• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

danne888

Reaction score
I have a pair of shoes in suede that i have brushed to hard and the Suede is slightly damaged. Is it possible to fix somehow?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I have a pair of shoes in suede that i have brushed to hard and the Suede is slightly damaged. Is it possible to fix somehow?

Hard to tell anything significant from a photo regardless how good or bad it may be.

The suede looks to be a chrome tanned leather and it is not dyed through...at least not with the same colour as is on the surface. So you've probably brushed away the leather that was darker. That may seem obvious...but what may not be obvious to anyone but yourself is that in the process you have actually broken and knocked off much of the fiber mat that comprises the leather. If we were to "mic" the leather in the places it is lighter, we'd probably find that it was thinner too.

So yes, the leather probably is damaged, no, there's nothing you can do to remedy that. The only thing you can do is re-dye the leather either a darker colour or the same original colour.

And stop scrubbing.

Stemo79

Reaction score

Hard to tell anything significant from a photo regardless how good or bad it may be.

The suede looks to be a chrome tanned leather and it is not dyed through...at least not with the same colour as is on the surface. So you've probably brushed away the leather that was darker. That may seem obvious...but what may not be obvious to anyone but yourself is that in the process you have actually broken and knocked off much of the fiber mat that comprises the leather. If we were to "mic" the leather in the places it is lighter, we'd probably find that it was thinner too.

So yes, the leather probably is damaged, no, there's nothing you can do to remedy that. The only thing you can do is re-dye the leather either a darker colour or the same original colour.

And stop scrubbing.

Although I've not tried it myself (I'm very careful with my suede shoes!!) I heard that you can get the nap back by using a sandpaper....? This could be codswallop though.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Although I've not tried it myself (I'm very careful with my suede shoes!!) I heard that you can get the nap back by using a sandpaper....? This could be codswallop though.

You need to be extra careful doing that. If you have dirt and such caked or embedded in the fibers of the leather, you can sometimes loosen them with sandpaper but the same thing happens with sandpaper as with too hard a brushing...except quicker and deeper...the fibers are cut or broken, or loosened from the surrounding matrix, and eventually the leather is worn down to where the fiber mat is too dense to make a good suede. Or too loose, and things go downhill fast from there.

But again, the real problem danne888 has with these shoes is the dye variations...at least from what I can tell from the photos. The "nap" may be a little coarse but if the colour were restored no one would notice but him.

Last edited:

joachim92

Reaction score
Anyone knows a good cobbler in Belgium to add a sleek sole to my boots? I want to maintain the low profile of the boots (mmm side zips). I walk a lot in them and notice the sole is wearing down pretty fast.

kbuzz

Reaction score
Hello all I would like to get the advice on the following. I have a pair of rm wiliams craftsman in whiskey. The pair has always been a bit too red in tone for me and I am curious if there might be a way to tone them down a bit and shift them more towards the brown family. Now I know there have been a few threads on this topic in the past but I don't seem to have found any on the Merlot burgundy to brown change. (Usually is brown to black or tan to cordovan etc). Now this lack of prior threads and pics may be a sign that's it's just impractical but thought I'd take a stab since these have been impervious to less invasive applications of brown, cordovan or black surface wax polish

So the thought was to follow some of the tutorials and try to hit them with either the Saphir Decapant Stripper for Smooth Leather or Saphir reno mat. Condition with Saphir renovateur And follow with some creme polish in dark brown, chocolate or similar. Finally if all went well maybe hit them with final wax polish in brown or neutral. Would Saphir Juvacuir Recoloring Cream be appropriate for any of these steps or is this product for spot repair?

So any thoughts appreciated. Is this folly? Would dye be a better way and then creme polish? While the boots are older and I'm not worried about destroying them, I was hoping to avoid the acetone dye route just due to the harshness factor.... So I tthank all In advance, with any opinion on strategy, products color or technique. And of course here's a quick pic of Boots in the current little red riding hood condition.

Last edited:

Layered Player

Reaction score
Quote: That's exactly what I meant.

Thanks benhour, I suspected as much. Damned shame given how solid it's construction is.

I've gotten the Lexol on them and it's helped a bit but I'm sure I'll have to hit them with tinted creme at some point as the underlying calf is lighter.

Thanks all for the continued input, I'll get updated pics asap.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello all I would like to get the advice on the following. I have a pair of rm wiliams craftsman in whiskey. The pair has always been a bit too red in tone for me and I am curious if there might be a way to tone them down a bit and shift them more towards the brown family. Now I know there have been a few threads on this topic in the past but I don't seem to have found any on the Merlot burgundy to brown change. (Usually is brown to black or tan to cordovan etc). Now this lack of prior threads and pics may be a sign that's it's just impractical but thought I'd take a stab since these have been impervious to less invasive applications of brown, cordovan or black surface wax polish

So the thought was to follow some of the tutorials and try to hit them with either the Saphir Decapant Stripper for Smooth Leather or Saphir reno mat. Condition with Saphir renovateur And follow with some creme polish in dark brown, chocolate or similar. Finally if all went well maybe hit them with final wax polish in brown or neutral. Would Saphir Juvacuir Recoloring Cream be appropriate for any of these steps or is this product for spot repair?

So any thoughts appreciated. Is this folly? Would dye be a better way and then creme polish? While the boots are older and I'm not worried about destroying them, I was hoping to avoid the acetone dye route just due to the harshness factor.... So I tthank all In advance, with any opinion on strategy, products color or technique. And of course here's a quick pic of Boots in the current little red riding hood condition.

I'd say many rounds of Saphir Renomat is sufficient for stripping off. If you want to use Avel Decapant, then you may want to think of nourishing the leather with something heavy afterwards - Lexol, Bick4, or even a light coat of grease.

As of coloring, per reference, you can try DIY with the Juvacuir, because it is largely removable. However, I'd suggest you alter between dark brown and light tan to get your desired finish.

Branndonm1

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

I am new to the forum. So first of all, hello to all. Now I'd like to explain why I am here. I was walking through the mall the other day and I saw this nice pair of clarks on sale so I picked them up. I am big on boots but I opted to try out a low top option this time since I couldn't pass up the deal. I usually polish off my boots with "Kiwi Neutral Polish" and they come looking beautiful. Most of my boots are dark (blacks, browns, burgundies) so I'd never tried the polish out on light brown shoes, and let me tell you, it was a mess. My shoes are now dark brown and look terrible. I'd like to know what you guys suggest? I browsed a few other forums and have encounter others who have had the same problem, but most are opting to totally recolor the shoe. I'm wondering if there is anything I could do to save them and maybe preserve the original color? if not possible, I'd like to know your suggestions on how I would go about repainting them to get back the original tone. Thanks a lot guys.

Before:

after:

Branndonm1

Reaction score
So should I just apply some light brown Collonil/Saphir polish on top of whats already there? or will I need to remove the Kiwi polish first somehow?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads