• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrChris

Reaction score
I can't seem to get a mirror shine on the toes of my new EG Chelsea's (black calf). I've used the same procedure that has been sucessfull for my other shoes: A couple of layers of Saphir Creme Pommadier mixed with a drop of water every now and then, followed by several layers of Saphir Pate De Luxe combined with a few drops of water.
I've even applied more layers of wax than normally (5-6 this time) and still not even the slightest sign of a mirror shine. Any tips besides continuing with more small layers of wax combined with water drops?
Usually once done with the layers of the creme, the mirror has started to appear, this time nothing. I'm thinking that might be the problem.
It's a bit frustrating since I've usually been able to achieve a mirror shine with less effort.

niklasnordin

Reaction score
Some deer bone action on my Crockett and Jones Finsbury 2 dark brown cordovan.
This is the first time I have ever used it, so I was a bit sceptical, but after watching some instructional
videos on youtube I have to admit that it seems to work :)
I have only used the bone and the brush.

Wife came and in and asked me if she could use the bone for the wrinkles in her face :)

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
andrew-dice-clay-oh-o.gif

BCer

Reaction score
Guys, these are on ebay, for a stupid-low price. They have an obvious serious defect. Any input into whether they could be treated hard, and salvaged as a bad-weather sort of shoe? Copious amounts of Reno or leather lotion? Or will they disintegrate anyway? Interested to hear your input.

benhour

Reaction score
Thanks to the great links and advice scattering this thread by patrick, benhour, david, etc.

Santoni Quentin:

Allen Edmonds Independence Rush:

thank you for your kind words!! i thing we all here try to help each other!

nice work on your shoes!!
Guys, these are on ebay, for a stupid-low price. They have an obvious serious defect. Any input into whether they could be treated hard, and salvaged as a bad-weather sort of shoe? Copious amounts of Reno or leather lotion? Or will they disintegrate anyway? Interested to hear your input.

this looks like a glue stain!!(that's why the leather cracked so easily there)! if its glue ( like one sec super bond) leather cant be saved!! it ll crack!!
i wouldn't go for it!!

Last edited:

BCer

Reaction score
Yes it's the Allen Edmonds Ashbury, and I'm too worried now to take a chance on them. If they lose their integrity in the heel area, they're useless. Thanks for your advice benhour!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I used my feet to stretch them. I found I needed to repeat the process a couple of times. Saphire suggest
- Shake well before using and spray downwards generously, onto and inside the shoe. Afterwards, walk normally and repeat if necessary.
I'm not sure how thick the 'liners and stiffeners' are. I used the product on fairly heavy brogues.
Usually shoe stretching sprays are just rubbing alcohol, water, and maybe some other staff. Maybe saphir has their own secret recipe. Either way, I think it's probably necessary to clean and condition after stretching just to replenish the extracted fat from the alcohols.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads