• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

a recent grad

Reaction score
I brought the shoes to him and he tried different trees, and he said that one was the best fit. Really he had only tried two or three and seemed to be guessing. The store from which i bought the shoes from recommended him. When i used the trees it seems like the shoe has stretched a few millimetres, and resulted in a few creases here and there

cinnabar

Reaction score
I could use some advice on two pairs of shoes. I'm attaching pics but basically there is a cracking appearance on both pairs. I've never had an issue like this with any other brands(these are the same brand). Initially I believed I had too much polish on it because build up would appear on the creases after minimal use, which I could brush off. I used saphir renovateur as suggested by customer service to clean it and then I used minimal amounts of polish with techniques suggested in this thread and they still have this sort of appearance. I'm not sure what my next step is.

benhour

Reaction score
I could use some advice on two pairs of shoes. I'm attaching pics but basically there is a cracking appearance on both pairs. I've never had an issue like this with any other brands(these are the same brand). Initially I believed I had too much polish on it because build up would appear on the creases after minimal use, which I could brush off. I used saphir renovateur as suggested by customer service to clean it and then I used minimal amounts of polish with techniques suggested in this thread and they still have this sort of appearance. I'm not sure what my next step is.

any info on the brand?
the micro cracks at the first pic looks like they are from the shoe trees!!(too thin back stretching the shoes at the top of the heel) or you are putting them on by pulling the back with your finger and not using a shoe horn!!

the second pair at the first pic looks like it is corrected grain but i am not sure maybe its the light!!

they all look like they are surface micro cracks (at the finish only and not something that cant be fixed)!!maybe they have been on the store for some time and the surface dried out

plz add some more photos from a little distance!!

what i have did once a had a similar problem(not so extended ) :

1) use renomat to clean the shoes(quick wipe ll be ok, not rub cause it ll take off factory finish)

2)use renovateur and massage it with finger (not cloth) in circular motions so no factory finish ll come of on the cloth and try to blend the color that renovateur ll take of in the creases(this ll be done by the massage) . dont over do it!!

3) use Dubbin and apply it on all the surface of the shoe!(1-2ml per shoe is what u ll need) leave shoes rest for about 24-36 hours(touch the surface and it must not be sticky)

dont brush between and after 1-2-3 steps!

4) apply a matching colored cream polish(not wax-not neutral ) preferably with your fingers or a polishing cloth!! wait for about 3-5 minutes(the time you ll need to go from the one shoe to the other ) and then brush!!

i think then you ll be ok!!! (these steps always if they are not corrected)

VegTan

Reaction score
An excessive amount of Kiwi polish was applied on the right shoe (red label), a minimum amount of Kiwi polish on the left shoe (blue label).

When someone does spit shine, the wax fills in the pours of the leather, is that bad as it stops the leather from breathing?

A reasonable number of thin coats of wax polish (~10-15) will still allow water vapor to pass, and therefore allow the shoes to breath. As you start to build up a thicker and thicker barrier you begin to suffocate the shoe leather.

Sorry for my poor English and I should have written "a reasonable amount of Kiwi polish on the left shoe".

The shoes for the experiment was polished by Mr. Matsumoto who was a shoeshiner at Hotel Okura Tokyo.

9ba5315d0bf9a40f769fa725be4a613d212857ac.jpg

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm supposed to use a pea sized amount of cream for the whole shoe? Or at a time?

Because if its for the whole shoe, I've been using way too much

barky

Reaction score
LL

the micro cracks at the first pic looks like they are from the shoe trees!!(too thin back stretching the shoes at the top of the heel) or you are putting them on by pulling the back with your finger and not using a shoe horn!!
Hi Benhour, I have a pair of G&G that look like this also. When the shoe trees are in they look fine (the lasted shoe trees are real snug) but when not, ie. when I wear them, it has that wrinkling, maybe finer. Should I take the above steps or be more worried? Thanks.

Chowkin

Reaction score
any info on the brand?

the second pair at the first pic looks like it is corrected grain but i am not sure maybe its the light!!

they all look like they are surface micro cracks (at the finish only and not something that cant be fixed)!!maybe they have been on the store for some time and the surface dried out

plz add some more photos from a little distance!!

what i have did once a had a similar problem(not so extended ) :

1) use renomat to clean the shoes(quick wipe ll be ok, not rub cause it ll take off factory finish)

2)use renovateur and massage it with finger (not cloth) in circular motions so no factory finish ll come of on the cloth and try to blend the color that renovateur ll take of in the creases(this ll be done by the massage) . dont over do it!!

3) use Dubbin and apply it on all the surface of the shoe!(1-2ml per shoe is what u ll need) leave shoes rest for about 24-36 hours(touch the surface and it must not be sticky)

dont brush between and after 1-2-3 steps!

4) apply a matching colored cream polish(not wax-not neutral ) preferably with your fingers or a polishing cloth!! wait for about 3-5 minutes(the time you ll need to go from the one shoe to the other ) and then brush!!

i think then you ll be ok!!! (these steps always if they are not corrected)

As Benhour said, looks like surface cracks only. Please see here for a discussion on a pair of AS with similar problem:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/303820/...tion-handgrade-exclusive-etc/420#post_6434207

benhour

Reaction score
Hi Benhour, I have a pair of G&G that look like this also. When the shoe trees are in they look fine (the lasted shoe trees are real snug) but when not, ie. when I wear them, it has that wrinkling, maybe finer. Should I take the above steps or be more worried? Thanks.

by what you are saying i can thing of that the leather is stretched when the shoe trees are in(as you said they are really snug) and when you take them of the leather shrinking back and forms that creases!! the only thing i can think of is you have to try keep the leather conditioned so it wont crack!generally i dont think you ll have a problem!some pics would be appreciated!!

completely new shoes a few weeks old, havent been worn. this is what happened after a week of shoe trees that were put in which had been sized by a cobbler. I am okay with the other creases but its just this huge stretch mark that is annoying the hell out of me. What can I do to reduce that mark?
definitely wrong shoe trees!! too big with thin heel makes the leather stretch too far!! there is a way to make creases go away but at the place where this crease is located i am not sure it would work!!(and if you havent done it before there is a big chance to damage the shoes) but for sure you have to take other shoe trees

maybe someone else can give a different perspective!!

hope i helped a little bit gents

a recent grad

Reaction score
Thanks, ive rung up another cobbler and shown him the photos, he said to leave it because eventually the shoes will crease anyway. Rather than risking rining it further with heat decreasing. It has left me depressed because of that mark though

a recent grad

Reaction score
I bought them for my upcoming graduation in 2 weeks time...

seems like im having badluck with shoes lately, ive just received a pair of wolverines and found that someone had ripped half of the insole off the midsole, im suspecting it was customs... hmmm. Another trip to the cobbler.

tom delgado

Reaction score
About suede shoes: when I find dirt that don't go away brushing I wash them with hair shampoo..the first time I tought "if this is delicate enought for my head it also be for my shoes". I find this works great. Any experiences?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics