• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fredrikkm

Reaction score
Mostly reno, and wax or cream if needed. I'm pretty lazy with my shoes. I don't like my shoes too shiny, and I find using reno regularly, and occasionally wax/cream gives it the level of shine I like. My regimen would probably not work to well if you bull your shoes etc..

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm the complete opposite by wanting various degrees on shine on my shoes; mirror-like on my black cap-toes, and a lovely luster on my brogues. I also mix different colours of cream and wax to create an individual patina, and I know the cream helps with some conditioning of the leather.

Last edited:

fredrikkm

Reaction score
I use a layer of cream in various colours on the shoes I want a bit of colour variation on. That's pretty much the only time I use cream, other than when I get deep scuffs.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yeah, that's about the only time cream is needed. :) With cream and some wax, if wanted, on the toes, I almost exclusively use Reno until I want to strip the shoes or they get some damage.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have begun to use Obaneufs LP in small amounts on the vamps of my shoes as conditioner. For regular daily stuff, just reno. Over the years I have treated all my shoes pretty much the same way with a lot of variation in the results as far as longevity goes. I feel that the variables inherent in leather itself being that it came off of a living creature offers much more heaches than products you use on them. For example I have a bunch of crockett and jones shoes on the same last. None of them see bad weather. One pair is cracking badly. Why? Maybe that cow had a smoking habit, or maybe a dude at the tannery was hungover and lazy, who knows?

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use some OLP as well, but only on the shoes I use In the rain and waxy calf shoes. Is OLP anything like Saphirs Dubbin? Good idea with using it on the vamp, I have been tempted on trying that as well, but the thought of ruining my chances of getting the level of shine I want is holding me back. The properties of the different leather is of course something to also take into consideration, and what might work for someone can leave a whole other result for others.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I imagine the result of dubbin would be similar, however Obaneufs is all plant based, whereas Saphir's dubbin has mink oil in it I believe. They probably have a bunch of overlapping in ingredients though. One thing that Kirby in his tutorials stresses, which is equally important for Obaneaufs is letting it sit for a few days to soak in. Obaneufs as well as dubbin soaks in better if a lot of the wax is removed already and letting it sit and soak makes a big difference. After it sits you can wipe any residue of and apply a bit of reno, then polish. You get a very nice luster. You shouldn't be mirror shining the vamps on your shoes anyway, so to have them slightly matte with a luster in the vamp area is not only good for the shoe, but it gives them a bit of character with the whole, shiny toe, matte vamp, shiny quarters look.

I mean firefighters use this stuff on their boots that get covered in water and are exposed to high heat. Firefighters swear by the stuff. That says a lot for somebody who is just walking through some rain.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I imagine the result of dubbin would be similar, however Obaneufs is all plant based, whereas Saphir's dubbin has mink oil in it I believe. They probably have a bunch of overlapping in ingredients though. One thing that Kirby in his tutorials stresses, which is equally important for Obaneaufs is letting it sit for a few days to soak in. Obaneufs as well as dubbin soaks in better if a lot of the wax is removed already and letting it sit and soak makes a big difference. After it sits you can wipe any residue of and apply a bit of reno, then polish. You get a very nice luster. You shouldn't be mirror shining the vamps on your shoes anyway, so to have them slightly matte with a luster in the vamp area is not only good for the shoe, but it gives them a bit of character with the whole, shiny toe, matte vamp, shiny quarters look.
I mean firefighters use this stuff on their boots that get covered in water and are exposed to high heat. Firefighters swear by the stuff. That says a lot for somebody who is just walking through some rain.

Thanks for the tip, will be absolutely be used!

No, I absolutely don't mirror shine the vamp, I actually don't use wax on the vamp at all. Here's a pic of my C&J to show how they look after some wear:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

In my experience dubbin is more waxy than a conditioner/cleaner. You'd want to apply it after, not before conditioner as it's more of a protector.

I use it on the soles of my shoes and the uppers of some of my more rugged work boots.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In my experience dubbin is more waxy than a conditioner/cleaner. You'd want to apply it after, not before conditioner as it's more of a protector.
I use it on the soles of my shoes and the uppers of some of my more rugged work boots.

Hell, maybe before and after?

SHS

Reaction score

Well to elaborate, If I wish to condition shoes I use Nivea face cream - the standard, original formula and to lightly clean shoes I use a baby wipe.

Anyone who thinks they use fancy products during manufacture is misguided.

You should have said this some 2000+ posts ago. It would have saved us all a lot of time, money and trouble. :D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics