1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

You may find that alcohol doesn't do it...won't remove the top coat. At least not without a lot of scrubbing. Nor would I recommend petrol, turpentine or mineral spirits. A lot of this depends on the type of top coat and what it is comprised of.

I'm not familiar with Renomat in actual usage but I suspect it would be your best bet. And no harm no foul if not entirely successful.

Of course, actual leather deglazer is the sure-fire way to remove finish and top coat although it is wise to recondition after using any highly evaporative product. As an alternative acetone.

And be sure to deglaze out of doors where you're not breathing the fumes.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Renomat is insanely effective at removing layers of polish, more so than pure acetone. I know it has acetone in it, but there is some other chemical in it that separates a bit in the bottle when still that when you shake it and mix it together it creates some sort of reaction that is really remarkable.

3. chogall

chogall Senior member

IME, leather deglazer has the strongest striping strength, than renomat, dye preparer, acetone, renovateur, and than rubbing alcohol.

One method to strip is to apply strong solution one or two times, and use only weak solutions to strip away most of the color/dye. Make sure leather is dry or you risk damaging the top grain.

4. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Do you guys use bare hands/fingers for applying renovateur? I used to then read some stuff here and got scared. So then I tried with latex (doctor) gloves but it's not as easy, so then tried with a cloth which works but still not as easy.

I'm now scared of chemicals in all of the Saphir and Collonil 1909 products I own after the on-going "scientific" debates here. I think from now I'm going to polish shoes while wearing a mask and gloves at all times.

5. RogerP

RogerP Senior member

Quote:I swipe a bag of my wife's makeup pads - they are kind of like a soft, dense foam - works great for applying creams and paste wax as well as Renovateur and Cordovan Cream.

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

Quote:

7. Munky

Munky Senior member

A lot of Saphir products contain turpentine, to which I am allergic. If I use them in the house, I find myself having difficulty breathing. Collonil products vary in their use of turpentine. Without going through them all, I have observed that some do contain turpentine and some don't. Collonil products are also very good.

I have found that products containing turpentine dry my hands out. I'm not going to start wearing rubber gloves but it pays to be aware of what is in some of these products. I have reflected on the idea that if they dry my hands out, what are they doing to my shoes?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  8. patrickBOOTH

I use my hands for anything. I lick a waxed finger for mirror shining. Meh.

9. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

T-shirts ftw.

@RIDER - do you have pics of the Gatsby button boots?

10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

If I have a bespoke shoe made by a top quality maker and wear it twice per month with no care and only brushing...and only in impeccable weather...and always storing it properly with shoes, out of heat, etc....how long will it last? 20 years?

11. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Maybe if they are shell. Calf will always need some frequent conditioning to last that long no matter how infrequently you wear them.

12. RIDER

RIDER Senior member

No, I wasn't in the factory when they went on their way, but this pair was used as the model:

[​IMG]

This actual pair belongs to someone around these parts....did it some years ago. Most for the film were brown combo's if I remember correctly, and we had to do 16 pair for the lead.....forget his name. We first did these for Boardwalk Empire, but with working button holes. Provided a disaster as they couldn't get them off and on with changes as easily as they had hoped. If we have to make these up now the elastic loop is the way to go.

13. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Very cool @RIDER ...what about those little hooks that they use specifically for the button boots though to get them on and off?

@jerrybrowne - suppose you are right about the conditioning...if only the world was perfect

14. jungleroller

jungleroller Senior member

Wasn't this covered a few pages back?

15. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

Depending on the leather and the tanning, probably 20 and then some. I've seen boots that were forty years old and still being worn and no special care. No abuse but no babying either.

All things being equal--tanning, currying, etc., calf is no worse than any any other leather and better than some.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  16. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

Really not a direct comparison. Actually, never mind. It's really not worth effort addressing this....

17. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I'd like to get a constructive investigation going on leather conditioners...since they seem to come up a lot

This is what I am thinking.

Conditioners:

1. Lexol

2. Bick4

3. GlenKaren

4. Saphir Renovateur

If you have used any of these products please mention the following

1. Experience using the product.
    2. Results from use of the product
    3. Method you used to apply product
    4. Would you use this product again?

If you have used multiple of these products, please repeat for each product. ALSO, please provide which is your preferred...and pros/cons of using one versus another.

If you feel that a different product should be added, please feel free to do so.
    If you feel that more information should be provided than what I have requested, feel free to do so as they are guidelines.

18. patrickBOOTH

This thread is exhausting, it's the same shit over and over again. You're asking for a lot of work, especially since every question you are asking answers and experiences exist in this thread and pretty recently too. Even in just the past few months. Doing a thread search with those products as key words would be a good place to start.

19. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

There is no best, it all it all boils down to you, how you use it, when you use it on which leather you use it. You will get the best feedback by buying all four and experimenting by yourself.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  20. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

Doesn't necessary have to be Bespoke, I have a pair of SAS that I dont baby sit neither do I abuse and it still looks good after 15 years and easily good for another 10.
    I have been told that with Vass if you take care of them it will last you a lifetime with care and rotation and I do tend to believe it.

Unless you wear these shoes in rain, ice and snow w/o proper protection I cant see how good shoes can have a short lifespan.