1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. a recent grad

a recent grad Member

I brought the shoes to him and he tried different trees, and he said that one was the best fit. Really he had only tried two or three and seemed to be guessing. The store from which i bought the shoes from recommended him. When i used the trees it seems like the shoe has stretched a few millimetres, and resulted in a few creases here and there

2. cinnabar

cinnabar Well-Known Member

I could use some advice on two pairs of shoes. I'm attaching pics but basically there is a cracking appearance on both pairs. I've never had an issue like this with any other brands(these are the same brand). Initially I believed I had too much polish on it because build up would appear on the creases after minimal use, which I could brush off. I used saphir renovateur as suggested by customer service to clean it and then I used minimal amounts of polish with techniques suggested in this thread and they still have this sort of appearance. I'm not sure what my next step is.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. benhour

benhour Senior Member

any info on the brand?
    the micro cracks at the first pic looks like they are from the shoe trees!!(too thin back stretching the shoes at the top of the heel) or you are putting them on by pulling the back with your finger and not using a shoe horn!!

the second pair at the first pic looks like it is corrected grain but i am not sure maybe its the light!!

they all look like they are surface micro cracks (at the finish only and not something that cant be fixed)!!maybe they have been on the store for some time and the surface dried out

plz add some more photos from a little distance!!

what i have did once a had a similar problem(not so extended ) :

1) use renomat to clean the shoes(quick wipe ll be ok, not rub cause it ll take off factory finish)

2)use renovateur and massage it with finger (not cloth) in circular motions so no factory finish ll come of on the cloth and try to blend the color that renovateur ll take of in the creases(this ll be done by the massage) . dont over do it!!

3) use Dubbin and apply it on all the surface of the shoe!(1-2ml per shoe is what u ll need) leave shoes rest for about 24-36 hours(touch the surface and it must not be sticky)

dont brush between and after 1-2-3 steps!

4) apply a matching colored cream polish(not wax-not neutral ) preferably with your fingers or a polishing cloth!! wait for about 3-5 minutes(the time you ll need to go from the one shoe to the other ) and then brush!!

i think then you ll be ok!!! (these steps always if they are not corrected)

4. VegTan

VegTan Senior Member

Sorry for my poor English and I should have written "a reasonable amount of Kiwi polish on the left shoe".

The shoes for the experiment was polished by Mr. Matsumoto who was a shoeshiner at Hotel Okura Tokyo.

[​IMG]

5. venividivicibj

venividivicibj Stylish Dinosaur

I'm supposed to use a pea sized amount of cream for the whole shoe? Or at a time?

Because if its for the whole shoe, I've been using way too much

6. barky

barky Senior Member

Hi Benhour, I have a pair of G&G that look like this also. When the shoe trees are in they look fine (the lasted shoe trees are real snug) but when not, ie. when I wear them, it has that wrinkling, maybe finer. Should I take the above steps or be more worried? Thanks.

7. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior Member

As Benhour said, looks like surface cracks only. Please see here for a discussion on a pair of AS with similar problem:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/303820/...tion-handgrade-exclusive-etc/420#post_6434207

8. a recent grad

a recent grad Member

a

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

9. benhour

benhour Senior Member

by what you are saying i can thing of that the leather is stretched when the shoe trees are in(as you said they are really snug) and when you take them of the leather shrinking back and forms that creases!! the only thing i can think of is you have to try keep the leather conditioned so it wont crack!generally i dont think you ll have a problem!some pics would be appreciated!!

definitely wrong shoe trees!! too big with thin heel makes the leather stretch too far!! there is a way to make creases go away but at the place where this crease is located i am not sure it would work!!(and if you havent done it before there is a big chance to damage the shoes) but for sure you have to take other shoe trees

maybe someone else can give a different perspective!!

hope i helped a little bit gents

10. barky

barky Senior Member

Thanks Benhour.

11. a recent grad

a recent grad Member

Thanks, ive rung up another cobbler and shown him the photos, he said to leave it because eventually the shoes will crease anyway. Rather than risking rining it further with heat decreasing. It has left me depressed because of that mark though

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Maybe being a recent grad you're projecting the end of "the best years of your life" onto your shoes?

13. a recent grad

a recent grad Member

I bought them for my upcoming graduation in 2 weeks time...

seems like im having badluck with shoes lately, ive just received a pair of wolverines and found that someone had ripped half of the insole off the midsole, im suspecting it was customs... hmmm. Another trip to the cobbler.

14. tom delgado

tom delgado Well-Known Member

About suede shoes: when I find dirt that don't go away brushing I wash them with hair shampoo..the first time I tought "if this is delicate enought for my head it also be for my shoes". I find this works great. Any experiences?

15. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member