• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nutcracker,
To be 100% you are suggesting using a brush on areas that one is attempting to bring up to a mirror? I've always heard otherwise.
Yes, a brush is great for shining in general. It creates a lovely shine. But for mirror toes it's a no no isn't it?

It really depend on the brush - specifically, the stiffness of the hair and the density of the hair. Softer and denser brushes are not that much rougher than old t-shirts/rags. For maintenance polishing on a mirror shine shoes/boots.

But to create the mirror/spit shine for the first time, nothing replaces an old t-shirts/rag.

So I picked up a pair of herring shoes in burgundy, but the color was a bit blah and lifeless, as well as being just a bit too uniform.
A few minutes with some black polish really brought out a great color:
IMG_0275.jpg

Try use Navy cream; it brings out better color and won't look as dull as black cream antiquing effects. Just IME.

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try use Navy cream; it brings out better color and won't look as dull as black cream antiquing effects.  Just IME.

although I'm VERY pleased with the outcome (wearing them today), I will look into the navy cream for future use.

thanks

Karl_in_Chicago

Reaction score

Any thoughts on where I can get 54" brown waxed laces? I've searched SF and the web with little luck. Went to two cobblers and local big box stores as well. Refurbing an old pair of RL boots (Coniston-like) that I found in the garage and want to ditch the hiking boot laces. Any thoughts on other types of laces that might look good for wool/chino/jeans? They last saw the light of day literally ~20 years ago when I was in middle school.

No personal experience but these appear to match what you are looking for.
http://www.hanksclothing.com/chippewa_wax_laces_black_54_inch_buy.html

mcbrown

Reaction score
Are the US-based Saphir Renomat devotees ordering it direct from Europe, or is there a US-based retailer that carries it? I can't seem to find it at any of the usual suspects. Many thanks...

Renton

Reaction score

end result. There is some spotting that is apparent in the pics but I think its due to the flash. You don't see it in person really. I'm very pleased.
IMG_0278.jpg

Keep in mind these shoes were about $180

Nicely done

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quad,

If you do choose to use navy cream polish (which I also recommend) do bear in mind that for some reason the pigmints in Meltonion Navy Cream are especially effective at dying the leather.

I've never had any problems using it over other layers of polish. But I recently applied a little to a pair that I had stripped of all wax and the navy cream REALLY soaked in.

Not saying not to use it. As it does indeed work nicely on brown/burgundy shoes. Just be careful to only use it on shoes that already have some wax on them.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Quad,
If you do choose to use navy cream polish (which I also recommend) do bear in mind that for some reason the pigmints in Meltonion Navy Cream are especially effective at dying the leather.
I've never had any problems using it over other layers of polish. But I recently applied a little to a pair that I had stripped of all wax and the navy cream REALLY soaked in.
Not saying not to use it. As it does indeed work nicely on brown/burgundy shoes. Just be careful to only use it on shoes that already have some wax on them.

Gdot, would you say the Meltonion is more effective in this regard than Saphir? Should I try on black shoes if I'm trying for a little navy in there?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never used the Saphir creams so I don't know. Sorry.

My Saphir experience so far is limited to Renovateur and the neutral paste wax. Both of which I very pleased with.

I have lots of colors of Meltonian laying around so it will likely be a while before I have occasion to try the Saphir Creams.

SHS

Reaction score

Any thoughts on where I can get 54" brown waxed laces? I've searched SF and the web with little luck. Went to two cobblers and local big box stores as well. Refurbing an old pair of RL boots (Coniston-like) that I found in the garage and want to ditch the hiking boot laces. Any thoughts on other types of laces that might look good for wool/chino/jeans? They last saw the light of day literally ~20 years ago when I was in middle school.

http://www.valmour.com/cleaning-leather-1/accessories-54-shoe-laces-193

Are the US-based Saphir Renomat devotees ordering it direct from Europe, or is there a US-based retailer that carries it? I can't seem to find it at any of the usual suspects. Many thanks...

I haven't had any luck either.

http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/

:)

NotClever

Reaction score
I'm not the person looking, but I don't believe hanger project has Renomat.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics