1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. glenjay

glenjay Senior Member

A reasonable number of thin coats of wax polish (~10-15) will still allow water vapor to pass, and therefore allow the shoes to breath. As you start to build up a thicker and thicker barrier you begin to suffocate the shoe leather.

Also, keep in mind that the majority of the moisture evaporating through the shoe leather as you wear them is going through the quarters and vamp, where your feet have the most contact with the shoe upper. This is just one reason you should not have a lot of paste/wax polish on the vamp or quarters of your shoes.

The toe puff (on the style of shoe you would spit shine) is also going to impede evaporation through the toe (even more so if it's a plastic toe puff).

Another thing to note is that a fair amount of perspiration remains in the shoe liner and insole and is absorbed into the more porous shoe tree wood, and/or evaporates into open air, when the shoes are taken off and stored.

2. glenjay

glenjay Senior Member

Even though these are probably $200 to $400 women's shoes, and while I believe they are leather, I am pretty sure they are corrected grain. This poses a bit of a problem for you, as I suspect the stain is in the finish.

I am also not sure if this is just an oil stain. Can you find out the source of the stain?

RenoMat (or acetone) may be your only real option here, and it will probably remove the finish. This could damage the shoes depending on the type, quality and depth of correction that was used. Just my opinion of course.

The only other thing I can think of is to use a little pure orange oil on the spot to see if it will pull it out of the finish.

3. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Thanks for the info and yeah she doesn't know where the stain is from. It's corrected grain as you said which is why I was hesitant to use Renomat on them. I'll try the pure orange oil

4. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

The Munky Inverse Shoe Cost Law: your cheapest shoes will be your most comfortable and your dearest will be your most uncomfortable. Caveat: the law does not apply in all cases.

5. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

cheers for the detailed reply! :happy:

6. gyasih

gyasih Distinguished Member

Have any of you ever designed your own shoe valet? I am coming up with a concept for one. I realize I have more stuff than I thought and need to organize it better. Now just need to find a good work worker in NY.

7. epc2

epc2 Senior Member

Guys please check these pics. And lmk what do you think , these are shell cordovan , the left shoe started to lose shine and look dull , it started like a spot and then after damp cloth and lots of brushings it looks opaque and with a redish tone , the other shoe is fine and shiny but this one doesn't get any shine! Do you think some Saphir or Venetian will help ? Or is this a finish problem? Shoes are just 3 months old and have been cared , no rain always shoe trees etc.

Started like this.[​IMG]

And now it looks like this

[​IMG]

8. benhour

benhour Senior Member

have you left the shoes in the sun for a long time or they were a floor model? i think some renovateur and a matching cream polish ll fix the discoloration!
    btw someone with more experience on shell can give a different approach to the problem!!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013

9. epc2

epc2 Senior Member

No sun for long time and not a floor model.

Thanks.

10. a recent grad

a recent grad Member

Hi guys, Ive recently bought a pair of cheaneys, i went to the cobblers and bought shoe trees for it. after a week of shoe tree use, the shoes had a 2cm long horizontal stretch mark on the side of one shoe and a few wrinkles. i have sent cheaney an email and they told me to just leave the shoe and hope the marks will fade. it has faded about half way after a week, but i wonder if there was a way to lesson the stretch mark even more? it looks like an out of place crease mark on the side of the shoe. the shoes are completely unworn.

11. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

Has anyone tried Vectra 16 for their suede shoes? Nick at Horween recommended it a while back.

My can of AE spray ran out after treating four pairs of boots. The Nano spray YouTube video was quite impressive but $17 for four boots (about same size as the AE can) seems a bit much especially when it presumably doesn't last that long and has to be re-applied.

12. OREO

OREO Senior Member

I use Tarrago nano spray, and trust me its worth it! I haven't found that i need to reapply it often.

13. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior Member

Nothing lasts for ever, and has to be re-applied...; $17 for 4 boots is not outrageous IMHO, given the price of the boots

14. BootSpell

BootSpell Distinguished Member

I might just have to try some. Thanks for the feedback.

I guess I'm just cheap (penny-wise and pound foolish??). I just might buy both the AE and Nano and compare them to decide what to use going forward.

15. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

Once it's stretched, very hard to go back, use a bit of cream and wax to hide it. How did you buy a wrong sized shoe tree from a cobbler?