**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Mostly reno, and wax or cream if needed. I'm pretty lazy with my shoes. I don't like my shoes too shiny, and I find using reno regularly, and occasionally wax/cream gives it the level of shine I like. My regimen would probably not work to well if you bull your shoes etc..

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I'm the complete opposite by wanting various degrees on shine on my shoes; mirror-like on my black cap-toes, and a lovely luster on my brogues. I also mix different colours of cream and wax to create an individual patina, and I know the cream helps with some conditioning of the leather.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  3. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

I use a layer of cream in various colours on the shoes I want a bit of colour variation on. That's pretty much the only time I use cream, other than when I get deep scuffs.

4. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Well yeah, that's about the only time cream is needed. :) With cream and some wax, if wanted, on the toes, I almost exclusively use Reno until I want to strip the shoes or they get some damage.

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have begun to use Obaneufs LP in small amounts on the vamps of my shoes as conditioner. For regular daily stuff, just reno. Over the years I have treated all my shoes pretty much the same way with a lot of variation in the results as far as longevity goes. I feel that the variables inherent in leather itself being that it came off of a living creature offers much more heaches than products you use on them. For example I have a bunch of crockett and jones shoes on the same last. None of them see bad weather. One pair is cracking badly. Why? Maybe that cow had a smoking habit, or maybe a dude at the tannery was hungover and lazy, who knows?

6. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I use some OLP as well, but only on the shoes I use In the rain and waxy calf shoes. Is OLP anything like Saphirs Dubbin? Good idea with using it on the vamp, I have been tempted on trying that as well, but the thought of ruining my chances of getting the level of shine I want is holding me back. The properties of the different leather is of course something to also take into consideration, and what might work for someone can leave a whole other result for others.

7. patrickBOOTH

I imagine the result of dubbin would be similar, however Obaneufs is all plant based, whereas Saphir's dubbin has mink oil in it I believe. They probably have a bunch of overlapping in ingredients though. One thing that Kirby in his tutorials stresses, which is equally important for Obaneaufs is letting it sit for a few days to soak in. Obaneufs as well as dubbin soaks in better if a lot of the wax is removed already and letting it sit and soak makes a big difference. After it sits you can wipe any residue of and apply a bit of reno, then polish. You get a very nice luster. You shouldn't be mirror shining the vamps on your shoes anyway, so to have them slightly matte with a luster in the vamp area is not only good for the shoe, but it gives them a bit of character with the whole, shiny toe, matte vamp, shiny quarters look.

I mean firefighters use this stuff on their boots that get covered in water and are exposed to high heat. Firefighters swear by the stuff. That says a lot for somebody who is just walking through some rain.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  8. fredrikkm

fredrikkm Senior member

Sounds like a good idea to do from time to time. I'll be sure to try it.

9. patrickBOOTH

Montana Pitch Blend is also good stuff.

10. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Thanks for the tip, will be absolutely be used!

No, I absolutely don't mirror shine the vamp, I actually don't use wax on the vamp at all. Here's a pic of my C&J to show how they look after some wear:

[​IMG]

11. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

In my experience dubbin is more waxy than a conditioner/cleaner. You'd want to apply it after, not before conditioner as it's more of a protector.

I use it on the soles of my shoes and the uppers of some of my more rugged work boots.

12. patrickBOOTH

Hell, maybe before and after?

13. SHS

SHS Senior member

You should have said this some 2000+ posts ago. It would have saved us all a lot of time, money and trouble. :D

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

Nivea face cream is kinda expensive.

15. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

No as expensive as Reno'er.