1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

Looks like more of excess moisture ( mold ) or excessive polish-factory finish that is bubbling on the surface(cause of moisture) !! have you stored them in the bathroom?(especially near a radiator or heater )

Use a light cleaner (lexol or renovateur ll do the trick) if these are not enough go with renomat! Spoon it down a little -polish-buff and you ll be ready to go

2. manasdirge

manasdirge Senior member

I have several suede shoes that I love, however after a few months' wear the color seem to fade a little, anyone know how to prevent the fading or re-color it?

I have Saphirs suede renovateur, used it once and can't really tell if it works.

any comment is welcome! Thanks!

3. gsgleason

gsgleason Senior member

Was there drama I missed?

4. chogall

chogall Senior member

Fading at the creases is normal. Suede also loses color from suede shampoos.

Otherwise, use very stiff bristle brush or brass brush to raise the naps. Suede spray helps as well.

5. rbhan12

rbhan12 Senior member

Already posted, check a few pages back.

6. manasdirge

manasdirge Senior member

Thanks for replying, I am using crepe brushes, and I think suede spray can not be applied too often? the smell is not very pleasant.

I took care not to stain my shoes and Invulner spray have fended off small drops of water, so far they have never get that dirty to require shampoo washing.

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

Yeah I wouldn't OD on that suede spray. I use once per year; I own more than 20 pairs of shoes tho.

Brass brush raise the nap better than crepe. Crepe feels more like cleaning/brushing the top layer of suede and brass gets deep into the leather.

1 person likes this.
  8. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Member

Guys is the UGG care kit good for all suede shoes? Looking to protect some Lanvins. Also what would you guys recommend doing for some low top Balenciaga arenas? Should I be using moisturizer on the leather?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  9. Munky

Munky Senior member

Yes, there was a major falling out a month or two ago, that ended in tears.

10. Itsuo

Itsuo Senior member

I second this minus the Travers bit, I'd also appreciate more from you @Munky.

I'll try to post more as well.

11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

No tears, leastwise not that I saw (and I had my hanky ready to offer to anyone who needed it). Just a creeping sense of fatigue.

I think I can somewhat speak for pB when I wonder what in the world either of us can possibly offer that the e-experts and google gurus can't?

If every time a person reaches out...generously, esp. in pB's case...to offer advice that is based on a lifetime of real, objective, hands-on experience and they are contradicted and gain-sayed by people whose breadth and depth of knowledge is limited to "visiting shoe factories"...well, it's discouraging, is all I can say. It slowly erodes your faith in humanity and its capacity for rationality and objectivity.

Who needs it? I already, and long since, raised two teenagers. I did my time.

That said, I'll always talk to you, Munky...as the song says "just call out my name..."

4 people like this.
  12. daveinsweethome

daveinsweethome Well-Known Member

13. DWFII

:cheers:

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Actually, there was no fall out. Maybe some feelings were hurt when unverified but authoritatively-made claims were proven much exaggerated. Thus some very personal attacks thrown by some. Travers, on the other hand, somehow snapped and flipped randomly on some random posters.

Objective and rational discussions be damned. First, state your position, counter any opposition with argumentum ad hominem, and in the cases that didnt discourage the opposition, throw your decades of shoemaking experience around subjects, ranging from shoemaking, to orthotics making, all the way to chemistry and material science.

I asked for verification of pB's claim, that's all.

15. bdavro23

bdavro23 Senior member

16. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

How would I care for these shoes? They are the AE "Grid Iron."

[​IMG]

17. chogall

chogall Senior member

Like all other shoes. Use shoe horns to put them on, use shoe trees after wear, and occasionally condition and wax. Lexol/Bick4, any clear wax or mid brown wax will be fine.

18. shoelover

shoelover Senior member

Thanks

19. DWFII

As compared to what? Unsubstantiated blather? That's where you're coming from again and again. You argue with people without even knowing the basics. As I recall, you didn't even know what a "base" was when you started arguing with pB about alkalinity. Never sewn an inseam, English or otherwise, and yet you feel qualified to bloviate about a strictly cosmetic technique making the inseam tighter and more waterproof. I'll say it again...BOGUS!

And yes, indeed, the "argument" has to go "to the man"...esp. to the man who won't take responsibility for what he says. Who doesn't have any basis but pipe dreams and speculation to be prattling

That's what Asimov's famous quote means--people with no sense of responsibility insisting that their opinions are every bit as valid and worth listening to as someone who has actually walked the walk and done the work and earned the knowledge.

Once more for relevance:

--

2 people like this.
  20. Spartcom5

Spartcom5 Member

Any way to get creases out of the heel of a boot? Anyway to prevent it or is it inevitable?