• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score

marlinspike

Reaction score
Aha! They are in fact museum brown, which adds some complication.
Ok, went back and found the pic. I would try tobacco brown and light brown, and paint where needed with a toothpick, and if you have the patience to go over it with many many coats use a cloth that has very little nap wrapped tightly around something flat (like a credit card) to wipe each layer away after you apply it. It shrinks as it dries, so doing it this way that leaves no excess takes a while but in my experience looked best.

That said with them being Lobbs you might first reach out to Lobb and the Elegant Oxford guy to see if they think they could do something especially good with it.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, went back and found the pic. I would try tobacco brown and light brown, and paint where needed with a toothpick, and if you have the patience to go over it with many many coats use a cloth that has very little nap wrapped tightly around something flat (like a credit card) to wipe each layer away after you apply it. It shrinks as it dries, so doing it this way that leaves no excess takes a while but in my experience looked best.

That said with them being Lobbs you might first reach out to Lobb and the Elegant Oxford guy to see if they think they could do something especially good with it.

Spoke with Lobb and they recommended what you all have been - a pigmented cream. The individual I spoke with noted that the incision was not too deep and positioned in a location that shouldn't receive stress, so he did not have concerns for it getting worse.

Thanks again.

Warrant_Buffet

Reaction score
(Alert: question from an idiot)
Are my shoes destroyed? Here's what went down:
So after a few scuffs ruined the mirror shine, I decided to apply more wax on the wax layer instead of stripping it, but I eventually did - with baking soda and water - after finding the toe box router than usual.
Things went way downhill since. Almond and castor oil, cream and wax, brush and buff - and the shoe wouldn't take the wax (the wax ended up on the cloth when I tried to buff it). Eventually I went with saddle soap a few times and the toe turned... rough, for the lack of a better word.
Think I might've broken through the factory finish too.
Is there anything I can do to salvage it?
20210116_222542.jpg

fini

Reaction score
I’ve recently purchased a pair of Trickers Stow boots. They’re shrunken grain and Taupe in colour:
85459C3A-9B04-4366-8670-53881786032C.jpg

I’d love some advice as to how to care for them.

I wondered whether Saphir Beige cream would be a close enough colour match, though suspect I’d be best off going with neutral?

Given the shrunken grain I assume I should stay away from a hard polish?

If I stuck some Saphir Super Invulner on them would I get away with wearing them in the wet or, given the colour, should I just pull them out on dry days?

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Alert: question from an idiot)
Are my shoes destroyed? Here's what went down:
So after a few scuffs ruined the mirror shine, I decided to apply more wax on the wax layer instead of stripping it, but I eventually did - with baking soda and water - after finding the toe box router than usual.
Things went way downhill since. Almond and castor oil, cream and wax, brush and buff - and the shoe wouldn't take the wax (the wax ended up on the cloth when I tried to buff it). Eventually I went with saddle soap a few times and the toe turned... rough, for the lack of a better word.
Think I might've broken through the factory finish too.
Is there anything I can do to salvage it? View attachment 1536807

A common misconception is that leather shoes made of full grain leather have a finish apart from the dye and waxes. They don't. There's no special layer. It's just dye and polish.

So even if you started messing with this, no big deal. Very worst case, you can redye em.

I'd suggest putting the shoes aside for a bit to dry out. I feel the leather may be wet after all you did. Then use pigmented cream and buff. After that, try the wax again.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve recently purchased a pair of Trickers Stow boots. They’re shrunken grain and Taupe in colour:
View attachment 1537585

I’d love some advice as to how to care for them.

I wondered whether Saphir Beige cream would be a close enough colour match, though suspect I’d be best off going with neutral?

Given the shrunken grain I assume I should stay away from a hard polish?

If I stuck some Saphir Super Invulner on them would I get away with wearing them in the wet or, given the colour, should I just pull them out on dry days?

You can use whatever polish you please. Some WAx would add a nice overall shine.

Once you use the super invulner there'd be no reason not to wear these in the rain.

fini

Reaction score
I read somewhere, a long time ago, that you should stay away from wax polish with pebble grain due to it building up in the grain and had assumed the same held true for shrunken grain. Sounds like that’s not a consideration and all should be fine?

My question around Saphir Beige was really around colour-matching. I really like the colour at the moment and don’t want to push it in any direction, thus why I’m considering neutral. If the beige, in real life, is a good match then I think that’d make more sense than the neutral, but I’ve not seen Saphir’s beige personally and with lockdown can’t go anywhere to see it.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere, a long time ago, that you should stay away from wax polish with pebble grain due to it building up in the grain and had assumed the same held true for shrunken grain. Sounds like that’s not a consideration and all should be fine?

My question around Saphir Beige was really around colour-matching. I really like the colour at the moment and don’t want to push it in any direction, thus why I’m considering neutral. If the beige, in real life, is a good match then I think that’d make more sense than the neutral, but I’ve not seen Saphir’s beige personally and with lockdown can’t go anywhere to see it.

Just don't cake it on. You can always clean it off with a cotton swab and neutral wax used as a cleaning agent if it gets too caked.

If you like that specific colour, use neutral. I couldn't tell you if beige would work.

You may want to get saphir's colour chart.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just purchased a pair of Allen Edmonds Kenilworth PTB in vegano brown. Is there anything I should keep in mind when polishing vegano? From what I understand, it's a crust leather, and therefore I should avoid renovateur. Any other suggestions, e.g. sticking to neutral creams and waxes?

ronscuba

Reaction score
Walnut Johnston Murphy's need new heel caps, but they are not worth spending money on. Decided to experiment with some red cream polish. Came out better than I expected. Kind of chili-ish.

WIN_20210122_13_25_37_Pro.jpg

Johnniegold

Reaction score
Walnut Johnston Murphy's need new heel caps, but they are not worth spending money on. Decided to experiment with some red cream polish. Came out better than I expected. Kind of chili-ish.

View attachment 1540929
Those came out looking great. Are they from the old Domani Made in Italy line by J&M? I have a pair very similar to those that are in, what was at the time, called “Tuscan Red”.

A99839C4-D484-4007-8DA3-8C68CB83E52A.jpeg
79DEAF9B-1574-45DD-94BE-5A00148B421D.jpeg

Last edited:

ronscuba

Reaction score
Those came out looking great. Are they from the old Domani Made in Italy line by J&M? I have a pair very similar to those that are in, what was at the time, called “Tuscan Red”.

View attachment 1540957 View attachment 1540959
Mine are Conard Cap toe, about $150 new. I have go back and use a Q-tip to get the welt. I like the shoe, but the rubber heel cap wore out way too fast.

Fill1998

Reaction score
IMG_20210123_131018.jpg

Gentlemen, I am totally clueless, uspet and don't know what to do at this point. I tried my first ever patina and while left shoe (on pic right) turned out great, the other one just can't soak the pigment. I only used two products - Saphir Renovateur and Saphir Pommadieur (dark brown plus mahagony). Somehow on right shoe, the tip didn't get that datk brown soaked even after like 12 coats/layers, while left shoe did. Meanwhile area behind that tip of right shoe somehow got darker than left shoe. Other than that, heel, sides and top is good on my eyes. Question is, what should I do at this point? I would like to somehow fix the right shoe, so tip would get dark brown as left shoe and area behind that would be lighter just like on left shoe. I just spent hour and half on that right and I am really upset. Thanks for valuable tips.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads