• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

medinfoto

Reaction score
Hello all,

Hope I ended up in the right place. Just recently started appreciating nicer looking shoes, and so far only have some very modest dress shoes of no particular renown. However, I came across the below pair and could not resist them; I gather the brand--Edward Green--is quite decent and I do very much enjoy their looks. They are being sent to me via mail and ought to arrive tomorrow if all goes well.

However, being good quality shoes I want to ensure I treat them properly. My current shoes just see wiping off after use and a tin of Kiwi every couple of weeks, which seems to work well enough for them. These I imagine need a little more love though. Should I start with a clean and application of Saphir Renovateur? Also, there's a small stain on the left shoe (see pictures) which isn't something that would bother me, so is it best just to leave it and consider it part of their history?

Thanks in advance!

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
First...they need shoe trees...and they need to be brushed thoroughly.

Second...Reno might work well...since it is sort of a cleaner/conditioner.

Third...you could try to cover up that stain by applying some coats of cream polish over the course of several days...thinly apply a few coats per day...letting the shoes sit before adding each consecutive coat. But be warned...this will also alter the color of the shoes as they are now.

Fourth...finish it all off with a thin layer of wax polish to bring back the shine! Then brush thoroughly again.

Last edited:

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of my shoes have 1/4 rubber tip heels. Should they be repaired just before the rubber wears down or is it ok to go wearing them past the rubber element?

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it possible to replace just the dovetail (that little jigsaw piece) and not the entire leather sole? I would figure the cost to replace that little piece is significantly cheaper than replacing the entire sole, which would require a full resole.

Since that piece varies in different sizes by different makers, I'm guessing it's diifficult to find a cobbler who has inventory?

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A lot of my shoes have 1/4 rubber tip heels. Should they be repaired just before the rubber wears down or is it ok to go wearing them past the rubber element?

If you wear past the rubber you'll begin to wear away the leather base. While such damage can be repaired, short of entirely replacing the layer that has been damaged, it will always be a repair job and always in danger of deconstructing itself.

Is it possible to replace just the dovetail (that little jigsaw piece) and not the entire leather sole? I would figure the cost to replace that little piece is significantly cheaper than replacing the entire sole, which would require a full resole.

Since that piece varies in different sizes by different makers, I'm guessing it's diifficult to find a cobbler who has inventory?

If you're talking about the rubber piece on the heel, why would you need to replace the entire outsole if it is not damaged? The heel is separate. The toplift...whether it is constructed to have a rubber insert or not...is replaceable.

vestbash

Reaction score
No, the whole toplift comes in a single piece. It is not possible to replace just the dovetail (or other shape) insert.

JezeC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, great.

I guess one can just replace the toplift..should be much cheaper than a resole.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you, DWF, you were helpful, as always.

Given that the rubber quarter heel is quite thin - even when brand new - it strikes me that anyone a bit 'hard on their heels' is going to need a heel repair reasonably often. Would you recommend replacing the quarter heel or having a full, leather, replacement, when the time comes?

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you, DWF, you were helpful, as always. 

Given that the rubber quarter heel is quite thin - even when brand new - it strikes me that anyone a bit 'hard on their heels' is going to need a heel repair reasonably often. Would you recommend replacing the quarter heel or having a full, leather, replacement, when the time comes?

Such combination toplifts are a compromise. All leather heels wear even faster than with the rubber insert. But perhaps look better. Often cleats or iron nails are added to all leather heels to mitigate that wear. but of course they pose their own problems. Noise if nothing else.

You could have both the toplift and another lift removed and replace both with a 'half heel" of rubber. Or even have the whole stack removed and replaced with a "whole heel' of rubber. This gives good wear, naturally. But is almost a hallmark of cheap shoes. If only because they have to be nailed on with the nails penetrating and often damaging the insole.

Last edited:

BCer

Reaction score

Such combination toplifts are a compromise. All leather heels wear even faster than with the rubber insert. But perhaps look better. Often cleats or iron nails are added to all leather heels to mitigate that wear. but of course they pose their own problems. Noise if nothing else.

You could have both the toplift and another lift removed and replace both with a 'half heel" of rubber. Or even have the whole stack removed and replaced with a "whole heel' of rubber. This gives good wear, naturally. But is almost a hallmark of cheap shoes. If only because they have to be nailed on with the nails penetrating and often damaging the insole.

I had posted this sort of question over on the AE Appreciation thread, asking why these leather/rubber heels are even offered. Answer I got back was basically "it's indicative of better quality shoes". But that doesn't answer why? Is it just to say "ha ha ha ha, I've got leather on my heel as and you don't", or is it a historical thing that because once upon a time shoes were all leather, it's seen as high-end to have half-leather today? Is leather quieter, softer, harder wearing? Is there a practical reason? To me, living in a rainforest (Vancouver area), I've Topy'd a pair of shoes with the dovetail heels, but I really still have to be conscious of going outside when the pavement is damp, as the heel will turn mushy. So I've got a Topyd pair of fair-weather shoes, no? I'm not complaining, love the shoes, just curious. When the rubber part of the dovetail heel wears, I will undoubtedly replace with complete rubber heel pads. Appreciate any of the experts here chiming in! Thanks!

DWFII

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I had posted this sort of question over on the AE Appreciation thread, asking why these leather/rubber heels are even offered. Answer I got back was basically "it's indicative of better quality shoes". But that doesn't answer why?

It also takes more time and more skill to make a heel with a leather heel base and a leather toplift. Less time, less skill=lower quality...in anything.

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Unless of course brass nails are used.
Brass being a softer metal will wear at pretty much the same rate as the leather lift.
Because of that they won't slip or make noise.

medinfoto

Reaction score
First...they need shoe trees...and they need to be brushed thoroughly.

Second...Reno might work well...since it is sort of a cleaner/conditioner.

Third...you could try to cover up that stain by applying some coats of cream polish over the course of several days...thinly apply a few coats per day...letting the shoes sit before adding each consecutive coat. But be warned...this will also alter the color of the shoes as they are now.

Fourth...finish it all off with a thin layer of wax polish to bring back the shine! Then brush thoroughly again.

Shoe trees and wax polish should suffice

Thanks for the comments! They showed up today and I think the guy must've used a flash or other poor lighting to take pics of them because they don't look nearly as bad in person. I gave one a quick brushing and it looks quite nice already. No luck finding Saphir locally but I did track down a tin of burgundy Kiwi which looks like it ought to work fine...

Scottyb06

Reaction score
Question: I have 11 pairs of AE shoes and have always used shoe trees, cleaner/conditioner, and the appropriate colored AE polish for my shoes (sans suede shoes). Is there any real benefit for trying out Saphir? Will that get me anything that the AE polish doesn't already? I love the look of a patinated (sp?) leather!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics