 I look forward to hearing how you get on with both products. I have since used the mink oil on both black calf and black grain and found the results quite pleasing. I am not convinced that the results are any better than after using renovateur though.

19. San780

San780 Senior member

I recently received the SAPHIR new mink oil as well as the new mirror gloss polish.

Some good results using the new mink oil. However it does darken the shoes considerably. And personally I don't see much of a difference between this product and Renovateur. Smells wonderfully though! Not really sure if I'd be buying it again.

The new mirror gloss polish is a very pleasant surprise however. I was able to put on a mirror shine very quickly. Highly recommended!

20. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Is the consensus here on oil stains still talcum powder ASAP?

Vinegar?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016