1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Thanks for your answer. I see you have not used neither Renomat nor acetone to strip off the colour of your shoes. Therefore my understanding is that you just went for a deep cleaning before applying different coloured creams. I wonder whether I should use Renomat to strip off the original light colour of the shell and continue with some mahogany cream/wax or just brush the shell and continue with the darker creams/waxes during a long period of time. No one in this forum that I am aware of, have stripped off their shells with Reno nor acetone and I would like to know the results in advance. Cheers.

2. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

I don't know how you go about de-colorizing you shell. My intensions were only to remove the wax, and get back to the burgundy shell underneath.

1 person likes this.
  3. frankyarmo

frankyarmo New Member

Big Problem :( :( :(

Today i discoverd green mold i my shoes at First i Didnt think it was mold and i just rubed with a Paperback towel ower now i dont know if i got everithing. So now what should I Do should i go to a cobler and let him open the shoe and Put in New lining and footbed or should I pur in alkohol wather Mix or wineger.
    Im realy angry because the shoes were expencive and i just started wearing them a 2 month ago

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
  4. whorishconsumer

whorishconsumer Senior member

@ace13x, @Petepan

Gash is not gone but is significantly reduced in appearance, after application of some Lexol conditioner and aggressive brushing with a horse hair. Admittedly I'm not the most accomplished in the art of buffing.

Thanks again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  5. tropics

tropics Senior member

2 heavy coats of lexol and a bit of elbow grease worked like a champ.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  6. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Out of curiosity, did you do the whole shoe or just the area around the gash? Another light coat around that area might yield further improvement.

I mentioned before I had a pair of Aldens with really bad scrapes, It took a few applications before I could fade them until they were only visible up close. I didn't mind, because that pair was BONE dry. The shell sucked up the first three applications like nothing, and it took five to get them properly moisturized. But consider that an outlier, they looked like they were sitting for years and years in a hot dry place.

7. TexasTexter

TexasTexter Senior member

Man did you guys give $500 for that Gerstner Box? Is it worth it?

8. TexasTexter

Do you use shoe trees?

9. TexasTexter

What are those shoes?

10. tropics

tropics Senior member

carmina

11. whorishconsumer

I did apply a thin coat all around, but focused additional conditioner on the toe and in that area. These are pretty new shoes so I don't want to risk over-moisturizing. The gash really isn't noticeable unless you're as close as my camera was and in the right light. I can live with being snubbed by the rodent dandy community.

1 person likes this.
  12. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Excellent!

13. Petepan

Petepan Senior member

If it still bothers you, try rubbing with some old nylon pantyhoses. A little (very little!) dark colored wax may also help.

14. Munky

Munky Senior member

What are the pros and cons of having and wearing boots, as opposed to shoes? I have two pairs of boots and quite a lot of shoes. I tend to think of boots as winter wear...but I don't know. I would welcome any comments. With very best wishes, Munky.

15. Rubik1014

Rubik1014 Senior member

Cross posting this thread as well as the AE Appreciation thread for more input:

In the "asked and answered 100 times but I wasn't paying attention then, and don't know how to find the answer in this 1,000 page thread" category:

What do you all use for polish on Walnut? Is there any consensus on this subject? I have read enough that the AE Walnut polish turns the shoes orange. I've used Neutral, but that isn't putting any color into the leather.

I have been using a little neutral Saphir wax, but haven't used the polishes.

Do you use a separate polish cover to add some toe darkening? Or a separate wax color when adding shine?

Thanks in advance.

16. whorishconsumer

I should think rain would be an immediate argument in favor of boots. Next would be fashion, unless you are a woodsman or work an oil rig.

Personally I have a hard time incorporating boots without invoking the generic, Made-in-USA, Americana look that I feel has run it's course over here. That being said, I could still go for a pair of Alden Indies or plain toe boots.

I just picked up some Chelseas made by Cheaney, in order to give the whole Hedi Slimane thing a go (not really - my jeans don't have holes).

I recognize that you are likely asking the question in regards to a more polished, formal look. I wear my shirts untucked, so cannot much speak to that, other than dress boots do go well with tweed and heavy wools in general.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
  17. ace13x

ace13x Senior member

Use Bourbon. Some like to alternate Walnut and Bourbon, so experiment.

18. Munky

Munky Senior member

Thank you, Who, this is a very comprehensive and useful response. It rains a lot where I live but I don't need to wear boots for any sort of work, but nor do I have to dress formally (I am retired). I suppose my preference, in boots, leans towards Cheaney rather than solid, all weather boots. One pair of my boots is a Loake, 1880, Burford, in Burgundy. The other is a pair of Dr Marten, 1460, dark blue, 8 eyelet, corrected grain, which I enjoyed wearing, today. I have my eye on a pair of Lollipop red, Tricker boots. My one problem with Tricker's, though, is how long they seem to take to wear in. Thanks, again. M.

19. stephenaf2003

stephenaf2003 Senior member

My answer really boils down to personal taste. I can't think of any practical reason why I prefer boots. I have twice as many boots as shoes, I tend to choose dressier as opposed to rugged styles. For my work it's business casual, so no jacket but I'll wear boots more than 2/3 of the time.

20. whorishconsumer

That would make a handsome collection. I especially like the Trickers. The Doc Martens are definitely an aesthetic more popular in the UK than over here, but I can see them being a good, durable boot. In all cases, I do think Dainite or commando soles allow for more practical wear.