• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

lullemans72

Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply.

Check with the vintage shoe tread lads, they have tons of experience and might have a more accurate answer. They are very nice people and always happy to help.

Regards
Thanks for getting back to me. Sure, I'll try that. Not sure where the thread is located on the forum but I'll try to search.

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. Sure, I'll try that. Not sure where the thread is located on the forum but I'll try to search.

page-3167

Hello, the name of the thread is:

VINTAGE DRESS SHOE APPRECIATION, TIPS, MAINTENANCE AND ADVICE

cheers

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question on Saphir's suede protectant. How often does it need to be reapplied?

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cleaning my wife's shoes plus my Tricker's Stow

IMG_9925.jpeg

Phan84

Reaction score
1st post in this thread. Recently purged a lot of my old shoes and just bought my 1st pair of Crockett & Jones - dark brown suede Cavendish. I bought a new rubber suede brush. The person at C & J told me I basically just need that, saphir water proof spray, and dark brown spray (down the road). Buying some new Woodlore ultra trees as well.

Is there anything else I need besides a brushing with the rubber brush after wearing and a pre spray with the water proof Saphir?

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_0046.jpeg
    IMG_0046.jpeg
    282.8 KB · Views: 84

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1st post in this thread. Recently purged a lot of my old shoes and just bought my 1st pair of Crockett & Jones - dark brown suede Cavendish. I bought a new rubber suede brush. The person at C & J told me I basically just need that, saphir water proof spray, and dark brown spray (down the road). Buying some new Woodlore ultra trees as well.

Is there anything else I need besides a brushing with the rubber brush after wearing and a pre spray with the water proof Saphir?

Thanks!

Not for a long while, at least. You might want a suede conditioner down the road, but that isn't something to worry about now.

avivby

Reaction score
These suede loafers from Carmina (this model) got these grey areas at the front of the toes in about 10 wears. They were my first suede loafers so I didn't know what to compare it to, but it hasn't happened with any of my others.
Is there any way to remove it?

Attachments

• IMG_4282.jpeg
    IMG_4282.jpeg
    289.3 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4283.jpeg
    IMG_4283.jpeg
    344 KB · Views: 190
  • IMG_4284.jpeg
    IMG_4284.jpeg
    313.7 KB · Views: 258
Last edited:

CWV

Reaction score
I’ll be travelling 5 weeks in Europe. As part of it I’ll be attending a wedding Wherein I’ll be obliged to wear suit and dress Shoes. Here is my question. How important is to take shoe trees if I’ll be only using the shoes one day in all the teip? ,y best shoes are my Vass which are quite heavy with shoe trees included.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ll be travelling 5 weeks in Europe. As part of it I’ll be attending a wedding Wherein I’ll be obliged to wear suit and dress Shoes. Here is my question. How important is to take shoe trees if I’ll be only using the shoes one day in all the teip? ,y best shoes are my Vass which are quite heavy with shoe trees included.

Just stuff em with socks.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
These suede loafers from Carmina (this model) got these grey areas at the front of the toes in about 10 wears. They were my first suede loafers so I didn't know what to compare it to, but it hasn't happened with any of my others.
Is there any way to remove it?

Have you tried a suede eraser?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, though not aggressively. Was afraid there’s “too much erasing” possible?

I don't think the suede eraser can damage the suede unless you're talking about friction burns. I think it is more or less meant to take out as much dirt as possible.

I'd do it incrementally and see how it works.

Suede can be quite stubborn to clean.

avivby

Reaction score
I don't think the suede eraser can damage the suede unless you're talking about friction burns. I think it is more or less meant to take out as much dirt as possible.

I'd do it incrementally and see how it works.

Suede can be quite stubborn to clean.
Thanks, I gave it a shot and it does look better. After a few minutes, the color is less grey but it seems as if some of the suede there has gotten "shorter" (the "nap"?). I don't believe this happened now but was already there. Perhaps somehow in my walking, that spot got extra friction with something? Still weird, as it hasn't happened with any of my other loafers.

florent

Reaction score
Thanks, I gave it a shot and it does look better. After a few minutes, the color is less grey but it seems as if some of the suede there has gotten "shorter" (the "nap"?). I don't believe this happened now but was already there. Perhaps somehow in my walking, that spot got extra friction with something? Still weird, as it hasn't happened with any of my other loafers.
That's called bald suede and is very common with time, you can try to bring back the nap with the green side of a sponge, or even sandpaper with moderate pressure

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads