1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. MikeChevelle

MikeChevelle Well-Known Member

I will check there too, thanks

2. dazedstate

dazedstate Senior member

The split toe are definitely preferable. Nordstrom rack come in about $15 during their "clear the rack" sales that pop up every month or two.

Also, woodlore is made by AE? Learned something new today thank you.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  3. tharkun

tharkun Senior member

Apparently a spinoff company they created to make their own trees but are supplying other brands and market directly as well.

4. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

the JAB ones are typically woodlore seconds - they often have a knot in the wood, or some problem with the suspension rod thing, or some chipped parts here and there. Still great value and no different in function.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2016
  5. Munky

Munky Senior member

Hello Sleepy, how are you keeping? I haven't seen or heard from you for a while! Hope all is well. M

6. Munky

Munky Senior member

A Fine Pair of Shoes is now selling SAPHIR MEDAILLE D'OR SOLE GUARD OIL - vegetable oil that you put on the soles of your shoes. Has anyone every used this and what are its advantages/disadvantages? It must have some fans, as the FPoS's first batch sold out very quickly.

Why would you want to put oil on your soles and what is likely to be the difference between this and cooking oil?

7. Dario65

Dario65 Senior member

Why? To make them more delicious. Maybe they'll add balsamic sole conditioner as complimentary product.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  8. Newberry

Newberry Senior member

What good cobbler does anyone here recommend in the Chicago area? In North Side Chicago and Northern Suburbs to be exact...

9. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

I asked a similar question a few months ago, someone recommended Brooks down in loop. Yet to take my shoes though.

At least on yelp there are several others that have better reviews...But I haven't read comments so take it with grain of salt.

10. sleepyinsanfran

sleepyinsanfran Senior member

I am well Munky. thank you for asking. hope you are well, and waling around in nicely-broken-in trickers

some people find it adds some waterproofing to leather soles, although I haven't bothered to try it. partly because of DWFII's insight that pit-tanned oak bark soles dont last particularly longer when oiled, and partly because I don't think I have the time to slather oil on soles already covered with dirt/dust (and perhaps embedding the dirt deeper into the sole)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
    2 people like this.
  11. Munky

Munky Senior member

I don't want to be seen as a brown noser, but I have learned almost all I know about shoe care from this site. With thanks and kind regards, Munky.

1 person likes this.
  12. chogall

chogall Senior member

Not all oil are the same. I for one won't cost my Japanese hand forged carbon steel knives with anything other than Camilla oil.

If anything, coat your shoe soles with natural oils on beef steak, pB style.

1 person likes this.
  13. Munky

Munky Senior member

Sorry, mistake!

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  14. Munky

Munky Senior member

"Why would you want to put oil on your soles and what is likely to be the difference between this and cooking oil?"

This line was meant to be irony...Sorry!

15. 1up

1up Senior member

Never got an answer for this - bump? :)

16. Munky

Munky Senior member

I don't know whether or not this is common knowledge, but it relates to the 'split toe', cedar wood shoe trees. A lot of them are adjustable. There are three screws along the outside of each shoe. Use these to expand or contract the toe-end of the shoe trees. I have found this to be very useful in helping to fit trees to shoes.

1 person likes this.
  17. mw313

mw313 Senior member

The ones from men's wear house that were posted aren't that bad and the heel area does go down to the bottom of the heel. It just isn't as wide as the woodlore/AE/Jos. A Banks. Those ones are a bit better by filling out the heel more plus when they are on sale they usually are between 8-12 dollars.

They are probably the best bet for the money unless you can buy lasted trees which are a ton more money.

18. Darkside

Darkside Senior member

What advantage does bick4 have for either calf or CXL?

19. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  20. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

@Darkside.

1. No waxes
    2. Oils really penetrates in the leather.
    3. It really conditions and smooths the leather.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016