**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. David Copeland

David Copeland Senior member

Originally from Newport Beach - Now living in West
    My "guess" would be to determine what caused the stain. Water is one thing, oils are another, and there are some better experts in this thread who have seen it all and have worked with a number of stains.

(I was hoping to help you in a either getting a free refund or return based on what the listing may have stated. If the photo you posted is one of the photos in the listing, then perhaps the original seller would know how the stain happened)

2. masernaut

masernaut Senior member

^
    Probably best to return the shoes.

I don't believe I caught this while following this thread for the past few months, but how does one clean/condition/polish the punched holes on a shoe? Any tips regarding this? I've got a pair of dry-ish shell longwings that I'd like to condition before putting them on.
    I tried a small horsehair dauber to tackle the job and it didn't work too well. It just used more Renovateur than I'd like to waste.

3. David Copeland

An ultra-thin cotton swab usually does the trick (according to the professional shiners at http://ashineandco.com/

Below is a video of an example (you will see him work the punched holes at 36 seconds into the video:

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  4. Munky

Munky Senior member

David, you are suggesting that this is what your shoes looked like after they were polished by the supplier. So is this really you? Or did you just happen to have a model to hand after you bought them?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  5. chogall

chogall Senior member

Spread from the smooth areas to the brouging areas so the holes traps minimal amount. Cloth is easier to work with than daubers.

Lexol the shells.

6. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think that is David, but rather the marketing image for the shoes. Based on what David writes here I suspect he is a bit older than that guy.

7. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

That's definitely a marketing image. I believe it belongs to Nordstrom. The boots sitting on the logs are David's.

8. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll check with Avel to see if they have a product specifically for water damage. There is a high degree of likelihood that the Saphir Hiver-Winter Salt & Snow Stain Remover would work. Avel states that it "eliminates water, salt, snow and perspiration stains on smooth leather, suede and nubuck." Since it's a relatively obscure product, I don't have much experience with it. But Avel claims that it works really well. I'll PM you about it.
    In the seven years that we've been shipping internationally with USPS, we've never once had them pay out a single claim. USPS insurance, in my opinion, is a huge fraud. Better off sending the shoe back to the seller if you can't fix them.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  9. David Copeland

That's correct, and thank you for the clarity.

I have edited the original post to indicate the bottom tw photos are sample images.

My best to you,

David

10. Beach Bum

Beach Bum Senior member

Well I finally went ahead and purchased various Saphir products (with help from Kirby). Completed my first cleaning/shine last night on two pairs shown here. Still a lot to learn of this craft, but in meantime feel I have a good feeling for what I'm doing. Only applied two small coats of wax with a drop of water after each. In future shines maybe I'll apply another coat or two if want a higher mirror gloss.

I also need a better cloth to buff at the end. I have an old polyester golf shirt turned shine cloth, but it's not as soft as I would like.

In past I have used meltonian shoe creams (not on these shoes as this was first conditioning/shine on both), saphir is a very nice upgrade. So far I have used very little of each product (renovateur, cream, wax), I'm sure I'll get my money's worth this way. Thanks to the great links and advice scattering this thread by patrick, benhour, david, etc.

Santoni Quentin:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Allen Edmonds Independence Rush:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. patrickBOOTH

I have never used a cloth to buff my shoes after polishing. In my experience using a cloth to buff actually disturbs the finish. Quick but light brushing as always turned a better shine.

12. Numbernine

Numbernine Senior member

Really ? I find a cloth buffing lifts the shine a notch. I don't use though as I prefer the look of a brushed finish

13. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I use a microfiber glove, the shine enhances noticeably.

14. patrickBOOTH

Then again a factor that I have thought about is my brush is very old and soft. The bristles are much softer than any new brush I have felt. Perhaps the softer bristles and quick, but light brushing acts in a similar manner as a cloth buff.

15. Munky

Munky Senior member

I would recommend Selvyt cloths, although I doubt whether the type of cloth is particularly critical. The said cloths have two sides, one to apply the cream or wax and the other to polish. They improve with washing. They are readily available here in the UK. I am not sure about buying them in the US.