• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

DW,
As I said, I don't have any shoes that NEEDED stretching. But I do have some that, after wearing for a while, are still tighter in the toes than I would like. So I stretch.

Generally speaking if shoes are tight in the toe there are only two reasons--the shoe is too short for your foot or your foot is too wide for the toe shape. Bear in mind that the toes stiffener takes up roughly 20-25% of the shoe and is, for all intents and purposes, unyielding. It is usually either plastic (or celastic--another form of plastic) or stiff veg tanned leather. Neither will stretch, one might try but the plastic will crack and the leather rip before any real ease can be effected. IMO...

[Parenthetically,@j ingevaldsson recently said that "Toe stiffener is plastic or celastic for pretty much all factory made RTW brands, even Edward Green, Gaziano & Girling and the likes." I don't keep track of what the factories do, so I have no reason to doubt it.]

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Gents, would anybody have a recommendation for Mrs. Hedonist? Driven mad with jealousy from my recent trickers acquisition, she now endeavors to find a pair of knee-length suede boots of similar quality (but sleeker of course). I fail to think of a recommendation for her. Any brands to get started looking at?

Other than getting a MTO pair of Saint Crispins, or some kind of bespoke boot, no, but that's a whole difference price point.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I asked this question in another thread, but this might be a better place for it. I have a pair of pigskin loafers that look great, but are still stiff after 1.5 years of wear (maybe 20-30 wears). Any idea on how to get them to soften up, or was this simply a bad choice for loafers?

TIA

Maybe pm kelicho? He has a pair of pig skin G&G.

Or alternatively, lard and a slow cooker.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I asked this question in another thread, but this might be a better place for it. I have a pair of pigskin loafers that look great, but are still stiff after 1.5 years of wear (maybe 20-30 wears). Any idea on how to get them to soften up, or was this simply a bad choice for loafers?

TIA

If they are not a real "dressy" shoe, something like R.M Williams Saddle Dressing or Lexol-nf will almost certainly help, esp. with time and repetition, but be aware such products can darken the leather...permanently.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have some. It is a lighter reno. Uses jojoba oil rather than mink oil. Doesn't impart as high of a shine as reno. For all of these reasons I tend to like it better.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd regard it as one of the best conditioner out there. Maybe when I'm done with Reno, I'm gonna use Creme Universelle and Lotion for cleaning and conditioning. At some point Reno is getting more like a pain **********.

Creme Universelle is safe for all types of leather, even synthetic, as far as I know.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads