• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Mannion

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old pair of Oxfords, where the tongue has started to slip down and the laces come undone. Are the shoes coming to their end, do they no longer fit me for some reason, or is this something I'm doing? My other shoes don't do this.

florent

Reaction score
I have a 12 year old pair of Oxfords, where the tongue has started to slip down and the laces come undone. Are the shoes coming to their end, do they no longer fit me for some reason, or is this something I'm doing? My other shoes don't do this.
You can have the tong stitched to one side to keep it in place, very basic operation at any cobbler. I'm not sure what you mean by the laces comes undone, is the knot coming undone?

Mannion

Reaction score
You can have the tong stitched to one side to keep it in place, very basic operation at any cobbler. I'm not sure what you mean by the laces comes undone, is the knot coming undone?
Yes, the knot comes undone - even if I have a very tight knot (even a double knot). Is there a reason why the tongue sliding would only happen now and not the previous 10 or 11 years I have had them? Could the leather have deformed so they no longer fit properly?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the knot comes undone - even if I have a very tight knot (even a double knot). Is there a reason why the tongue sliding would only happen now and not the previous 10 or 11 years I have had them? Could the leather have deformed so they no longer fit properly?

Get new waxed laces and see if it still messes up.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you get candle wax (from Easter mass, not personal engagements lol) off suede?

I tried a suede eraser and brush but it did not work.

Would something as simple as Kiwi suede cleaner work? Or do you have a better recommendation for cleaning? I have also a stain of unknown origin on the toe.

florent

Reaction score
How do you get candle wax (from Easter mass, not personal engagements lol) off suede?

I tried a suede eraser and brush but it did not work.

Would something as simple as Kiwi suede cleaner work? Or do you have a better recommendation for cleaning? I have also a stain of unknown origin on the toe.
I've never tried it myself but if I remember correctly, a way would be to use an iron with some tissue paper between to melt the wax and let the paper absorb it. Good Luck!

lullemans72

Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question about an uneven shine on my shoes.

I was trying to give the toe cap on one of my black pair of shoes a bit of a shine, so I gave both shoes a few coats of Saphir Medaille D'or neutral wax polish. After a few coats, the left shoe started shining more already, but the right shoe looked the same as before. I added several more coats of Saphir on the right shoe, but still no luck. I then resorted to more powerful tools by busting out my tin of Saphir mirror gloss. I added a few coats of that with a bit of the regular Medaille D'or polish and thought that would do the trick...but to my surprise, the right shoe hadn't changed a bit.

I've polished these shoes plenty of times in the past without issues, ranging from a few simple coats of wax polish all the way to mirror shines, so this is a first for me.

Does anyone know what the cause is of this and how I can fix it?

Attachments

• IMG_20230417_085944.jpg
    IMG_20230417_085944.jpg
    241.3 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_20230417_085924.jpg
    IMG_20230417_085924.jpg
    190.5 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have a question about an uneven shine on my shoes.

I was trying to give the toe cap on one of my black pair of shoes a bit of a shine, so I gave both shoes a few coats of Saphir Medaille D'or neutral wax polish. After a few coats, the left shoe started shining more already, but the right shoe looked the same as before. I added several more coats of Saphir on the right shoe, but still no luck. I then resorted to more powerful tools by busting out my tin of Saphir mirror gloss. I added a few coats of that with a bit of the regular Medaille D'or polish and thought that would do the trick...but to my surprise, the right shoe hadn't changed a bit.

I've polished these shoes plenty of times in the past without issues, ranging from a few simple coats of wax polish all the way to mirror shines, so this is a first for me.

Does anyone know what the cause is of this and how I can fix it?

I have found that sometimes shoe leather has uneven behavior, eventhough it comes from very respected brands.

If I were in your shoes I will just brush them a lot with a very good brush (horse hair, goat hair). Applying more wax might not be the best option. Justin Fitzpatrick (The Shoe Snob) describes it very well in this post: what-is-a-mirror-shine

I hope this helps, regards

prof.contingency

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Edge and heel question:

What product do I use to make my edges look like they used to? I was going to sand them down a bit and then apply a brown edging but I don't want them too dark. Any product suggestions appreciated!
This is a two-part job. Part 1: You will need some sort of pigmentation, which any old product, like the the Edge Kote will do (@Frozenhaze kindly linked to this). Part 2: But you will also need something to mechanically re-address the shape of the edge. This means changing flattening the exterior face of the sole edge and removing out all the bumps, nicks, and other imperfections.

The Paul Brunngard Sole Edge Iron tool will do this. We have a new video out on how its used. Coincidentally, we just released a video on this:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, what would I use on this? It looks like a combination of scratches and dryness. They are Common Project sneakers in navy blue.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 60DE8954-D538-47F9-9958-CFAADDE3253D.jpeg
    60DE8954-D538-47F9-9958-CFAADDE3253D.jpeg
    224.3 KB · Views: 126

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, what would I use on this? It looks like a combination of scratches and dryness. They are Common Project sneakers in navy blue.
Thanks in advance!

If the sneakers are calf, use a matching shoe cream.

lullemans72

Reaction score
I have found that sometimes shoe leather has uneven behavior, eventhough it comes from very respected brands.

If I were in your shoes I will just brush them a lot with a very good brush (horse hair, goat hair). Applying more wax might not be the best option. Justin Fitzpatrick (The Shoe Snob) describes it very well in this post: what-is-a-mirror-shine

I hope this helps, regards
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I checked the post you linked to, but it just seems to be about the mirror shine, which is not at all related to the issue I posted about...

JUAN MANUEL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey man, thanks for the reply. I checked the post you linked to, but it just seems to be about the mirror shine, which is not at all related to the issue I posted about...

Sorry for the late reply.

Check with the vintage shoe tread lads, they have tons of experience and might have a more accurate answer. They are very nice people and always happy to help.

Regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads