• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Most leather you see is most likely chrome tanned because it is one of the quickest cheapest methods of tanning leather. Also the application of the leather dictates the type of tannage.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just because it is chrome tanned doesn't mean it is poor. Back in the day there was only vegetable, so there wasn't really a choice.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If for whatever reasons anyone decide to bleach leather, please remember that bleach takes hours to go into effect. Do not worry when color doesn't bleach out immediately; wipe it dry and let it set overnight.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just because it is chrome tanned doesn't mean it is poor. Back in the day there was only vegetable, so there wasn't really a choice.
No, Pat, I wasn't saying chrome is poor (french boxcalf was full chrome), I was saying that AE's calf quality isn't great. Not that all chrome leathers are poor. Our military used to use chrome leather for boots because full veg tanned leather boots rots in France.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

full veg tanned leather boots rots in France.

Why would it rot in France but not in England? It doesn't make sense...

Most outsole leather is full veg. One of the foremost tanneries of full veg outsoling is Baker Leather...in Colyton, Devon, England. Most of those outsoles live in London where, rumour has it, it's wet a lot. One way or the other veg tan has been around for a lot longer than chrome and survived worse than chrome has had time to be exposed to. The Meta Catarina Russia calf was underwater for two plus centuries.

The advantage that chrome has over veg is that it's faster to tan.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Will it do anything for shell?

Horween recommends Venetian Shoe Cream which has petroleum distillates in it, and is toxic. AFAIK, Bick4...while not edible is neither.

To answer your question more directly, I wouldn't hesitate to use it on shell. But I don't like shell and don't use it much...never have.

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why would it rot in France but not in England? It doesn't make sense...

Most outsole leather is full veg. One of the foremost tanneries of full veg outsoling is Baker Leather...in Colyton, Devon, England. Most of those outsoles live in London where, rumour has it, it's wet a lot. One way or the other veg tan has been around for a lot longer than chrome and survived worse than chrome has had time to be exposed to. The Meta Catarina Russia calf was underwater for two plus centuries.

The advantage that chrome has over veg is that it's faster to tan.
Sir, the first batch of the trench boots made for our troops during The First Great War (respectively WW1) was made of full vegetable pit tanned leather, including the sole. They later on had the upper chrome and veg retanned, and then on in the 60s full chrome to save money, as you said. But the Pershing boots were chromed veg retanned.

Come to think about it, though, you're more right than I am, because the troops had to stand in mud, dirt, and poisonous water more than we do.

Russia Calf, sir, was drenched in aromatic oil, which, I believe, was a great contribution.

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Sir, the first batch of the trench boots made for our troops during The First Great War (respectively WW1) was made of full vegetable pit tanned leather, including the sole. They later on had the upper chrome and veg retanned, and then on in the 60s full chrome to save money, as you said. But the Pershing boots were chromed veg retanned. 

Come to think about it, though, you're more right than I am, because the troops had to stand in mud, dirt, and poisonous water more than we do.

Russia Calf, sir, was drenched in aromatic oil, which, I believe, was a great contribution.

I don't know where I got it and it might be apocryphal but I seem to recall that there was a great scandal regarding the supplier of leather boots during the First World War esp. in Britain. Poor leather, poor workmanship.

Coats made of wool shoddy fell apart in the first heavy rain during the Am. Civil War. Does that mean wool is a subject to rot or to falling apart?

It's perhaps worth remembering that living human flesh rotted in the trenches, as well.

Regardless I'd place the record of vegetable tanned leather...which must go back a thousand years at least...against the record of chrome tanned leather and point out, forbye, that chrome tanning is inherently toxic and damaging to people and places. I know that's not the issue but it's inescapable.

--

Last edited:

traverscao

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't know where I got it and it might be apocryphal but I seem to recall that there was a great scandal regarding the supplier of leather boots during the First World War esp. in Britain. Poor leather, poor workmanship.

Regardless I'd place the record of vegetable tanned leather...which must go back a thousand years at least...against the record of chrome tanned leather and point out, forbye, that chrome tanning is inherently toxic and damaging to people and places. I know that's not the issue but it's inescapable.
Well, for the part of the scandal, did it happened in our boots supply in the US as well? I knew of our troops' bitter complains about British ammo boots, but the prime concern on our US boots were rotting issues.

Chrome tanned leather certainly is toxic and damaging. Imagine how long chrome or metal takes to be dispose of, and I cannot sleep well.

Personally, I would stick to vegetable tanned leather any day in the week, and any minutes in the hour. But it seems like they are getting rare (as of shoe leather, especially smooth calf).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads